Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 10:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just got The God Delusion
Just got The God Delusion
Went to the library today and checked out "The God Delusion" I was actually amazed it was in the library at all. Could anybody tell how good the book is? Because I'm doing stuff for my birthday today and I plan on reading it tonight, it's either my AP reading assignment or "The God Delusion".
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
RE: Just got The God Delusion
I wasnt impressed by it. Yes, it was a good book, but it was a rehash on moest everything I already knew.
(July 14, 2011 at 8:11 pm)MilesTailsPrower Wrote: Went to the library today and checked out "The God Delusion" I was actually amazed it was in the library at all. Could anybody tell how good the book is? Because I'm doing stuff for my birthday today and I plan on reading it tonight, it's either my AP reading assignment or "The God Delusion".

While it is not a bad book and a lot what Dawkins discusses I would agree with. However Dawkins as brilliant of a biologist he is, is at best a first year philosophy student.
undefined
I think it is a good book, it's probably a rehash of the thoughts of Grug the caveman, which he artfully depicted on his cave wall, but this doesn't detract from its worth.
Unfortunately Grug was killed before completing his tour to promote his God He Not There cave art. Most sources blame Kong The Prophet of God, but Kongans still maintain the rock was thrown by god. They even claim the blessed can descry god's thumb print on the holy relic Smitos, Smiter of False Bastards.
[Image: YgZ8E.png]
I've been meaning to do a video explaining deism to Dr. Dawkins. He seems to be relying on the dictionary too much, the same dictionary that also gets atheism wrong.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Good to know I'm not the only one. He seems to make for good soundbytes, again biology is his thing. Not sure I'd rate him as a first rate writer either. Even after all that, still a good book, worth the read.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 14, 2011 at 8:11 pm)MilesTailsPrower Wrote: Went to the library today and checked out "The God Delusion" I was actually amazed it was in the library at all. Could anybody tell how good the book is? Because I'm doing stuff for my birthday today and I plan on reading it tonight, it's either my AP reading assignment or "The God Delusion".

Well, I suppose that, of the "four horsemen," he's probably one of the least radical, and I respect him for that. I discovered that book shortly after I became an atheist, so I suppose that it's a reason I hold the book in a high regard. That said, don't be too surprised if you end up thinking it doesn't tell you anything you didn't already know.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(July 14, 2011 at 8:13 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: I wasnt impressed by it. Yes, it was a good book, but it was a rehash on moest everything I already knew.

At least someone agrees with me, I though the book was rather bad - Dawkins is great when he deals with Evolution and Secularism but on everything else, especially addressing the philosophical arguments for the existence of God, he does terribly.
Probably because those "philosophical arguments" are pretty fucking stupid to begin with.
So the fact that Dakwins gets these 'stupid' arguments so completely backwards must suggest he's a bit of an idiot too, right? I mean if they're so obviously 'stupid' he's really got no excuse for failing to represent them accurately and then making arguments against his own straw men that still don't work... In some of his arguments it's literally like an open invitation to theists to "refute this bullshit" and seeing as how bad his philosophical arguments are even a half-ass apologist can deal with a great number of them with ease.

Far from being 'pretty fucking stupid' a great many of them are complicated, well thought out and are even intellectually impressive - Some of them when tackled honestly do in fact raise the prior probability of a God relative to alternative explanations, lending a degree of credibility to the general idea - None of them manage to establish existence and seeing as there is no strong evidence the prior probability is often all they have to work with, but as far as improving the debate on metaphysical, mental, experiential and conceptual issues many theist philosophers, especially Plantinga and Swinburne in my view, have done a great service to philosophy.

Hell, even William Craig manages to fucking destroy the like of Hitchens and Harris on conceptual and philosophical issues - As evinced by the debates he had with both of them - and Craig with his KCA (which is NOT one of the impressive arguments) isn't even near the quality of Plantinga.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I deal with the belief that maybe... Just maybe... God exists and I'm... Gentle_Idiot 75 6316 November 23, 2022 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  the atheist delusion(who started it or that notion?) Quill01 2 564 July 25, 2022 at 6:54 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  "You just want to be your own god"? zwanzig 48 4292 July 7, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5682 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Ok Atheists! I have God Delusion! Catholic_Lady 54 9731 April 14, 2018 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Thought on this video about "Atheist delusion"? Macoleco 3 1300 October 30, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  "God doesn't Exist just like Unicorns don't Exist?" RiddledWithFear 17 2962 December 21, 2016 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  The Atheist Delusion Foxaèr 25 4324 October 18, 2016 at 12:15 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Have I just demonstrated a deist god? Socratic Meth Head 11 2454 May 21, 2016 at 12:17 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Beatles song hey ya got to hide your love away is very relateable for forever single Rextos 3 1232 March 15, 2016 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Little lunch