Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims?
Religion New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims?
Reading an article on fox news. Link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/21/new...11victims/

Then it came up with an article about a new bible? Link: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/06/2...new-bible/

"The faith of atheism?" I don't honestly understand how atheism is our "faith"
2. Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.

I don't believe in a god so I am the complete opposite of the definition. I don't base what i know on spiritual apprehension, I base it on PROOF.

"Silverman said he would not be surprised if atheists are vilified for their criticism of the street sign"

Exactly right knowing that some religions like to shove their religion down your throat I wouldn't be surprised if some cretin started raging because some people didn't "believe" in what he did. There were alternative names they could have made up for the street but they chose a name that had to refer to "god". They even knew that atheist would complain about it, so lets do it anyway to make us look like the bad person. They could have approached this in a better way but for some odd reason they are "dumbfounded" by their actions?

Why do they assume playing these childish games? Like a bunch of children arguing. Would they like it if we made a street sign honoring 9/11 victims that said "God is not real"?
They act like a bunch of hypocrites. Have they ever stopped and thought what it would be like if they were a CHRISTIAN in a ATHEIST nation?

So how about we all grow up and stop constantly starting fights they can't win.

Even the butter battle book by Dr. Seuss has more morals than the bible - http://www.teachpeace.com/drseussbutterbattle.htm
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
RE: Religion New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims?

Why do they assume playing these childish games? Like a bunch of children arguing. Would they like it if we made a street sign honoring 9/11 victims that said "God is not real"?
They act like a bunch of hypocrites. Have they ever stopped and thought what it would be like if they were a CHRISTIAN in a ATHEIST nation?

[/quote]

if Russia won the cold war rather than the US, would you perfer to live like the Russains
RE: Religion New York Atheists Angry Over 'Heaven' Street Sign Honoring Sept. 11 Victims?

One wonders if the seven so "honoured" were in fact all Christians.

And in mentioning city names that incorporate Christian ideas, they failed to mention insignia, such as Virginia Beach's seal, which incorporates a Latin Cross. I had to tote one around on my city property tax sticker on my car the whole time I was stationed there, and defacing the city sticker (for example, by cutting the cross out of the sticker or pasting a pentacle over it) is illegal.

As to the question of public hearings on the street sign, I wonder how "public" those hearing actually were? And how does the mayor know, even if all seven were professed Christians, that they are all in Heaven? My understanding is a person's judgement covers all his life, not just the last hour.

It seems to me that such a name as "Seven Heroes Way" or something might be less offensive, and certainly avoid entanglement of endorsing religion. However, with the First Amendment in serious danger of actually being shredded, the point might become moot.

And the percentage given of self-professed Christians (89% or something like that) seems a bit high. Out of what hat did Mayor Bloomberg pull that rabbit?

The majority forgets that we are a Christian nation (if the number is right), but we are a Secular state. Novus ordo seculorum. Right on the back of the One Dollar Bill (under the "In God We Trust moniker that is actually a recent edition to the money.)

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
It's Fox News. Of course they're going to stir up controversy and make atheists look like a bunch of angry assholes. But when a Muslim group were building a community center, they were all for stirring up controversy and implying that it shouldn't be allowed, because a "ground zero mosque" is offensive.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(June 23, 2011 at 10:28 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: It's Fox News. Of course they're going to stir up controversy and make atheists look like a bunch of angry assholes. But when a Muslim group were building a community center, they were all for stirring up controversy and implying that it shouldn't be allowed, because a "ground zero mosque" is offensive.

I mentioned on another thread (or maybe this one) that (here in the new town I live in) a new neighbour got in an argument with me that ended with him trying to choke the life out of me, my wife beating back his arm with her cane, and him pushing her off her feet and storming out.

The offense was over a discussion of that mosque, and his response was: would we allow a Shinto shrine to be built near Pearl Harbor? After I pointed out on Mapquest seven Shinto shrines closer than the proposed mosque, he snapped in a fury of Christian love.

What gets me though is that so many so-called conservative Americans allow a foreigner like Rupert Murdoch tell them what to think. Next he'll run for the office of "Jesus."

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion-Killing: The Silent Genocide: 2 Billion Deaths Victims Worldwide. Nishant Xavier 343 14651 September 2, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4029 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Help me not fear heaven/hell Fleeing Jesus 128 12888 June 18, 2019 at 5:08 am
Last Post: SenseMaker007
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18094 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11026 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2176 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Angry, condescending atheists Starman 91 10477 February 26, 2018 at 6:44 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Street Epistemology - Practice curiosne 156 26237 January 23, 2018 at 8:55 am
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  you can keep heaven Amarok 32 6498 November 25, 2016 at 11:54 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Jeffrey Jay Lowder VICTIMs of Christian Apologetics video GrandizerII 7 2386 October 26, 2016 at 9:18 am
Last Post: abaris