Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The invention of scriptural faith
The invention of scriptural faith
Once upon a time, about six million years ago, God and Satan were sitting in a rowboat, fishing the Pleistocene seas. God had a bit of a distracted look about him.

"I think I know what's bothering you," Satan ventured.

"Indeed?" God replied.

"It's those monkeys, the ones out on the plains, walking on two legs and figuring out how to bang rocks against each other and such. They are going to keep evolving, and soon they'll develop introspection, and higher levels of inquisitiveness."

God nodded. "And then," Satan gravely intoned, "they'll start bothering us for favors, fighting over whatever they think we'll find endearing."

"I suppose" God sighed, "sooner or later we're going to have to start letting some of those souls into Heaven, as well."

"I've though about that," Satan brightened up, "and I have a plan!!" From his rucksack, Satan produced a thick, black-covered book.

God accepted the book and began paging through it. "What's this?" God muttered, "it has everything out of order. The stars existed for billions of years before life on this planet, and.... flood the whole world? I'd never do such a thing!! Ordering one tribe to kill off the city of another? Sending bears to kill children? Demanding sacrifices?" He continued to page through, shaking his head. "And this part, where I have a son, who is at the same time myself, and then I sacrifice myself to myself to do I'm-not-sure-what about some original sin I supposedly lumped on man -- that whole part doesn't make a lick of sense!!"

"Exactly!!" crowed Satan. "Now, look, once we start letting souls into Heaven, we'll only want the reasonable, rational types there, otherwise it will be unbearable. So...." he lofted the book, "any who believe this sort of claptrap...."

"I see -- we send this book down, and then whoever's dumb enough or crazy enough, or just plain self-centered enough to buy into it gets a one-way ticket straight out of my eternal presence!!"

"And," Satan added, "just to be sure, I've put together a few dozen variations. All equally inane, but collectively sure to strain out anyone who can't muster the common sense to overcome the implications of the whole range of malarky."

"So," God pursed his lips, "that leaves just one loose end.... what to do with all the souls of the ones who believe this sort of nonsense?"

Satan had thought that through as well. "Most of these books posit some pretty brutal treatment for nonbelievers, and so anyone who does buy into the bull must come off being of the opinion that such is the proper outcome for whomever chooses poorly in the belief stakes. So, let them give themselves the experience of the torment they would think it fitting for others to go through."

"Hmmmm" God nodded thoughtfully -- and then mumbled another thought to himself. "Buy.... bull. Has a sort of ring to it."

And so it was.

The end.
RE: The invention of scriptural faith
(June 21, 2011 at 10:27 pm)Arcos Plage Wrote: Once upon a time, about six million years ago, God and Satan were sitting in a rowboat, fishing the Pleistocene seas.

Like all story told of god and Satan, this one is a tall tale. Pleistocene didn't begin until 2.8 million years ago. Big Grin

Good Omens comes to mind.
Trying to update my sig ...
Hijacking the thread on a related musing.

You know, it occurs to me, that if humans had never developed writing, no holy books would exist?

There might be tales and stories handed down from generation to generation, but no neighbour kids trying to cram the Bible down my son's throat when he was growing up.

Of course science would also have a monumental wall to overcome, but imagine a written language where religious ideas had not been invented, sort of like 1984 except not for political reasons.
Hijack

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
I just think the smartest man in the cave, made up some stories on why earthquakes, floods and animal were killing them and then it all got carried away from thereCool Shades
Some of us have caught on, however.
But there's always the call of the wild to some. Back to the cave, people! Jeebus is reported to have farted there, or at least off-gassed while dead!
RE: Hijacking the thread on a related musing.
(June 22, 2011 at 4:46 am)Anymouse Wrote:
You know, it occurs to me, that if humans had never developed writing, no holy books would exist?

There might be tales and stories handed down from generation to generation, but no neighbour kids trying to cram the Bible down my son's throat when he was growing up.

Of course science would also have a monumental wall to overcome, but imagine a written language where religious ideas had not been invented, sort of like 1984 except not for political reasons.
Hijack

But the premise of the hijacking is impractical. Presumably, humans indeed handed down ideas through oral communication through thousands, maybe millions of generations until writing was invented; and it was this invention which allowed the preservation of technological progress, leading up to modern civilisation. Religious ideas were probably amongst the stuff being handed down orally. Look how superstitius baseball players are in the year 2011, with their 'lucky shoes' and 'lucky underwear' and whatnot. Imagine primitives in the plains, without a clear understanding of cause and effect, hoping for every advantage in the hunt (and, when some coincidence led to a lucky hunt, trying to replicate every aspect of events leading to that luck, including things which we modernly know can not have had anything to do with the day's success).
"Don't use Flattened Crow's lucky spear!"
(June 22, 2011 at 9:46 pm)Epimethean Wrote: But there's always the call of the wild to some. Back to the cave, people! Jeebus is reported to have farted there, or at least off-gassed while dead!

That's how the Adam's Family started.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Faith Media: Global Christian Population to reach 3.3 BN by 2050. Nishant Xavier 270 13016 September 30, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1459 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Question about "faith" rockyrockford 428 34563 December 22, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Local woman says only way she has survived during COVID is faith Tomatoshadow2 41 2802 December 21, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7825 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  My atheism religious faith is being shaken... Won2blv 37 8779 November 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 12653 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Atheism "now world's third biggest 'faith'" madog 23 4666 July 30, 2016 at 6:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  Something to shake the very foundation of your lack of faith yukapuka 306 37937 January 18, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  I have an active faith houseofcantor 20 5932 October 12, 2015 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet