Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firefox ... Good? Bad?
Firefox ... Good? Bad?
I downloaded Firefox because I was told it had good security and blah blah blah.

So basically I need to know if this was a good choice or if I should try again as it were.

and two ... and this is stupid ...

but, my cursor is constantly jumping around my screen while I'm typing. Sometimes moving to my pointer, sometimes a tab button ... Very Annoying!
I've never had this problem before with any other browsers and I'm wondering is their something I can toggle off or reset or chuck through a window pane.

Anyone?
I'm a construction superintendent ... computer jargon is only somewhat familiar to me. I could use some assist.
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Firefox ... Good? Bad?
This doesn't sound like Firefox behaviour to me. I've never had any problems with it; it is (in my opinion) the best of all the browsers on the market. In 2nd place comes Google Chrome, so if Firefox isn't working well for you, try that.

That said, if the cursor is jumping around the screen I would think that is probably a deeper computer issue. Firefox has no reason to move your cursor, nor does it have any code for doing so. It is likely some kind of error in your OS or a virus.

Also, this forum is for questions / problems with the forums. If you want to ask questions concerning computing, use the "Technology & Computing" forum.

Thread Moved
(June 1, 2011 at 11:26 pm)Tiberius Wrote: This doesn't sound like Firefox behaviour to me. I've never had any problems with it; it is (in my opinion) the best of all the browsers on the market. In 2nd place comes Google Chrome, so if Firefox isn't working well for you, try that.

That said, if the cursor is jumping around the screen I would think that is probably a deeper computer issue. Firefox has no reason to move your cursor, nor does it have any code for doing so. It is likely some kind of error in your OS or a virus.

Also, this forum is for questions / problems with the forums. If you want to ask questions concerning computing, use the "Technology & Computing" forum.

Thread Moved

Thank you.

Sounds like the computer's being too helpful. Check your "Ease of Access" settings.
I've been using Firefox since it was Phoenix 1.0 & have never seen that kind of behavior from it. You should also check out these extensions to really lock down your browser.

Other handy extensions:

Invisiblehand - automatically find the cheapest prices if you shop online.

IE Tab+ - useful for those (now thankfully) rare websites that require you to use IE.

Greasemonkey & Greasefire - let you use small bits of javascript to modify how websites work or are displayed on your browser. One of my favorite Greasemonkey scripts is RIAARadar. It helps me avoid RIAA artists while shopping for music online. Yeah, I'm that guy.

Image Zoom - lets you zoom in & out of images on the web.

New Tab King - changes the default blank tab to show a preview of your most visited websites, similar to Chromium.

Forecastfox Weather - configurable weather updates in your status bar.

AdBlock Plus - browse the web add free. This is doubly useful as it will also keep some rogue banner ads from being ran / viewed on your browser.

Foxytunes - lets you control nearly any media player directly from Firefox.

FireFTP - a nice FTP client built right into Firefox.

DownThemAll - adds a built in download manager to Firefox.

United States English Spellchecker - exactly what is says on the box Big Grin
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Thank you both Zilla and Jay

Since we're on the subject, here is a shameless plug of a security / privacy article I wrote about Firefox Add-ons.

http://cryptogasm.com/2011/05/best-secur...r-firefox/
(June 2, 2011 at 9:21 am)Tiberius Wrote: Since we're on the subject, here is a shameless plug of a security / privacy article I wrote about Firefox Add-ons.

http://cryptogasm.com/2011/05/best-secur...r-firefox/

Yeah, that was the first link in my post, I should have been a bit more clear. Big Grin
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Firefox works well but only if you use add-ons like Auto Pager and stuff like that.
I have a question, and I'm almost certain it's Firefox related...

I upgraded recently to Firefox 4. I also have the Google toolbar installed. Not sure if it's relevant, but anyway. I go to Google's home page or use the tool bar and type in a search query, like "Hello Kitty" for example. Then I decide to search for "Hello dog" next. But when I hit enter (or click the search button) it takes me back to the "Hello Kitty" search results. I have to close the browser (or window), and start a new search all over again . In IE, I have no problems. Ideas?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Error 502 bad gateway for Rational Responders Brian37 13 1297 April 23, 2022 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is Firefox quantum really better than Google Chrome? ErGingerbreadMandude 19 3129 November 19, 2017 at 2:31 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Firefox saved my ass... Jehanne 14 2781 October 12, 2016 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: RozKek
  What's the deal with general Crawler in Firefox? abaris 4 1954 June 12, 2015 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Anyone else having "adblock" Firefox problems? Foxaèr 16 4634 August 20, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Firefox 23, embedded flash (youtube) and https pocaracas 4 2237 August 8, 2013 at 11:13 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Website shows bad automated translations: a hoot! Anymouse 3 2072 June 30, 2011 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: Anymouse
  Best Security & Privacy Add-ons for Firefox Tiberius 9 5180 May 26, 2011 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn