Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New antimatter container
New antimatter container
Researchers at the Alpha collaboration have developed a more suitable containment method for isolating anti-hydrogen atoms, putting us a step close to understanding the properties of antimatter before it annihilates upon contact with the matter of the container:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13666892

Out of curiosity, were I, my body weighing at 13 stone made of antimatter, how much energy in joules, or tons, would be released from the explosion? I think my calculations fail because I'm unconsciously lying to myself about my own weight. ^^
RE: New antimatter container
"Beam me up, Scotty."
(June 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: Out of curiosity, were I, my body weighing at 13 stone made of antimatter, how much energy in joules, or tons, would be released from the explosion? I think my calculations fail because I'm unconsciously lying to myself about my own weight. ^^

Assuming you're correct then your antibody annihilating with another body would produce as much energy as 88841.28 Kilotons of TNT Great
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(June 6, 2011 at 3:29 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Assuming you're correct then your antibody annihilating with another body would produce as much energy as 88841.28 Kilotons of TNT Great
88 megatons?

That's a big squeak! Confused Fall

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Antimatter belt around Earth discovered by Pamela craft downbeatplumb 16 7839 August 10, 2011 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris