Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biblical Morality
Biblical Morality
How inline with the bible is your morality?
http://www.gotoquiz.com/do_you_have_biblical_morals

I got 0%
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: Biblical Morality
lol ... Excellent Post ...

I got o% too shockingly ...

Sam
"We need not suppose more things to exist than are absolutely neccesary." William of Occam

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare (Measure for Measure: Act 1, Scene 4)

AgnosticAtheist
It's not bad, there's a similar one at the ffrf site, or you could check out the MoralMaster 2.0 Morality Monitor
Happiness is all that's important. What makes me happiest is making my loved ones happy.
0%, as expected.
"Evolution isn't a matter of belief. It is a scientific fact that you can either accept, or you're an idiot." - My humble self.

Come along to Herd-of-Cats to talk about whatever the hell you like.
LOL @ that quiz Wink Big Grin

Wanting to see a poll that could actually give some figures on the difference between morals of the religious and non religious. They'd both be pretty identical IMHO.
(March 1, 2009 at 11:05 am)fr0d0 Wrote: LOL @ that quiz Wink Big Grin

Wanting to see a poll that could actually give some figures on the difference between morals of the religious and non religious. They'd both be pretty identical IMHO.

In 9 out of 10 cases you're probably right. Our moral views come from a mixture of instinctual concepts and society-built ideals. Therefore, religious people accept these ideals and look for verses in scripture which agree with them, while systematically ignoring all contradictory verses. There's not much moral difference between us, unless you get onto topical arguments such a gay marriage, abortion and euthanasia.
(March 1, 2009 at 11:20 am)LukeMC Wrote: In 9 out of 10 cases you're probably right. Our moral views come from a mixture of instinctual concepts and society-built ideals. Therefore, religious people accept these ideals and look for verses in scripture which agree with them, while systematically ignoring all contradictory verses. There's not much moral difference between us, unless you get onto topical arguments such a gay marriage, abortion and euthanasia.
I think you could find good evolutionary reasons why the moral standards exist in bother 'realms'. Personally I can't see any contradictory verses, and I don't think puritanism is exclusive to some religious types.
(March 1, 2009 at 11:30 am)fr0d0 Wrote: I think you could find good evolutionary reasons why the moral standards exist in bother 'realms'. Personally I can't see any contradictory verses, and I don't think puritanism is exclusive to some religious types.

...Did you look hard enough for those contradictory verses?

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html Enjoy all the contradictions. Big Grin

As for morality evolving, I agree. But we had to drag Christianity kicking and screaming with us. Just consider slavery. When we wanted to abolish it in America those supporting slavery had to look no further than their holy book.

At the end of the day, you can pick and chose whatever bible versus to support your view of morality. I don't deny there are nice versus mixed in with the slavery, murder, rape, incest, genocide, etc... But I refuse to even consider a book that claims absolute morality and absolute truth when it says "love thy neighbor" in one breath and then in the next is ready to condemn people to hell, an infinite punishment for finite crimes, especially when a qualification for that is simply not believing.

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(March 1, 2009 at 11:58 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: ...Did you look hard enough for those contradictory verses?

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html Enjoy all the contradictions. Big Grin
I've seen those naive statements yes Wink

I haven't seen any that hold water.

(March 1, 2009 at 11:58 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: As for morality evolving, I agree. But we had to drag Christianity kicking and screaming with us. Just consider slavery. When we wanted to abolish it in America those supporting slavery had to look no further than their holy book.
The opposite is also true. Wilberforce was quite an influence I believe.

(March 1, 2009 at 11:58 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: At the end of the day, you can pick and chose whatever bible versus to support your view of morality.
Without guidance, or intellect, possibly. Wink
And of course you ignored my statement that the bible has slavery, murder, rape, incest, and genocide. We, or at least most of us, seem to know that those things are immoral but the bible doesn't follow. If you want a wife you rape her and then pay her father to marry her. Is that moral? Come on, yo
u know it's not because we've moved past that archaic morality. If you claim a book is absolutely true and the infallible word of god, then you MUST think all the above is correct and moral.

As for contradictions, if you assert that there are none that "hold water" than you either haven't done any serious of study of the bible and blindly assert it's all true, or you conveniently ignore any contradictions that conflict with your view, which is
the height of stupidity.

Seriously, you are coming here to an atheist forum and from what I see all your response are "No it's not!". How about some evidence to back up your statements. Oh, that's right, you don't think evidence has anything to say about god. So why are you here? Do you seriously think you could convince anyone of anything with your simple assertions?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2699 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  Christian morality delusions tackattack 87 8830 November 27, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Rebuke on Biblical Prophecy Narishma 12 1445 May 28, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Knowing god outside a biblical sense Foxaèr 60 10615 March 31, 2018 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 22158 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  So, what would an actual 'biblical' flood look like ?? vorlon13 64 14526 August 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality Mystical 30 5110 December 8, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Biblical Date Rape chimp3 38 6677 July 29, 2016 at 10:35 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Biblical Incest Foxaèr 35 6276 July 19, 2016 at 11:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  biblical diabetes cure brewer 30 8233 June 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist