Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting article on proposed energy policies.
Interesting article on proposed energy policies.
This is the second time today I've linked an article by this gentleman. He makes what appear to be some good points. Refreshing to hear someone addressing the practicality of our current pet solutions, rather than arguing for or against the "problem" itself.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/27/...e_thorium/

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: Interesting article on proposed energy policies.
I've always thought "wind power" was a big waste of time.
Definitely not the silver bullet. It's effectiveness relies very much on local conditions regarding available energy from wind vs patterns of local energy consumption. Perhaps if we had better storage technology...then it would be a stronger contender. (briefly touched upon in the article actually)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
My position has always been that the solution to the problem of global warming is probably not as complex as many seem to think.requiring 'only' a dose of reality.IE appeal to self interest. I for one could not care less what happens to the environment after I''m gone. I DO care about higher petrol and electricity prices AND that in my state I may no longer buy incandescent light bulbs.

Here,the government pays a subsidy of up to $7000 if you go solar AND you get paid for any excess power you produce. Such systems pay for themselves in less than in ten years,PLUS the capital cost is reducing rapidly. I will probably have solar panels installed in about 3 years.

Here it is anticipated that within a decade or less, virtually all new built in Australia will have solar panels. At that time electric cars become feasible.
Australia has a great argument for solar. I also like some of the integrated agriculture-aquaculture ideas that have become such a hot hobby over there. Now, if your customs guys and police officers would stop reminding me that my visa was soon to expire like they couldn't wait to get rid of me.......
(July 5, 2011 at 11:21 am)Napoleon Wrote: I've always thought "wind power" was a big waste of time.

Where I live, it has proven to work well. However, the equipment makes our harbor and certain beaches look like shit. They aren't exactly ugly, but you can't see through them.
I live in the desert where entire counties could be covered in solar panels and it would only annoy the scorpions. Why they don't do it is beyond me.
(July 6, 2011 at 12:15 am)Minimalist Wrote: I live in the desert where entire counties could be covered in solar panels and it would only annoy the scorpions. Why they don't do it is beyond me.

Because where the sun is is where the people are not. The efficient delivery of power over long distances from where the sun is to where the people are requires high voltage transmission lines, the higher the voltage, the more efficient the delivery, and that economically competitive the green power they deliver. Unfortunately where the sun is is also where the high voltage transmission lines are mostly not. Because new high voltage transmission lines are very long things that must necessarily go through many people's backyards and which fit poorly with most people's idea of attractive landscaping, to say nothing of the pseudoscience surrounding rumors of their harmful effects, proposals to build new power lines usually generate the NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) reaction in magnitudes unparalleled even by nuclear power plants, and as a result they are fiendishly difficult to get permitted. It also doesn't help that they cost several million dollars a mile to build. This is why solar plants don't sprout up more often in boonies where cactus grow.

(July 5, 2011 at 11:45 pm)Shell B Wrote:
(July 5, 2011 at 11:21 am)Napoleon Wrote: I've always thought "wind power" was a big waste of time.

Where I live, it has proven to work well. However, the equipment makes our harbor and certain beaches look like shit. They aren't exactly ugly, but you can't see through them.

The problem with wind power in many parts of the world is wind tends to blow the hardest when people turn out their lights to go to sleep. And there is no really good way to store the energy generated for use when people wake up and start using the power.

(July 5, 2011 at 11:45 pm)Shell B Wrote: Where I live, it has proven to work well. However, the equipment makes our harbor and certain beaches look like shit. They aren't exactly ugly, but you can't see through them.

It's not even the fact that they are huge eye sores on the land scape which bothers me. It's just it seems like there is not enough energy produced for the amount of wind farms which you have.

I'm not promoting nuclear power but when you consider the energy output you can get from nuclear fission, it's pretty lame in comparison.

Wind power just seems to be unreliable also, because it's not necessarily available when you need it most.
A valid criticism of wind based energy systems, but again, more to do with storage than with winds ability to generate energy. Nuclear by comparison is indeed much more reliable....but for some strange reason its a dirty word in some circles.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interesting Scenario BrianSoddingBoru4 5 304 August 28, 2020 at 11:16 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Trump supporters made a very interesting video brewer 19 1388 October 15, 2019 at 7:18 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Interesting Turn of Events in California Minimalist 25 2977 May 12, 2018 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Article in the NYT looking at liberal vs conservative polarization Whateverist 16 1497 March 12, 2018 at 2:52 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Article of impeachment has been filed NuclearEnergy 13 3104 July 12, 2017 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Supreme Court Cases (and other interesting cases) - A Thread! TheRealJoeFish 11 3552 June 2, 2017 at 11:58 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  Rick Perry to Head the Energy Department: Kiss Government Climate Science Goodbye Crossless2.0 31 5451 December 14, 2016 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  A Good Article Minimalist 16 1845 November 24, 2016 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: abaris
  A good article for understanding what motivates Trumpsters from their point of view Whateverist 15 2189 November 17, 2016 at 4:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  BalancedRebelion.com interesting website for 3rd party voters ReptilianPeon 0 680 September 13, 2016 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon