Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay Marriage: Our Mutual Joy
Gay Marriage: Our Mutual Joy
Interesting article on gay marriage with a christian slant. I actually really enjoyed it, she had some good points. Obviously I don't believe in the bible and most things it stand for, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/172653/page/1
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
RE: Gay Marriage: Our Mutual Joy
Honestly, while it's nice that someone can ignore the religious BS about gays and find passages that would support gay marriage, I still don't like the fact she is referencing the same book that in one breath says "love thy neighbour" and in another says "Stone your unrully child."

People need to stop referencing this "holy" book, whether for good or ill. While I applaud the effort to show conservatives that the bible can be interpreted to support Gay Marriage, the quotes they use still supports their message and we need to stop picking and choosing quotes from an outdated book and discuss rationally and ethicly the reasons for allowing gay marriage. However, if that happened thee gay marriage debate would fall apart becuase the only opponents of gay marriage ARE religious with the minor exception of those who just oppose marriage in general.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
What Eilonnwy said. :p
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I agree with you guys, I just thought it was an interesting viewpoint. It goes to show that everything is up to interpretation, unless you just take it literally which in the case of the bible we'd all be screwed Tongue The one part that bothered me is why do no christians ever express the viewpoint of seperation of church and state. Even when I believed in God, I still accepted that our laws cannot be based on faith. Yet no christian seems to get this.
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
I am totally for gay marriage and I have a simple view,basically what you do in your bed room is your business and does not affect me in any way shape or form.Regarding the bible supporting gay marriage I totally disagree and most of the texts cited in that article were taken out of context.According to the scriptures any relationship of the same sex was considered an abomination to the biblical god and was punishable by death.
Leviticus 18:22
22.Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

That is stating it pretty damn clear.There are several passages like this one throughout the bible.I agree with Eilonnwy that the bible is an invalid document to live your life by.It was an interesting article to read thanks for that rockthatpiano.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."? Then that means that is okey for womankind to lie with womankind, as with mankind. Smile
Lesbianism rules! Big Grin
(February 25, 2009 at 9:14 pm)chatpilot Wrote: I am totally for gay marriage and I have a simple view,basically what you do in your bed room is your business and does not affect me in any way shape or form.
Who gets married in their bedroom?
You know what I meant by that meatball?Basically in my view if you want to have sex with someone of the same sex it has nothing to do with me.I am not against it and it does not affect me in any way shape or form.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Or as Keith Olbermann famously said, this is about love.
[youtube]hnHyy8gkNEE[/youtube]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Republicans are redefining marriage Foxaèr 5 656 August 26, 2020 at 10:02 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  While Judaism may have had forced marriage war booties, i think it reasons is for it Rakie 17 3967 August 2, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Interracial Marriage and the Bible strawdawg 163 32183 March 3, 2016 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Pope decries gay marriage and advances Christian persecution complex Aroura 28 3831 February 22, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Christian marriage in 2015 drfuzzy 14 4370 November 1, 2015 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  The Gaypocalypse[Bringing back Traditional Marriage] Heat 17 5790 October 20, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Oklahoma Republican wants to make secular marriage impossible. Esquilax 82 21730 February 6, 2015 at 3:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Catholic diocese refuses to sell land out of fear of gay marriage, but... Esquilax 14 4744 April 15, 2014 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  UKIP suspends councillor who blamed flooding on gay marriage zebo-the-fat 6 1838 January 19, 2014 at 1:40 pm
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Bad Christian advice for dating, marriage, etc RichardP 10 5855 January 9, 2013 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Gilgamesh