Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People obsessed with religion
People obsessed with religion
I was just browsing on youtube, and I found some videos. the first relevant is:
(that guy comments an x-men comic book - read the things written in the comic book)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slH7UnyttYU

It's about an x-men comic book, which seems to be filled with things about religion (like, mutants being crucified and verses from the bible to justify it, stuff like that)

other stuff I found:

and

The fact is that I didn't buy the comic books, but from what I've just seen, my reaction is something like: WHAT THE FUCK!??

I mean, it's quite astounding (at least for me) when I see people so obsessed with religious stuff (whether pro or contra). Damn it, can't people just put stuff in comic books & cartoons & movies that have NO religious stuff in it?? (I mean, without having the words "God", "Jesus Christ", "religions", "Bible", etc.). Besides of the fact that the first video gives a stupid (which for some reasons appears to be intentionally stupid) view on the Crusades, etc.

Also, having comic books (which are meant for kids) filled with religious (and anti-religious) ideas is a kind of spooky, at least to me. And it sounds a bit like indoctrination (putting one's own philosophies and theories in children's minds, by use of... fairytales).

What opinions do you have, guys?
RE: People obsessed with religion
Quote:And it sounds a bit like indoctrination (putting one's own philosophies and theories in children's minds, by use of... fairytales).
Lol thats the bible for ya?

I don't think a x-man comic would be any fun to read anyways.
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
I'm sorry but I couldn't get through half of the first video. That guy just seemed to be whining because the comic wasn't sensitive to his point of view on god. He needs to get over it and move on with his life. Sure, the writing seemed terrible, but that's not what he really focused on. I have no problem with religion being in comic books, because they can make a great foundation for a story like Spawn.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(June 24, 2011 at 8:57 pm)MilesTailsPrower Wrote:
Quote:And it sounds a bit like indoctrination (putting one's own philosophies and theories in children's minds, by use of... fairytales).

I meant, philosophies pro religion/anti-religion/neutral regarding religion, to be put in fairytales (x-men comic books).
I have also once noticed a few years ago wiccan stuff put in some cartoons. that's weird too.

oh, and some stuff regarding the x-men comic book: nightcrawler (that blue guy with hair and devil tail, that looks like a demon) was supposed to become Pope (I understand, Catholic Pope), but his strong sexual desire impeded him to. weeeird.
(June 24, 2011 at 9:07 pm)Zenith Wrote:
(June 24, 2011 at 8:57 pm)MilesTailsPrower Wrote:

I meant, philosophies pro religion/anti-religion/neutral regarding religion, to be put in fairytales (x-men comic books).
I have also once noticed a few years ago wiccan stuff in some cartoons. that's weird too.

If religion helps the comic than it's alright, but trying to convince people it's real is sorta wrong. I don't really care what kind of shit a comic book has in it, unless it's good. But FaithNoMore made a good example with the Spawn comic.

For example if it's some sort of racist comic (Idk), saying that the jews are not people and should be killed, is a example of a indoctrination. Basically the topic is about having someones personal beliefs in a comic book trying to convince you their beliefs. (I honestly don't know, I'm not really thinking at all today?)

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
(June 24, 2011 at 9:16 pm)MilesTailsPrower Wrote: If religion helps the comic than it's alright, but trying to convince people it's real is sorta wrong. I don't really care what kind of shit a comic book has in it, unless it's good. But FaithNoMore made a good example with the Spawn comic.

For example if it's some sort of racist comic (Idk), saying that the jews are not people and should be killed, is a example of a indoctrination. Basically the topic is about having someones personal beliefs in a comic book trying to convince you their beliefs. (I honestly don't know, I'm not really thinking at all today?)

The wrong part with that comic book is that educative stuff for children should be historical book, historical documentaries, etc (i.e. the real stuff). NOT one's own views represented in fairytales.

Yeah, and the insane/foolish part of the comic books is the rest.

As about the Crusades: I wrote once a post regarding it (namely, regarding the understanding of it as "war asked by God"), I have been replied with:
Zenith Wrote:
Cinjin Cain Wrote:First of all zenith, the comic is meant to be satirical not a historical misprepresentation.
Secondly, EVERYONE knows that the Crusades were political
Don't worry, there are. Hopefully none on this site, but there are.
And my post was here:
http://atheistforums.org/thread-6947-pos...#pid138633
(the first post of mine on that page, namely post #14).
(June 24, 2011 at 9:23 pm)Zenith Wrote:
(June 24, 2011 at 9:16 pm)MilesTailsPrower Wrote: If religion helps the comic than it's alright, but trying to convince people it's real is sorta wrong. I don't really care what kind of shit a comic book has in it, unless it's good. But FaithNoMore made a good example with the Spawn comic.

The wrong part with this is that educative stuff for children should be historical book, historical documentaries, etc (i.e. the real stuff). NOT one's ideas represented in fairytales.

Yeah, and the insane/foolish part of the comic books is the rest.

I didn't watch the video, but you are right about educative stuff for children should be historical book with REAL events that actually happened. In my social studies class before christmas break, my teacher made the class watch The Nativity Story. She stopped the movie because some people fell asleep and I got in trouble for laughing at one part, that she took very serious.

(June 24, 2011 at 9:02 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: I have no problem with religion being in comic books, because they can make a great foundation for a story like Spawn.

I don't know about anything of Spawn (I've only took a look on wikipedia about it, now), but... I guess it doesn't contain quotes from the qur'an or from the bible to prove points, it doesn't have crosses or the islamic crescent as banner, it doesn't have crusades or jihads represented, it doesn't have "Muhammud" or "Jesus Christ" or other stuff like that.

Btw, that guy in the video, i guess he intended to be rather critique and funny. You'll figure that out if you follow the whole 3 videos.

Fiction always contains elements of reality. Reality in this context meaning a piece of the real world, even if that added bit is considered fictional. Without real world elements, there can be no suspension of disbelief, which is essential to creating a readable work of fiction. I have no problem with that tether to reality being religion because religion is real.
(June 24, 2011 at 8:45 pm)Zenith Wrote: What opinions do you have, guys?

Meh, I see lots of it. I see theists put religion in films, programs, music and all that. I'm not surprised even a little.
Typical behaviour.
They put religion in things that have fuck all to do with religion. They just want to put their shits into everything, just to keep up the pressure on ramming their religious bullshit down our throats.
Most of the time I just ignore them.

We need to find a way to somehow do the same, see how they like it when films, programs and music mention secularism or gay rights, or rejection of religion. Of course they will say that we're attacking them and try to hide the fact that they've been playing that game for fucking decades!
Always trying to play the victim.

Like that billboard that said "Don't believe in god? You're not alone". Somehow that was offensive, yet they failed to mention how. Always trying to play victim. They don't like it when people think for themselves.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1933 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4195 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Famous people losing their religion: stories Fake Messiah 14 2733 May 21, 2018 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Common Sense shows religion screws people up. Usalabs 11 2794 March 20, 2017 at 12:34 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  What makes people believe in religion? LetThereBeNoGod 11 3165 February 21, 2017 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Religion should be encouraged if it has positive effects on people.What do you think? ErGingerbreadMandude 31 5495 December 27, 2016 at 2:07 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  they're obsessed with us DramaQueen 2 855 February 10, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Are there people you CANNOT discuss religion with? Mudhammam 19 4296 June 23, 2014 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16544 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism
Exclamation If people will ask you why do you hate religion,... MountainsWinAgain 16 3957 June 5, 2014 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: archangle