Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 12:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Van Tillian/Clarkian Presuppositional Apologetics.
Van Tillian/Clarkian Presuppositional Apologetics.
A conversation from another thread drove me to post this. In the wake of the evidentialist apologetic failures of late, this stuff is making a comeback. In my opinion, this type of approach to christianity is the one that's going to survive. It's the ultimate fingers in the ears defense. The WMD of disagreements. Seems these guys are banking on the success of this tactic in the playgrounds of their youth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presupposit...pologetics
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: Van Tillian/Clarkian Presuppositional Apologetics.
(August 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm)Rhythm Wrote: A conversation from another thread drove me to post this. In the wake of the evidentialist apologetic failures of late, this stuff is making a comeback. In my opinion, this type of approach to christianity is the one that's going to survive. It's the ultimate fingers in the ears defense. The WMD of disagreements. Seems these guys are banking on the success of this tactic in the playgrounds of their youth.

The tulip turnip's thread? I can't believe there are people out there whose life is so boring that they would not only take an interest in that garbage, but waste the time to invent the phrase "presuppositional apologetics" to describe it.
(August 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm)Rhythm Wrote: A conversation from another thread drove me to post this. In the wake of the evidentialist apologetic failures of late, this stuff is making a comeback. In my opinion, this type of approach to christianity is the one that's going to survive. It's the ultimate fingers in the ears defense. The WMD of disagreements. Seems these guys are banking on the success of this tactic in the playgrounds of their youth.

And they seriously believe that Atheists are going to buy into this...

At any rate, here's an article by Jonathan Sarfati which "explains" this ideology, and RationalWiki's rebuttal calling him out on his bullshit.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Hehehe, well Chuck, I can't speak for everyone, but the long and checkered history of belief is fascinating to me. I'll suffer an army of half baked thoughts to get to that little core of humanity behind it all. Another article on the subject.

http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.co...ional.html

Statlers our only posterboy for this btw (that I'm aware of, though Frodo has made some remarks that would qualify, have to ask him for clarity), I'm trying to encourage him to post here.

What a wonderful article Rye, but now I don't have anything left to talk about, son of a bitch.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Quote:but waste the time to invent the phrase "presuppositional apologetics" to describe it.

They didn't; the phrase has been around for ages. In terms Christian apologetics, it's redundant.
People who believe that a dead jew came back to life can apparently be made to believe damn near anything, boys.
(August 19, 2011 at 12:14 am)Minimalist Wrote: People who believe that a dead jew came back to life can apparently be made to believe damn near anything, boys.

Yup.

Many of them are the same people who believed "Yes we can!" and who have now gotten their panties all out of focus because they have realised "No we haven't and ain't gonna" Tiger
(August 19, 2011 at 12:14 am)Minimalist Wrote: People who believe that a dead jew came back to life can apparently be made to believe damn near anything, boys.

Not really anything Min, 'cause if it is something that doesn't agree with they wholly babble, then they will turn into hard skeptics.
I'm not sure that disbelief due to incompatibility with magic qualifies as skepticism.
Thinking like this doesn't get you laughed out of debates?
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credible/Honest Apologetics? TheJefe817 212 20687 August 8, 2022 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Let's see how many apologetics take the bait Joods 127 18294 July 16, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Ignorant apologetics aside, your god does not exist. Foxaèr 10 2508 April 16, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Priestly apologetics in a sermon this a.m. drfuzzy 13 3164 April 1, 2016 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Thoughts on Atheism and Apologetics Randy Carson 105 18396 July 4, 2015 at 5:39 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Non-fundamentalist apologetics is about obfuscation RobbyPants 6 2158 May 9, 2015 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Church Van Crashes, 8 Dead AFTT47 38 7102 April 1, 2015 at 9:42 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  GOOD Apologetics? ThePinsir 31 6508 January 28, 2014 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Apologetics Psychonaut 9 2955 October 1, 2013 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Apologetics blog domain name John V 54 19006 August 13, 2013 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox