Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'No religion' belongs to the unspoken for
'No religion' belongs to the unspoken for
[Image: 2831070-3x2-340x227.jpg]
Photo: I'm concerned that 'no religion' - indeed, atheism itself - means something very different to the AFA than it does to me.

By ABC's Michael Collett

Updated August 10, 2011

When I attempt the fraught task of putting self to paper this census, I'll be muttering an aimless prayer before reluctantly crossing 'no religion'.

But please, don't read too much into it. It tells you what I'm not and nothing more.

Nevertheless, I fear my X may be hijacked for irreligious - that is, anti-religious - purposes.

This I speculate because the 'no religion' response has found its champion in the Atheist Foundation of Australia.

We heretics are urged to own our disbelief; to resist the hilarity of professing Jedi or Pastafarianism - or my favourite jest religion, metal music - and forsake the ritual of deferring to the faith of our parents.

This in itself is, of course, admirable. The decline of religion - or otherwise - should be properly documented. What's the point of a census if it's not answered honestly?

And so I'll do my part.
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
RE: 'No religion' belongs to the unspoken for
I support the AFA's campaign 1,000,000 percent, because many Australians don’t follow any particular religion. However for some reason many put themselves down as members of a particular Christian denomination.

This gives the churches ammunition when trying to defend things like scripture teaching and chaplains in schools. Because they can claim from the census figures some 60-70% of Australians are Christians (which is an overestimate in my opinion). Indeed the easy going attitude (I used to be like this regrettably) of the Australian public are a reason why a tiny minority of practicing Christians (outnumbered by Atheists and Agnostics) are allowed to exercise disproportionate political power.
undefined
I think atheists in Canada and the U.S. would agree with your observations about what's happening in the U.K census.
And as a result we see politicians talking about how this is a Christian nation, and the U.S. Constitution established this country as such (McCain during the 2008 Presidential campaign).
And it's all because of the numbers, and often it appears because of the deference to Christianity. "In God We Trust" on our currency, and even in the halls of power and our court houses where, often enough one is asked to swear to tell the truth in their testimony, swearing on a Bible and god. Though in some jurisdictions there's the option to affirm and yet in other's there's the affirmation followed by the oath; so help me god.

I don't recall what the last census had as options for marking, with regard to religious affiliation. However, if atheist isn't there I'll certainly write in.

There's a campaign for the 2011 census, calling for atheists to stand and be counted. Hopefully we will, given the census is suppose to be anonymous, so that those who may still be in the closet in some respect, should or will know they can come out and lend their voice to the count so that perhaps in the next tally, we'll have a stronger registered number. And the Christians shall be surprised.
We are everywhere. Sadly, that seems to only be news to Theists.

Mark "No religion" Campaign Begins - The 2011 Census

Quote:Nevertheless, I fear my X may be hijacked for irreligious - that is, anti-religious - purposes.

This I speculate because the 'no religion' response has found its champion in the Atheist Foundation of Australia.

I refer you to The atheist foundation Of Australia's forum,of which I am a long time member. specifically, the threads entitled "Mark no religion campaign begins" and
"Census reflections and beyond." (begun by Foundation president David Nicholls))

http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/foru...php?t=8722

http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/foru...hp?t=11215

Of course some are anti theists and anti religion. Most ,including me,are neither. Australian Atheist foundation is not now and has never been anti theist or anti religion. It is however PRO separation of Church and state ,which is a big problem here in Australia. The issue is not as clear constitutionally as it seem to be in the US and our High Court tends to be unsympathetic.

The campaign to urge people with no religion to actually say so on the census form is so the census will accurately reflect religious affiliation in this country. One result may be to abolish the federally funded, almost exclusively Christian chaplain's programme in all public schools.

The chaplains tend to be members of various churches, with little or no training in counseling, who openly proselytise the children.The government has also refused to include a voluntary option of ethics classes instead of religious instruction.

I support the campaign 100%
Damn! I had no idea Australia was so screwed up! Almost makes me wanna hug Pat Robertson.
(August 10, 2011 at 9:47 pm)Judas BentHer Wrote: I think atheists in Canada and the U.S. would agree with your observations about what's happening in the U.K census.

What is happening in the UK census? We had it ages ago along with the "If you're not religious for gods sake say so" campaign. Since then nothing is happening that I'm aware of, I believe statistics are due to be released in late 2012.

I suspect although many more people could be considered atheists than usually say so on censuses I seriously doubt the campaign we had (in the UK) will make a significant difference.

(August 11, 2011 at 12:36 pm)I Shot Kennedy Wrote: Damn! I had no idea Australia was so screwed up! Almost makes me wanna hug Pat Robertson.

Not many people do,especially most Aussies. We're a lot like Americans that way. Angel Cloud
(August 11, 2011 at 12:36 pm)I Shot Kennedy Wrote: Damn! I had no idea Australia was so screwed up! Almost makes me wanna hug Pat Robertson.

Hug him till he stops breathing, maybe.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4029 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16356 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism