Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The GMO Thread
The GMO Thread
For any and all GMO discussion. We've had a few arguments before, but I'm making this one a "for AND against" thread.

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shorts...s-its.html

[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: The GMO Thread
Absolutely for them. GMO have the potential to be the next green revolution. We haven't been on the cusp of something like this since we first domesticated plants and animals. It went well for us last time, and we're a hell of a lot smarter now...lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Absolutely with you, but some other members weren't quite as supportive at one point.
I'm for GMO, but recognize the need to be cautious. Crops that work really well in a particular environment have a tendency to overrun any native flora and with that endanger the fauna in that area. But if it helps to provide food in Africa for example, or reduce the need for insecticides, I am 100% for it.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I think for anyone to say that the practice is all good or all bad would be clearly inaccurate.

There is clearly something to be gained here, but there is a downside that can't be ignored.

Quote:The take-home message is that while GM crops have delivered benefits for farmers and the environment, there is still need for caution to prevent spread of resistance, both to "feral" crop escapees and to natural weeds.

I guess until more research information becomes available, I'm going to have to remain happily perched on the fence. Tongue
[Image: Evolution.png]

GMO are currently designed with "killswitches". This is the basis for many a terrible case of corporate oppression in 3rd world countries. What are the downsides to GMO? Don't give me the downsides of improper agricultural procedure. We're well versed in that. 10,000 years worth of commercial agriculture has given us a very healthy understanding of the dangers involved in agriculture as a whole.

Tell me something about GMO that would give us pause. (mountains of research are already available)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm a little confused about why people are worried about things becoming weeds provided they don't A) deplete the area of nutrients (some weeds actually put nutrients back into the ground); or B) are poisonous

Kudzu is a MONSTER down here. It covers entire swaths of trees. Any of you who are friends with me on Facebook could probably find the picture I have in my "random photos" album that shows a backdrop near my ex's parents' cabin overrun with kudzu.

But... you can actually eat the leaves (and they're now feeding it to some livestock) and make jelly from the fruit, and my ex's uncle used to make wreathes and such out of it the same way you would grape vines.

A 'weed' is just a plant whose usefulness hasn't been discovered yet.

For that matter, mint is a fucking weed, but I'm having a homemade mojito when I get the hell home tonight.
Trying to find a wonderful presentation on GMO that gives a history of major grain crops. He has examples of modern veggies ancestors, plays a guessing game that's awesome. GMO are genetically closer to non-GMO crops than those non-GMO crops are to the earliest wild domesticates. If I find it I'll post it.

Early books from Rodale Press cannot shut their mouths about how great kudzu is. They're pretty silent on that one now.
Are you two addressing me?

**fixes thesummerqueen a mojito and hands rhythm a white flag**

Clearly you two have this issue attached to your hearts and I'm just a casual on-looker. I'm all for feeding the world. What I'm not all for is making a decision about something that I clearly do not know enough about. Thus my position on the fence.

Please hold your fire when pointing your guns at the undecided and uninformed.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Oh, sweet pea, we weren't attacking you. Just the world at large. Sit a spell, I'll make you the mojito, with real simple syrup and everything, and we'll talk. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jane Goodall is now anti-GMO [rolling eyes] thesummerqueen 21 9286 June 2, 2013 at 2:07 am
Last Post: SiRade
  "GMO Causes Cancer" Study thesummerqueen 4 1798 October 12, 2012 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  GMO Labeling and "The China Scenario" thesummerqueen 2 2040 May 23, 2012 at 2:47 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  GMO Toxins and Pregnant Women thesummerqueen 28 9034 December 20, 2011 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  GMO Bluegrass The Grand Nudger 4 2642 July 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: fr0d0