Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is everything True, even false things?
Is everything True, even false things?
I'd like to make a few points about an argument I've seen made at least on occasion, by theists, some even on this forum (like Godschild for one). It goes like this:

P) You cannot prove God doesn't exist.
C)Therefore God exists.

While, at first glance, the proposition may appear (and I emphasise the words "may appear") to be valid, further inspection shows that the argument is deeply flawed.

1) There are only three types of statements that can be totally disproved to absolute certainty: If you can prove that one statement is true, then any statement that is in direct contradiction to that proved statement is disproven. Ex: If it can be proven that if I am in my home in the Chicago suburbs, at any given time, then any statement that I am in, for instance, Ethiopia at the same time is automatically disproven (There are exceptions, but they tend to be rendered moot at any level above the Planck Length). The other type of statement that can be disproven is if there is a logical contradiction in the statement. Ex: There are square circles on the cereal box. Since a square is a four-sided polygon with straight edges, and a circle has no straight edges, there is a logical contradiction in the statement and it is disproven. The third type of statement, however, is more relevant to the argument at hand. If one is searching for something, and it can be absolutely proven that the thing is not there, then it can be disproven. Needless to say, the smaller the area to be searched, and the larger the thing to be found, the easier it is to disprove a statement. Ex: If you go to an open field and do not see a live tyrannosaurus Rex in that field, (assuming that you have managed to get a 360 degree view, and managed to figure out that there was no camouflage involved) you have disproven that there is a live T-Rex there, unless technology has advanced to the level where technology can actually render things invisible.

2) There are many things whose non-existence we take for granted. For instance: dragons, trolls, goblins, leprechauns, witches whose magic actually works, or unicorns. I could go on listing mythical creatures, but I must get to my point, and admit that even the non-existence of these creatures cannot be definitively disproven to absolute certainty in any of the manners mentioned above. The existence of none of these creatures causes logical contradictions, and there is always the possibility that we could have left a few stones unturned and they could be living there. If we were to apply the above argument to the creatures I mentioned, we would be left to assume one argument. To quote the Principia Discordia:

Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst Wrote:GP: Is Eris true?
M2: Everything is true.
GP: Even [apparently] false things?
M2: Even [apparently] false things are true.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
What's worse, this argument also applies to all the many types of Gods that people believe exists. There's no real reason that this argument should apply any more to Yahweh than to Zeus.

3) However, for most purposes, there are some ways to get into a state of reasonable certainty about a proposition. And essentially, those ways tend to boil down to having a dilligent search for something, testing to see if it is true, and failing to do so. For instance: Imagine that a friend of yours thinks there might be mice in his attic because he's been hearing some squeaking up there. Imagine that the two of you had managed to clear out the attic, and, just to make sure, the two of you decide to bring a freshly-baked loaf of bread and a large block of cheese up to the freshly cleared attic, and just to ensure that nobody messes with the test, you board up the attic door for a few days, probably pushing a towel under the attic door just to make sure that no mouse pups escape. If, after a few days, you removed those boards and went up to check up on the bread and cheese and find that there was no bite taken out of the bread or cheese, we could be reasonably certain that there are no mice up there.

4) You may be asking, what does this talk of mice and bite marks have to do with the existence of God? Simply put, unlike many theists, atheists do not find that there is much compelling evidence pointing to the existence of a God. Believe it or not, many atheists have actually looked into a lot of things that theists have claimed are proof of God, and didn't find them to be very compelling evidence. And, because they have looked dilligently for evidence of God's existence and failed to find it, it should be noted that, unless one can prove God's existence (in theory, proving something should be much easier than disproving it, or even gaining reasonable certainty about its falsity), their doubts still remain valid.

If anyone can see that this argument is asinine without my explanation, then congratulations. You are smarter than this Philosophy Professor who did some Post-Grad at Yale.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
RE: Is everything True, even false things?
Quote:While, at first glance, the proposition may appear to be valid

I disagree. The proposition is idiotic at first glance and never gets better. That's why it is used by ignorant fundies.
I am a theological noncognitivist. The god concept is so poorly defined as to be unable to be thought about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theological_noncognitivism

(June 20, 2011 at 11:42 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: I'd like to make a few points about an argument I've seen made surprisingly frequently by many theists on this forum. It goes like this:

P) You cannot prove God doesn't exist.
C)Therefore God exists.

While, at first glance, the proposition may appear to be valid, further inspection shows that the argument is deeply flawed.
They're not addressing ontological claims from the standpoint of absolute certainty, which is a red herring in any case, the proposition you’ve presented is a classic argument from ignorance and nothing more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance
Oh, I would also like to add that I don't think any of the theists here have made that argument, except maybe a few shit and runners. Could link to the threads that support your claim?

Thank you
Here's a few posts:
http://atheistforums.org/thread-7305-pos...#pid146668
http://atheistforums.org/thread-1281.htm...t+exist%22
http://atheistforums.org/thread-1521-pos...l#pid24115
http://atheistforums.org/thread-749-post...l#pid24199

It was the one on the top which prompted me to post this.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I don't know why you'd take anything that G-C says seriously. He's about the worst of the worst.

In that sense...a fine example of a true xtian!
Yes, I think we were all incredulous when Godschild came out with that. No theist replies just yet....that should be interesting Tongue
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon
(June 20, 2011 at 11:42 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: There are only three types of statements that can be totally disproved to absolute certainty: If you can prove that one statement is true, then any statement that is in direct contradiction to that proved statement is disproven. Ex: If it can be proven that if I am in my home in the Chicago suburbs, at any given time, then any statement that I am in, for instance, Ethiopia at the same time is automatically disproven. The other type of statement that can be disproven is if there is a logical contradiction in the statement. Ex: There are square circles on the cereal box. Since a square is a four-sided polygon, and a circle doesn't have sides to speak of, there is a logical contradiction in the statement and it is disproven. The third type of statement, however, is more relevant to the argument at hand. If one is searching for something, and it can be absolutely proven that the thing is not there, then it can be disproven. Needless to say, the smaller the area to be searched, and the larger the thing to be found, the easier it is to disprove a statement. Ex: If you go to an open field and do not see a live tyrannosaurus Rex in that field, you have disproven that there is a live T-Rex there.
I have a few nit-pickings with your examples here:

1) I wouldn't use time-based location as a good example for the first type of statement. For one, you can say both "I was in London at 6AM" and "I was in England at 6AM" and both statements could be equally true, but secondly, the bizarre nature of quantum mechanics means that some things can exist in two locations at the same time. A better example of a contradiction would be a simple one, for instance: "I am not a man" is a direct contradiction to "I am a man".

2) A circle has one side. Tongue

3) I think you'd have to go further in order to say that the T-Rex was "absolutely proven" not to be in the field. The T-Rex could be, for instance, behind you, or invisible, or camouflaged, etc. There is the famous example by Carl Sagan of the dragon in the garage which illustrates this point.

Ok, I'll give you Godschild did use that as a rebuttal, so that is an example, but I doubt that comprises her whole argument for God.

As for Scameter, I don't see it like you do. He did ask the question, "5. Can you be absolutely certain, without a doubt, that God or something supernatural does not exist?" But that is far from crafting an argument in the form you have presented.

I knew Anto before he was banned and his argument was far kookier than what you proposed, I was never able to get to the bottom of why he believed in God.

Anyway, my point is that, yes the argument you present is very bad, but it is also not used by the theists on these forums.

What you are doing is akin to a theist saying that atheists hate god and that is why they are atheist. You are beating the hell out of a strawman.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3892 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3132 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How To Tell What Is True From What Is Untrue. redpill 39 3649 December 28, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Is this Quite by Kenneth Boulding True Rhondazvous 11 1530 August 6, 2019 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Alan V
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11349 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Is it true that there is no absolute morality? WisdomOfTheTrees 259 25276 March 23, 2017 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? Mudhammam 268 31343 February 3, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Everything is nothing, and nothing is everything. goombah111 64 8668 January 3, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: goombah111
  Afterlife, I'd be happy if it were true..... maestroanth 35 3815 June 12, 2016 at 3:13 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  What is a gawd even? Pizza 30 5911 August 9, 2015 at 2:29 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude