Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mt. Everest has around 200 dead bodies (pics)
Mt. Everest has around 200 dead bodies (pics)
Thought this was interesting.

Quote:Mt. Everest has around 200 dead bodies on the mountain. It is nearly impossible for recovery of a body off the mountain. Most of the bodies are in the same exact position they were when they died. Perfectly preserved in time because of the cold. Along the route up to the summit climbers will pass all these bodies. There are bodies over 50 years old that look like they were placed there yesterday.

The "death zone" is 26,000 feet. Air is so thin that there is no margin for error. Immediate frostbite will happen. Lack of oxygen leaves climber bewildered and weak. Cost for one to go on a trip is $25,000.

Several bodies are given names. This one is "green boots". Many of the bodies are now landmarks along the way up. "green Boots" has been there since 1996.

[Image: 2003127792.jpg]

More here including pics
RE: Mt. Everest has around 200 dead bodies (pics)
200? That many? I'm impressed. 200 Darwin awards.Tiger
I've always wondered how hard it would be to blast that entire rock to rubble, gather some debris from the top, put it in a mini-mall, and charge 10 bucks to have a picture taken standing next to a flag.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The comments are a breathtaking display of eloquence in the English language
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
The last picture with the skull seriously surprised me. If i was climbing that mountain and saw that itd be a quick "oh fuck this" before going back down.
If I die and god is real, im so screwed.
After looking at the full spread. I have a powerful urge to get those bodies back. There has to be some sort of foundation or group or something that is working on this yeah?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 18, 2011 at 9:15 pm)padraic Wrote: 200? That many? I'm impressed. 200 Darwin awards.Tiger

I thought it would be more, actually.
(August 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm)searchingforanswers Wrote: The last picture with the skull seriously surprised me. If i was climbing that mountain and saw that itd be a quick "oh fuck this" before going back down.

If you've climbed any mountains before... you should have known that before you started Tongue

It's a challenge. I will top this mountain. Dangerous... reckless... stupid: Fun.
(August 19, 2011 at 12:32 am)Rhythm Wrote: After looking at the full spread. I have a powerful urge to get those bodies back. There has to be some sort of foundation or group or something that is working on this yeah?

Why? Perfectly good landmarks. Waste of time, this whole "we must bury this corpse" nonsense.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Nothing to do with burial. I don't know, maybe I wouldn't want to be left there for gawkers, hell, the green boots guy is what, 2 feet from a rope? A few years back they made a documentary out of attempts to climb everest, so they can haul all that video equipment up and down but they can't bring back bodies? Bullshit. 25k a head but no money to buy a hacksaw and a plastic bag, bullshit. Hell, in '02 a group of 50 people made it to the summit. Was 3 lbs a person going to endanger their lives. No. This is a strange sort of apathy in tourism. Apparently 150 people make the summit every year, and I can't help but think that the bodies add to value of the experience, or they wouldn't be there. Obviously this is my own hangup, but it's hard to imagine that in the thousands of people who've made the summit, there aren't some folks who would like to bring these people back down. I know it's not simple, but neither is climbing everest right? We don't balk away from things because they're really really hard. Just seems terrible to me, is all.
What does a body matter? It is am empty platform. A monument to what came before. I leave monuments alone unless they are in my way.

There's more danger climbing individual than in a group. When you're by yourself... there is no assistance. When one is in a group: weakness in one can be made up in the strengths of the others, and there's almost always someone watching.

The corpses add decoration and determination to the climb... makes it less likely one will pass out or lose the willpower to keep going. And whatever you think about getting up the mountain: I firmly believe getting down is many times more dangerous. I never have problems scaling walls, buildings, fences, mountains, cliffs... but when asked to get down: I will refuse. Too dangerous. Far too dangerous. Be safer: never (ever) climb back down a mountain. FFS: don't.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
LOL, remind me never to climb with you on my line. You also know what the hacksaw is for now, so watch your step on the way down. Wouldn't want to find yourself in need of my idea of body recovery. I'm gonna let your "what does a body matter" comment slide.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheist demotivational pics Overmars 1084 762754 May 26, 2017 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Mystical
  Men's standards of beauty around the world Regina 12 2662 March 21, 2015 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  ATC - Around the World (la la la la la) Rhizomorph13 0 838 October 16, 2012 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Funny pics of all kind Ace Otana 74 52464 September 16, 2010 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Eilonnwy
  Let the bodies hit the floor... fr0d0 3 1526 October 28, 2009 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Craveman