Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 2:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do Atheists believe the Bible as?
What do Atheists believe the Bible as?
Time and time again, I hear that the Bible is wrong and a tool to brainwash. Me, being a Christian, don't fully understand the atheist's position. What do you believe about the Bible? Was it created for brainwashing people? Or was it created by people who truly believed that they were influenced by a god when there is none?

I personally believe that it is the word of God, and it's the only word of God we can base Christianity on.
RE: What do Atheists believe the Bible as?
While it would be impossible to know exactly what the authors/compilers believed, it's not a difficult stretch to assume that some were devout believers, some were seeking power or wealth, and yet more were misunderstood. There are also the contributions of printers and editors who do not believe, and still manage to help keep the bible alive and well. The bible is many things, one of the least likely things it could be, is the word of god. The reasons and arguments against the bible (and all religious texts) as truth are varied. It would be easier if you were to explain why you feel that it is the word of god. Show us how you came to that conclusion. Much better starting point.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It was a collection of thoughts which slowly aggragated into a support device for a continuing movement and in so doing, became sacrosanct.

Really, though, all it is is an anthology.
Trying to update my sig ...
(July 17, 2011 at 11:46 am)TheCarlisle Wrote: Was it created for brainwashing people? Or was it created by people who truly believed that they were influenced by a god when there is none?

A bit of both really. Leaders from all factions have pretty much relied on religion to control the population. The people really believed it, leaders saw the advantages of it.
It is for the most part, control.

Believing it was 'divinely inspired' doesn't make it so. You are pretty much taking their word for it, and you gotta have awfully low standards to accept such things purely on word of mouth.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(July 17, 2011 at 11:46 am)TheCarlisle Wrote: Time and time again, I hear that the Bible is wrong and a tool to brainwash. Me, being a Christian, don't fully understand the atheist's position. What do you believe about the Bible? Was it created for brainwashing people? Or was it created by people who truly believed that they were influenced by a god when there is none?

I personally believe that it is the word of God, and it's the only word of God we can base Christianity on.

Its a book writen by commitee.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Op. If people said the same thing these days, that god told them this so it's true, they spoke to god etc, they would be put in a funny farm. Why, when it was written 1850 years ago should we think these people any different. Either poor people suffering delusions, or, conniving shits wanting to control others.
(July 17, 2011 at 12:03 pm)Ace Otana Wrote: A bit of both really. Leaders from all factions have pretty much relied on religion to control the population. The people really believed it, leaders saw the advantages of it.
It is for the most part, control.

Believing it was 'divinely inspired' doesn't make it so. You are pretty much taking their word for it, and you gotta have awfully low standards to accept such things purely on word of mouth.

On top of believing in these people's words, there is archaeological evidence that support those words. For example, it has been proven that Egyptians had Hebrew slaves, there were the plagues as mentioned in the Bible, and the Hebrew slaves were either freed (a very unlikely scenario) or left by means of war. There is no evidence of a war or uprising by the slaves, so they must have been freed. But why would the Egyptians free their slaves around the same time as the plagues?
Uh oh. Here we go again ...
Trying to update my sig ...
Indeed, if people back then claimed such things now, think you'll find that no one would take them seriously. It was written in a time long before the scientific method. Back in a time period where superstition was strong and no one dared question. People, who knew very little of the natural world. Very little of anything in fact. So, it would of been pretty easy to sway minds back then. Simple tricks and illusions were considered witchcraft just a few hundred years ago. Executions were common.

There is a reason why we don't take words from such uneducated people back then seriously, because they knew no better.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Carlisle, present your evidence for Exodus. While you're at it, heres an article from a Rabbi that may help to ease the loss of this conviction for you

http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Judaism/...appen.aspx

I also feel that I may have to mention that there are innumerable works of fiction that give alternative histories for events that actually occurred. Is this proof then that god spoke through the authors?

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 4135 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 9162 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Who do not atheists believe? Interaktive 12 2279 March 25, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3149 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2176 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheists interpret bible verses sinnerdaniel94 307 44894 October 19, 2015 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Atheists only: Do you believe in Absolute/Universal Truth? Tsun Tsu 29 9060 October 31, 2014 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  What The Hell Do People Believe In If They Don't Believe In God? MountainsWinAgain 36 8705 May 30, 2014 at 3:22 am
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  How atheists can still believe in God? Foxaèr 9 2856 May 9, 2014 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Atheists... why do you believe that God doesn't exist? fr0d0 356 51494 May 3, 2014 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Brian37