Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will Camping do now?
What will Camping do now?
This is a man who has spent many, many years pouring over the Bible trying to work out the date of the end of the world and somehow I don't think he's going to give up now.

I suspect that he will shortly come up with an explanation for his error and proclaim a new date for the second coming and most of his followers will fall for it.

Or perhaps he's simply killed himself Undecided
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: What will Camping do now?
Apparently no ones seen him for a while so maybe he was the only one raptured.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I'm guessing he'll make up a batch of special Kool Aid and take a drink.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(May 22, 2011 at 11:18 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: I'm guessing he'll make up a batch of special Kool Aid and take a drink.

Fingers crossed.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Oh, he'll make up some story about how the non-believers spoiled it for the rest of them. He'll say that we didn't have faith and that god couldn't return to such a hostile environment. Or some such bullshit.

Men like that always have a clever response when things don't work out like they said they would.

In the end, he'll probably just say that this was god "testing" the believers and they they need to have more faith...oh, and donate more money to him.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
He obviously doesn't have much of a life. Spending years dwelling on and predicting the end.
What a complete waste.

Well, as I see it. He's 89, so yes the world is going to end soon......but from his eyes only.
But no afterlife, just endless oblivion. Which is something we all will face, no matter what belief we poses.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Riding on the Subway ("A" line) this morning, I overheard a woman not quite taking Camping's side, but certainly helping in the task of gathering scattered bullshit to support his cause. She said: "I think that the reverend Camping may have saved us by doing this: maybe his tireless work to make people accept Jesus as their savior, actually convinced the Lord to change his mind, that we should be granted a few more years, that there is good in all of us." Well, Lah - deeh -dah...!

1. Isn't "the Lord" supposed to be absolutely perfect and all powerful? A perfect being cannot possibly "change his mind" about anything. He is supposed to get it right the first time!

2. When I was young, I read this Finnish novel called "Sinuhe the Egyptian", by Mika Waltari. In this novel, the main character is crossing the Estearn Mediterranean, when his ship is boarded by pirates. These pirates give everybody on board a hard choice: convert to Islam or have your throat slashed; Sinuhe converts to Islam, and I wouldn't blame him. The point is that, choices made under threat of a horrible death are worthless! If a few more people decided to switch teams and join team Jesus, because they were convinced that they would die within a week, and roast in hell for eternity... well, how good is that? Again, this is something that Augusto Pinochet or Josef Stalin might try, but "our Lord"?!!!

3. But in fact, it reminded me of this stupid joke I learned in school: a man is walking down the street, loudly clapping his hands every few seconds. And somebody asks him: "Why are you doing that?". He responds: "Well, I am scaring the crocodiles away". "But there are no crocodiles in this town!". And he responds: "See, it is working!".

For what is worth, I still believe Harold Camping is as much of an idiot as he was yeterday.

Enjoy your post-armageddon parties.
“Millions of New Yorkers are good with God. Are you good with God?"
Poster Ad in the Staten Island Ferry terminal
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And if you are, are you also good with the Tooth Fairy? How about the Easter Bunny?"
My proposed addendum
(May 22, 2011 at 11:03 am)oggtheclever Wrote: This is a man who has spent many, many years pouring over the Bible trying to work out the date of the end of the world and somehow I don't think he's going to give up now.

I suspect that he will shortly come up with an explanation for his error and proclaim a new date for the second coming and most of his followers will fall for it.

I recall reading in one of the many articles about this nutjob that he says all of the "unbelievers" will be dead by October 21, 2011. He seems to imply that May 21 was "the beginning" of the end of the world. I'm sure he'll point to the magnitude 3.5 earthquake centered 600 miles from New Zealand as a "sign" that the end has begun (along with the volcano erupting in Iceland), and that now we have six more months to repent or perish.

On October 22 he will come up with some more bullshit to explain why things didn't happen the way he predicted.
"If there are gaps they are in our knowledge, not in things themselves." Chapman Cohen

"Shit-apples don't fall far from the shit-tree, Randy." Mr. Lahey
(May 22, 2011 at 11:03 am)oggtheclever Wrote: This is a man who has spent many, many years pouring over the Bible trying to work out the date of the end of the world and somehow I don't think he's going to give up now.

We should be so lucky.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Camping: What's the Harm? thesummerqueen 23 4104 May 24, 2011 at 8:16 am
Last Post: Napoléon