Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Einstein exibit cancelled in China for merging philosophy/history with it
Einstein exibit cancelled in China for merging philosophy/history with it

From the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13679688
The Historical Museum of Bern, Switzerland, has cancelled plans to put on an exhibition about the scientist Albert Einstein in Shanghai, China.

Shanghai's Science and Technology Museum had suggested merging the Einstein show with a display about the Chinese philosopher, Confucius.

A Hong Kong newspaper said Beijing had earlier asked for all references to World War II to be removed from the exhibit.

Neither the Shanghai nor the Bern museums have commented officially. (more at article)

China views science and history a bit differently than the West. Bern previously added a display about the Holocoust (why does the speller hit that?) and the Nazi Party when in Hong Kong, miffing the Communist government. So the Shanghai museum wanted to add Confucius, to balance the exhibit with a message of peace over the message of politics and war Bern wanted to add. Bern said they would rather cancel the entire exhibit than remove the information. China's short answer is they don't see why history and religion should be mixed up in a science display about Einstein, who received word of his Nobel Prize in Shanghai in 1931.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
RE: Einstein exibit cancelled in China for merging philosophy/history with it
Amazing to see that the US is not the only spoiled bully of a country who tries to get their way.

Kudos to the Swiss for pretty much saying "Take it or leave it" Big Grin
I think it is rather commendable to resist attempts to co-opt a person's reputation in science for the purpose of advocating a political, historic or religious view point.
(June 7, 2011 at 5:42 pm)Anymouse Wrote: China views science and history a bit differently than the West. Bern previously added a display about the Holocoust (why does the speller hit that?) and the Nazi Party when in Hong Kong, miffing the Communist government. So the Shanghai museum wanted to add Confucius, to balance the exhibit with a message of peace over the message of politics and war Bern wanted to add. Bern said they would rather cancel the entire exhibit than remove the information. China's short answer is they don't see why history and religion should be mixed up in a science display about Einstein, who received word of his Nobel Prize in Shanghai in 1931.
Well, I'm not sure of the context of the Holocaust itself in the exhibit; I know Einstein left Germany because he feared for his life in Hitler's Germany, but considering that he left shortly after Hitler rose to power, long before the Holocaust could officially go past the phase of simple persecution, I'm not entirely sure just how it would fit in there. On the same token, I'm not sure if deleting it would make the exhibit any better.

Of, and it's spelled Holocaust, with an "a."
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I think kudos are rightly deserved for resisting China's attempt to ride the coattails of a great man's legacy solely for their own greasy agenda.

@ Moros - Keep in mind that many many Americans are innocent of your accusation about the US. Like every other country, we have powerful leaders we cannot control.
My guess is that many of the commoners in China may feel the same way I do.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(June 7, 2011 at 8:51 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Of, and it's spelled Holocaust, with an "a."

Thank you. I had it wrong.

And I call myself a copyeditor. Hah.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Genesis History? Jehanne 21 5931 February 25, 2017 at 9:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Science and Philosophy popsthebuilder 13 2724 June 25, 2015 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Archaic Humans in China Minimalist 1 1276 March 19, 2012 at 7:20 am
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  While the US is fighting over the debt, China is planning to go to the moon little_monkey 20 10683 January 4, 2012 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake