Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 12:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Proselytizer's Dream
The Proselytizer's Dream
Lately, the forum has been awash in christians trying to "challange" atheists. I have no idea whether some of these nutters get together on christian sites and make a strategy plan to invade, but I can see why they do so.

Much like the farmer who manages to cultivate seemingly infertile land, if a christian can draw even one atheist away from atheism and into christian dogma, a great sense of victory must come of it. Sowing seeds in the most hostile territory possible (well, with the possible exception of muslim sites, but the muslims come here often for a similar notion) is missionary work.

I understand that part of atheism must be its ability to hold rational discourse with religious folk. I do wonder whether there is a way to asses the diminishing value of holding such conversations with those who have no chance of being persuaded out of their dogma. We go round and round with such types, and no amount of reason or questioning can bring the believer closer to reason. Consequently, I wonder at the value of letting christians who never accede that they have only their faith to stand on remain here. I am in general against censorship, but I feel that at times, it is good to repel infection fast and not to rely on the host to develop a resistance.

Have there been this many christian wankers coming on historically? Can they be dumped after an initial post or two into the Gauntlet, or some new Daedalian maze with something nasty waiting within? Just thinking here, but wondering whether there might be some way of diverting useless distractions into some hall of mirrors where those who want to fuck with them can go, but where the wankers can be contained.
Trying to update my sig ...
RE: The Proselytizer's Dream
Oh IDK if the discussions have no value. One isn't so in control of his mind as he would like to believe. While we're on agricultural metaphors; the seed of doubt is a powerful thing.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Perhaps, but I think the crows with crosses take most of those seeds before they germinate.
Trying to update my sig ...
Here is a thought: we treat fanatics with smug sarcasm and strikes from the banhammer. The only palpable reason for a theist to visit this site is to ask questions...questions they abslutely cannot ask their priest, pastor, parents, etc. The skeptical theist may find refuge here if not for a short while. Otherwise, debates with theists accomplish nothing on either side. To my surprise, it may take many of us three 11-page threads to realize that the pretentious (who believes his bullshit) preacher is actually trolling. Seriously, why do we even try? In the grand scheme of things, we end up wasting time reporting, debating, and banning these self-centered sabetours. We should only acknowledge theists who wish to learn, and cast out the other 90%. By doing so, we can use our time to discuss genuinely intellectual topics and advocate this website both offline and online, so exponentially larger portions of skeptical theists may find us. We can only help those who help themselves. These trolls are only abusing the freedoms we ardently uphold. Congruently, we perpetuate idolness by not making this website a haven for skeptical theists; it becomes a cesspool for trolls who wish to "debate" (something that most people cannot do to begin with).
Quote:I do wonder whether there is a way to asses the diminishing value of holding such conversations with those who have no chance of being persuaded out of their dogma.

I'll generally give them 3-4 posts to show that they are a cut above the ordinary bible-thumping shithead class. With some, it doesn't take that long. Others it takes a little longer.

After that..............

(July 17, 2011 at 12:40 pm)Epimethean Wrote: Lately, the forum has been awash in christians trying to "challange" atheists. I have no idea whether some of these nutters get together on christian sites and make a strategy plan to invade, but I can see why they do so.

Much like the farmer who manages to cultivate seemingly infertile land, if a christian can draw even one atheist away from atheism and into christian dogma, a great sense of victory must come of it. Sowing seeds in the most hostile territory possible (well, with the possible exception of muslim sites, but the muslims come here often for a similar notion) is missionary work.

I understand that part of atheism must be its ability to hold rational discourse with religious folk. I do wonder whether there is a way to asses the diminishing value of holding such conversations with those who have no chance of being persuaded out of their dogma. We go round and round with such types, and no amount of reason or questioning can bring the believer closer to reason. Consequently, I wonder at the value of letting christians who never accede that they have only their faith to stand on remain here. I am in general against censorship, but I feel that at times, it is good to repel infection fast and not to rely on the host to develop a resistance.

Have there been this many christian wankers coming on historically? Can they be dumped after an initial post or two into the Gauntlet, or some new Daedalian maze with something nasty waiting within? Just thinking here, but wondering whether there might be some way of diverting useless distractions into some hall of mirrors where those who want to fuck with them can go, but where the wankers can be contained.

I agree 90%. I think ALL new recruits should only be able to post in the pit at first. That way we can see if they are good potentials and the new members can feel out the worst at the very first. If they have an open mind and good sense of humor, then give them normal member access. We can give them a one week wait period (or maybe a few days) just to feel them out. We can tag them all "n00bs" or something humorous. Sort of like joining a frat. Lets haze them and see how willing they are to "pay their dues".
(July 17, 2011 at 1:20 pm)Spectrum Wrote: Here is a thought: we treat fanatics with smug sarcasm and strikes from the banhammer. The only palpable reason for a theist to visit this site is to ask questions...questions they abslutely cannot ask their priest, pastor, parents, etc. The skeptical theist may find refuge here if not for a short while. Otherwise, debates with theists accomplish nothing on either side. To my surprise, it may take many of us three 11-page threads to realize that the pretentious (who believes his bullshit) preacher is actually trolling. Seriously, why do we even try? In the grand scheme of things, we end up wasting time reporting, debating, and banning these self-centered sabetours. We should only acknowledge theists who wish to learn, and cast out the other 90%. By doing so, we can use our time to discuss genuinely intellectual topics and advocate this website both offline and online, so exponentially larger portions of skeptical theists may find us. We can only help those who help themselves. These trolls are only abusing the freedoms we ardently uphold. Congruently, we perpetuate idolness by not making this website a haven for skeptical theists; it becomes a cesspool for trolls who wish to "debate" (something that most people cannot do to begin with).

Well said...here here...very well written.

Clap

I agree. That is the reason I blocked the two biggest fundies on the forum. I will not say their names because TROLLS should be ignored and smacked repeatedly with Mjolnir, the mighty BAN HAMMER! they dodge simple bible verses and that should NOT be tolerated. Its one thing if we are discussing VERY complicated issues, such as world economics or the subtle differences between Nihilism and Absurdism. When trolls says :"the bible doesnt say that Hell is a lake of fire." and then after I show them SEVERAL verses in simple context they still refuse to acknowledge it... they need to be dealt with. How can we teache them if we do not penalize them for their egregious ignorances?

Im not saying get rid of them. I am saying we have a pit over there that we can toss them in until they admit ignoring the obvious. If they dont want to face reality, then what the FUCK are they doing here in the first place.

The cool christians/deists/believers/atheists are fine with me. Their minds are much more open and friendly, and that is what I would like this forum to be. A group of open minded and friendly people working out their minor differences and having fun at the same time.

I rated your account up for that one Spectrum.
I've never heard of a Atheist getting converted to Christianity in my whole life, if so he must have not been an atheists.

Just imagine what kind of hell this site would be if all the aliens from westboro baptist church signed up to preach and picket the site outside of a military funeral. Wouldn't make any sense? That's because they lack it Smile
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
(July 18, 2011 at 1:49 am)MilesTailsPrower Wrote: I've never heard of a Atheist getting converted to Christianity in my whole life, if so he must have not been an atheists.

Well done! You've managed to include two logical fallacies in one sentence. IE argument from incredulity (I've never heard of it,therefore it probably hasn't happened) and "no true Scotsman fallacy (not real atheists)Cool Shades
(July 18, 2011 at 2:18 am)padraic Wrote:
(July 18, 2011 at 1:49 am)MilesTailsPrower Wrote: I've never heard of a Atheist getting converted to Christianity in my whole life, if so he must have not been an atheists.

Well done! You've managed to include two logical fallacies in one sentence. IE argument from incredulity (I've never heard of it,therefore it probably hasn't happened) and "no true Scotsman fallacy (not real atheists)Cool Shades

Not sure if thats a good thing or not. But O.K!
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
It's bad you twat. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I dream of day when dyresand 17 2403 October 26, 2014 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Do you think evolution is the american dream Moira 20 5277 September 25, 2013 at 4:54 am
Last Post: ManMachine