Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Hawking on M-Theory
Stephen Hawking on M-Theory
I read an article quoting Stephen Hawking saying that he believed M-Theory to be is the only candidate for ‘‘a complete theory’’ of the universe.

http://education.theage.com.au/cmspage.p...ersion=100
undefined
RE: Stephen Hawking on M-Theory
Sure, it's the only candidate because it's essentially the only anywhere near completed model we have. There is always Garret Lisi's E8 theory but it's got a lot of problems, for instance he needs to achieve some intricate symmetries between leptons and bosons which as many physicists say is not like adding apples and oranges but apples and thunderbolts.

I'm a huge fan of M-Theory, it's just more surprising and fascinating the more you learn about it, and there might just be some evidence for it in cosmology, depending on whether or not the phenomenon of Dark Flow is adequately confirmed - It was predicted by string theorists prior to turning up in the WMAP data, so that kind of predictive power impresses me immensely.

Another favourite of mine is the Holographic Principle, that really fucks with my head, I can't begin to comprehend it beyond it's description of black holes and even that is dense, but that applied to the entire universe, the thought that my 3D experience is a projection from a 2D vibrating surface encompassing the universe is truly mind boggling.
(July 25, 2011 at 7:29 am)theVOID Wrote: Sure, it's the only candidate because it's essentially the only anywhere near completed model we have. There is always Garret Lisi's E8 theory but it's got a lot of problems, for instance he needs to achieve some intricate symmetries between leptons and bosons which as many physicists say is not like adding apples and oranges but apples and thunderbolts.

I'm a huge fan of M-Theory, it's just more surprising and fascinating the more you learn about it, and there might just be some evidence for it in cosmology, depending on whether or not the phenomenon of Dark Flow is adequately confirmed - It was predicted by string theorists prior to turning up in the WMAP data, so that kind of predictive power impresses me immensely.

Another favourite of mine is the Holographic Principle, that really fucks with my head, I can't begin to comprehend it beyond it's description of black holes and even that is dense, but that applied to the entire universe, the thought that my 3D experience is a projection from a 2D vibrating surface encompassing the universe is truly mind boggling.

I know only a little about M-Theory and virtually nothing about the Holographic Principle. I need to read more about it in the very near future.
undefined
It is all very interesting stuff isn't it. I just finished reading The Grand Design, (as well as re-reading A Brief History of Time and The Universe in a Nutshell)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 25, 2011 at 7:35 am)Ziggystardust Wrote:
(July 25, 2011 at 7:29 am)theVOID Wrote: Sure, it's the only candidate because it's essentially the only anywhere near completed model we have. There is always Garret Lisi's E8 theory but it's got a lot of problems, for instance he needs to achieve some intricate symmetries between leptons and bosons which as many physicists say is not like adding apples and oranges but apples and thunderbolts.

I know only a little about M-Theory and virtually nothing about the Holographic Principle. I need to read more about it in the very near future.

Read some work by Leonard Susskind, his books are awesome.

The book "The Black Hole War" about his battle with Hawking on whether or not black holes destroy quantum information is my excellent and describes a lot of relevent concepts in physics, the other one "The Cosmic Landscape" is less specific and deals with 'the illusion of intelligent design'.

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmic-Landscape-S...t_ep_dpt_2
(July 25, 2011 at 7:35 am)Ziggystardust Wrote:

actually that not true, it not the complete model or theory but an all incompassing one. Basically M theory includes all the major GUT such as the 5 various string, super Gravity and S8XS8. The main problem is that it is so broad that it cannot not make any independent predictions that we can test to verify if it truely correct...

Lately Cern and other Major Partical accelerators has collected data that seem to fall away from all the major GUT that M theory embrace, instead it appears the data matches the prediction of a subset of SuperSymmetry theory called MSSM (Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model ).
this would be a major Blow to M theory.

the Holographic Principle, depends on symmetry that is only observe in anti Desitter universe, which many observations indicate that our universe is not, but it make useful mathematical models that help M theorist tackle major issues dealing with Structure of Space time. Another blow to the Holographic Principle came recently when Observation of several Frequencies of light from a distant Quasar fail to show any indication of a fine structure of space time, at least at a scale of Planck length or greater...

So at the moment MSSM is the leading candiated for a Grand unfication Theory..
Hard to keep up isn't it..hehehe.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 25, 2011 at 9:28 am)Rhythm Wrote: Hard to keep up isn't it..hehehe.

Wiki while it a good place to start, it has many failings..
Yeah I wiki'd the model you mentioned, looks like a pretty detailed page, bm'd it for later perusal...so I can get more up-to-date on my out-of-dateness.
(July 25, 2011 at 9:21 am)theVOID Wrote: Read some work by Leonard Susskind, his books are awesome.

The book "The Black Hole War" about his battle with Hawking on whether or not black holes destroy quantum information is my excellent and describes a lot of relevent concepts in physics, the other one "The Cosmic Landscape" is less specific and deals with 'the illusion of intelligent design'.

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmic-Landscape-S...t_ep_dpt_2

For a counterpoint, read Lee Smolin. In Lee's opinion, string theory is a mathematically indulgence disguising itself as a scientific theory, which has severely handicapped actual productivity of theoretical physics for 30 years by pushing every more untestable musings that makes no specific prediction, thus despite making ever more fantastic claims of infinite promise, had in reality made the last 30 years the only 30 year period since Newton when nothing new has really been added to the fundation of physics.
He also argued that strong theory blighted 2 whole generation of physicsts by training them to favor mathematical cleverness and extravagant visualizing over intellectual vigor of the testable hypothesis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does God have in common with String Theory? LinuxGal 2 756 December 30, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Hawking and Krauss Interaktive 22 8253 June 15, 2019 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Teaching the Big bang theory to Preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 5 1589 June 24, 2017 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I wrote the first book to teach the Big Bang theory to Preschoolers! GeorgiasTelescope 0 649 June 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: GeorgiasTelescope
  When and Where did the Atomic Theory Come From? Rhondazvous 29 9261 May 13, 2017 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  I have a layman's theory about quantum physics "spookiness" Won2blv 15 2692 March 5, 2017 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Won2blv
  SMASH Theory Claims to Solve 5 Major Questions of Physics AFTT47 0 1229 February 20, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Paul Rudd vs Stephen Hawking - Quantum Chess Heat 1 1206 January 28, 2016 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Black Hole/Parallel Universe Theory Heat 9 3274 October 21, 2015 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: Heat
  Superfluid vacuum theory Psychonaut 0 1199 September 23, 2015 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Psychonaut