Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism versus Destiny
Atheism versus Destiny
Atheism,we all agree ,believes that the entire World is governed by scientific laws ,accessible by rational thinking to the human mind and that supranatural explanations of Nature through the existence of God are only a creation of religions.
Atheism does not need to disprove the existence of God by scientific laws because it is sure above any doubt that God is a creation of man "in his image" not only as a hystoric phenomenon from immemorable times, but that the human who believes in His existence creates Him in his mind just the moment he thinks of Him.
The creation of God by man ,although imaginaire ,stems from a lot of spiritual needs and comes to his help at various times of his life especially in times of distress.
I am not going to elaborate more on this aspect of atheism because there are so many modes to present the issue ,I would say as almost equal to the numbers of the members of that forum.
Now the problem which arised in the thread of "Atheist groups" was how does atheism thackle the problem of Destiny.
Destiny,I consider, is a "last frontier " of religion.
You will find a lot of people who don't see themselves as believers in God but in time of personal distress will draw out from the depth of their mind the Destiny and put the blame on her saying : Nothing doing it's Destiny.
The problem is to my opinion a cornerstone of atheism because we must accept that tha Nature is governed by two intertwined kinds of laws :deterministic ones and undeterministic or random or chaotic (there are a lot of terms) ones.
The first to formulate that were the physicists Bohr and Heisenberg with the "principle of uncertainety" applied to the quantum mechanics.
Stephen Hawking and others extended it to the study of black holes .
Since then the principle was admitted as a general one of Nature.
This principle replaces the former tendency to explain Nature only by
deterministic laws -with statistic laws.
What is a statistic law? It is a law which contains deterministic probable events together whith undeterministic events.
Have a look on the surrounding medium and you will find that we are plunged in an ocean of statistic laws,some of them related closely to our dayly life.
So a lot of events occurring to us are not a result of some hidden equations which are governing our lives but as a result of indeterministic
,random events on which we have little power ,if at all.
So no supranatural Destiny nor predetemined "scientific"equations but
sometimes random events that's what atheism has to accept as one of the powers of Nature.
I submit this issue to the discussion of all members of the forum.
RE: Atheism versus Destiny
I found two threads of the same name and post. Looks like a double post, I've taken care of it. Smile
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
RE: Atheism versus Destiny
I always find stream-of-consciousness style writing hard to follow. Confused
Atheism as a Religion
-------------------
A man also or woman that hath a Macintosh, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with used and abandoned Windows 3.1 floppy disks: their blood shall be upon them. Leviticus 20:27

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27084 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge LadyForCamus 471 67462 February 17, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Cartoons: propaganda versus the giant gorilla Deepthunk 4 1852 October 19, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Deepthunk
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 5918 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12456 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12126 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10467 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12001 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38059 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack
  determinism versus indeterminism josef rosenkranz 49 28738 January 15, 2009 at 7:58 am
Last Post: peregrine