Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imaginary friends of mathematics.
Imaginary friends of mathematics.

Forgive my lack of training on the subject of higher maths. (I only have been to high school, the US Navy, and now edit Romance novels).

A thought occurred to me: mathematicians have imaginary friends, too. Just like theists. Imaginary numbers: for example, the square root of -1.

Considering this, I went further, as an atheist might to challenge the claims propounded for a deity by a theist, one example being argument by absurdity.

So if we have this imaginary number i, that only exists to define the square root of negative numbers (you cannot give an example of i apples, for instance), what happens if you take the square root of i? Does the entire body of mathematics collapse into a black hole, or does the mathematician's brain short?

James. Always more absurdities. Always.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
RE: Imaginary friends of mathematics.
Taking a square root of an imaginary number gives a complex number that is part real, part imaginary, and that is no joke. And don't be too glib about what is obsurd.

Ah, you're just writing this because I yelled out, "s**2 * sin (a)" and "Laplace transformation" and "dx/dt (x**2) = 2x" this morning before settling in on "Square Root of -PI!!!!" That is no more imaginary than "Oh God!" Wink

Squares of imaginary numbers are complex, just like life. Almost everything is part real and part imaginary.
(July 5, 2011 at 6:50 pm)Anymouse Wrote:
Forgive my lack of training on the subject of higher maths. (I only have been to high school, the US Navy, and now edit Romance novels).

A thought occurred to me: mathematicians have imaginary friends, too. Just like theists. Imaginary numbers: for example, the square root of -1.

Considering this, I went further, as an atheist might to challenge the claims propounded for a deity by a theist, one example being argument by absurdity.

So if we have this imaginary number i, that only exists to define the square root of negative numbers (you cannot give an example of i apples, for instance), what happens if you take the square root of i? Does the entire body of mathematics collapse into a black hole, or does the mathematician's brain short?

Facepalm

Applications of complex numbers
http://tinyurl.com/2bfmbog

Problem solved.
(July 5, 2011 at 6:50 pm)Anymouse Wrote:

Squaring i and therefore getting complex numbers is the pillar of modern electrical engineering. I gather their brains didn't implode from squaring it Wink
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
It's probably best to picture complex numbers as an extension perpendicular from zero on a real number sequence.

Like this:

It's pretty integral to civil engineering too (amongst other fields), so I should bloody hope they work or a few buildings might fall down!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Studying Mathematics Thread GrandizerII 221 21107 November 19, 2018 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Are you into mathematics? Do you have any cake? ErGingerbreadMandude 71 8835 February 9, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Is mathematics discovered, developed, or both? Macoleco 26 3687 December 3, 2016 at 11:12 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Can mathematics act causally? Freedom of thought 6 2360 May 30, 2014 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Mathematics and the Universe Purple Rabbit 77 30510 January 10, 2009 at 6:27 am
Last Post: DD_8630
  Indeterminism in mathematics josef rosenkranz 9 6637 September 27, 2008 at 11:20 am
Last Post: josef rosenkranz