Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 4:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
New user in disguise. Hi. Pleased ta meet'cha.
New user in disguise. Hi. Pleased ta meet'cha.
Hi.

I am not going to reveal my age. Nor will I reveal my religious views, or lack thereof. I'll let you guess. as I post more to the fora here.

No, I am not trolling (in the sense I am trying to incite arguments).

I found this site using the AltaVista search engine. I was not referred here by a particular person.

I am male, middle-aged, twice-married. A disabled veteran (epilepsy ended my career).

I enjoy calligraphy, ham radio, and playing music. (I won't comment on my alleged level of accomplishment in the first and third.) I enjoy conversation about all sorts of topics. (There are few topics which I would find "offensive.") I read a great deal (primarily Science-Fiction, Fantasy, and Romances). I am the alleged president of my community's local Friends of the Library organization. (My wife holds most of the other positions.)

My education and affiliations will also remain a mystery for now, beyond membership in the Disabled American Veterans organization.

My family is quite small, consisting of my wife, and my son from my first marriage. My father was killed in Vietnam when I was seven, my mother was also in the service then, but later went to college, obtaining a degree in Psychology. She is currently an Irish folk musician, and plays at O'Hare Airport. My sister was also in the service, then went to college for Veterinary Science, and now works for a Hollywood company that gives military instruction to actors and movie companies for authenticity in military subjects.

Mostly I will read here; I probably won't post much. I doubt I could hold up much in the way of learning against either atheist/rationalist/free-thinker members, nor theistic apology or philosophy. This is mostly an education experience for me.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
RE: New user in disguise. Hi. Pleased ta meet'cha.
It seems quite disingenuous to me to withhold your very basic belief system. No one here needs an in-depth report or anything.

But I suppose I will welcome you anyway. For now.
[Image: Evolution.png]

You were affiliated with the army and you are now affiliated with the library.

You are (likely) in your 40's... how much more accuracy would I want?

Hello... why so convoluted when you say these things anyway? Won't reveal age, yet you do... won't reveal education and affiliations, when you have... not trolling, and use a non-google search engine...

And also use large text size for some reason unknown to me... since this is supposedly for your education, I'll add something useful:

When posting on a forum, the best way to remain anonymous is to *not* say you won't say something. That creates intrigue. Simply do not say it, and if it is asked of you: dodge it. Be bland, and nobody will care for a second taste. Tiger
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(May 25, 2011 at 8:06 pm)Cinjin Cain Wrote: It seems quite disingenuous to me to withhold your very basic belief system. No one here needs an in-depth report or anything.

It is partly a childish guessing game (can a religious or non-religious person actually out the views of a third party by inference or statements alone) and partly for defense (having been subjected to ad hominen attacks by both atheist and religious alike).

It is not disingenuous, however.
–adjective: lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity; falsely or hypocritically ingenuous; insincere: Her excuse was rather disingenuous.

I was quite frank: I wouldn't say, for now. It is quite sincere. It is not hypocritical.

Thank you for your provisional welcome.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
As is usual, dictionaries are used not for what they are (a list of words), but as a sacrosanct ultimate destiny that decides truth and judges as a god. Heart

Some would say to just ignore me... I'm our 'resident crazy'

[Image: 13979_over_the_hedge_hammy_the_squirrel.jpg]

I say just chill out, relax, and smile... and you won't be made the mare of Bad Horse Smile
(May 25, 2011 at 8:13 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: You were affiliated with the army and you are now affiliated with the library.

You are (likely) in your 40's... how much more accuracy would I want?

Hello... why so convoluted when you say these things anyway? Won't reveal age, yet you do... won't reveal education and affiliations, when you have... not trolling, and use a non-google search engine...

And also use large text size for some reason unknown to me... since this is supposedly for your education, I'll add something useful:

When posting on a forum, the best way to remain anonymous is to *not* say you won't say something. That creates intrigue. Simply do not say it, and if it is asked of you: dodge it. Be bland, and nobody will care for a second taste. Tiger

Didn't say I was in the Army (though that could be inferred). I use a larger type-font because of my less-than-perfect vision. Plus it stands out and makes me feel self-important. Smile

I am not sure I can be bland, though maybe I can be blah. Or blonde, with some peroxide.

I did not reveal my education (beyond inferred military training), nor my age (you missed), nor my affiliations beyond the DAV and library.

I suppose in a sense, everyone trolls on fora: if everyone agreed about everything, there wouldn't be much to talk about. The sense of trolling I mean is I will not deliberately go out of the way to be insulting or cast aspersions on another's person, education, or credentials. Doesn't mean I won't call fouls when I see 'em, nor does it mean I am perfect and will never be guilty of the same.

But I'd rather read here than tell you what I am not going to say about me. Y'all's conversation is much more interesting than mine.

(May 25, 2011 at 8:15 pm)Anymouse Wrote:
(May 25, 2011 at 8:06 pm)Cinjin Cain Wrote: It seems quite disingenuous to me to withhold your very basic belief system. No one here needs an in-depth report or anything.

It is partly a childish guessing game (can a religious or non-religious person actually out the views of a third party by inference or statements alone) and partly for defense (having been subjected to ad hominen attacks by both atheist and religious alike).

It is not disingenuous, however.
–adjective: lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity; falsely or hypocritically ingenuous; insincere: Her excuse was rather disingenuous.

I was quite frank: I wouldn't say, for now. It is quite sincere. It is not hypocritical.

Thank you for your provisional welcome.

You're welcome. I think the term was fitting - even according to the definition you posted. However, since I don't really care that much. I will digress and simply say that you will probably at least be interesting, if not another Statler Waldorf. Hopefully the former.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Anymouse Wrote:]Plus it stands out and makes me feel self-important.

'Army' is my general term for military. You could have been air force, navy, marines, <whatever nonsense designation because Susan knows we need more useless names>... and I'll still sum all of the forces stuffed inside the groups as an 'army'.

It also makes you look 'holier-than-thou'... which is partly where cinjin's comment came from.

True, but you did infact reveal some of your affiliations Tongue

Good... then you aren't a troll as I worry about them. The large text still annoys me... but you must be on a PC. I'm on a mac and I usually increase the font size on my webpages by using command+. Which means that while the text is overlarge for everyone: it is especially large for me.

My conversations typically are more interesting than everyone else's put together... but that's only because I'm the most beautiful, most loved, most lots of positive things as I see them, being in existence Tiger
(May 25, 2011 at 8:30 pm)Cinjin Cain Wrote: if not another Statler Waldorf.

Woah Cinjin... even for me that would be out of line Panic

Wink
Welcome to the forums. Feel free to share, not share, lurk or post as much as you like.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(May 25, 2011 at 8:33 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: 'Army' is my general term for military. You could have been air force, navy, marines, <whatever nonsense designation because Susan knows we need more useless names>... and I'll still sum all of the forces stuffed inside the groups as an 'army'.
Okay, smaller type. I guess we could call all the services the Air Force. Whether or not they have flying ships and tanks. Smile

Thanks for the welcome; this is quite an interesting site.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AF User Map! wolf39us 142 50780 June 8, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  New user, recent deconvert Lucian 5 804 September 9, 2022 at 9:56 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Jeff Bradt, user since 2013, becoming active JP Bradt 42 6185 March 15, 2022 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Smile New User Introduction Militant_Atheist 14 977 September 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New User Baddogma 21 2133 July 23, 2019 at 7:41 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Nice to meet you. LuisDantas 28 2555 November 1, 2017 at 7:27 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Hola, Nice to Meet You Seraphina 35 4528 May 23, 2016 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
Big Grin New user! Fox 23 4273 September 2, 2015 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  hey we get to meet shortbusgangsta3 11 4558 June 30, 2014 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: shortbusgangsta3
Big Grin Nice to meet chyas. Duke Guilmon 15 4478 May 4, 2014 at 10:36 pm