Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Bug: Disappearing Posts
Forum Bug: Disappearing Posts
There is a forum bug that has emerged, and we're still not quite sure what causes it. Some posts show up completely blank (i.e. no text / images are shown).

We believe this is caused by incorrect nesting of quotes. For instance, when instead of closing a quote tag, one simply opens a new one instead:

Code:
[quote]Some quote...[quote] <- Should be a closed quote tag.

[quote]Some other quote...[/quote] <- Like this one.

I have not come across a blank post which doesn't contain incorrect nesting of quotes. I therefore think this is causing the problem.

However, this is easily fixable. Instead of complaining about it happening every time it does, instead just simply click "Edit" (you have 2 hours to do so!) and check the post for incorrectly nested quote tags. If you find some, correct them. If you don't, please contact me.

If you are having trouble correcting them, please link to the post here and I'll have a go at doing it.

I'm going to spend some of the weekend trying to fix the bug by installing a carbon-copy of the forums somewhere else, from scratch. I'll then add the current plugins we have until the bug appears. Eventually I'll switch the database over and we'll have a brand spanking new forum with all the current posts in it.

I will give people 24 hours advance notice before I do this.
RE: Forum Bug: Disappearing Posts
Quote:(you have 2 hours to do so!)

^still think that's nonsense.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spam Detection (READ THIS IF YOUR POSTS KEEP DISAPPEARING) Tiberius 14 6195 July 28, 2016 at 2:23 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Disappearing Posts -- Information Shell B 0 1434 October 31, 2011 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Looking for Blog Posts on Atheism Shell B 52 17817 August 13, 2011 at 10:30 am
Last Post: DaveD
  Editing / Deleting Posts Tiberius 29 11495 August 6, 2011 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Recommended Posts Update Tiberius 27 9953 September 8, 2009 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Samson
  Recommended Posts Trial Tiberius 9 4487 August 27, 2009 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Retorth