Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 2:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Congenital Model
The Congenital Model
*(*Warning* Long Read)*

Since birth, the human brain is bombarded with information. Observation and discovery is one of our most basic yet most fascinating functions as it helps us learn about the world around us and complete a plethora of higher-brain functions to assist in survival. But as fascinating and essential this function is for growth, it may just be our most common weakness when confronted with the question of origin. And that's what brings us to the congenital model.

The congenital model is a term I'm coining to rationalize what happens when the brain is introduced to a seemingly complex system which existence predates the being's birth. To the curious mind, the complex system would seem infinitely complex and comprised of systems which it does not yet understand. And the more complex the system, the less likely our minds are to attribute mere coincidence to its creation. This philosophic institution is likely rooted to primitive psychological constructs of the brain and how it explains natural and unnatural events.

Geometric Form and Structure.
Chaos and entropy abound, our natural world is seemingly constructed by a drunken composer. Though many monuments of nature astound and surpass the creativity of the greatest architect, what the monuments lack is mathematical rhythm. You'd be just as likely to place an architect as the designer of the Grand Canyon as you would to explain the Empire State Building as the design of nature. Richard Dawkins explains such a psychological construct in his book "The God Delusion" as being the result of our tendency to give form to the formless but never vice-versa. Coined by evolutionary psychologist, J. Thomas Anderson, the system of false positives vs. false negatives developed as a means of survival. For example, walking though a wooded area, it would be in your better interest to mistake a twig for a snake than for you to mistake a snake for a twig. The latter may prove fatal. Such as you're unlikely to mistake a hornet's nest for a rock or an ant hill for a natural incline. The fine line drawn mentally between what is the result of nature and what may be caused by life or a designer is likely attributed to evolutionary developments which had saved the lives of our ancestors.

Human Vestigiality explains the existence of organs in the human body which have lost their primary functionality through evolution and may serve secondary or little to no functionality. Such organs include the appendix, the wisdom teeth, ear muscles, the plica semilunaris and the occipitalus minor for example. Vestigialic behavior is also seen in humans such as an infant's grasp of an object placed in its palm or feet which has showed to be strong enough to support its own weight. Such vestigialic behavior may have little use to us now, but is still there. And just as certain structures have taken a secondary functionality, these behaviors may have done the same. A vestigialic behavior such as false negatives may not be necessary to save your life today, as you're not very likely to encounter many predators other than other humans, I believe it is still just as functional today as it was in our ancestors and it may contribute to our perception of natural versus designed. This construct though useful may also be inherently flawed.

Our society is saturated with technological advancements which took decades and sometimes centuries to develop and perfect. Thomas Edison and his associates burned through thousands of materials in an attempt to discover a filament capable of producing persistent light. Wilhelm Röntgen originally tracking the path of electrodes passed through different vacuum materials which he later discovered the existence and productivity of x-rays. The microwave oven discovered by melted chocolate, penicillin via laziness, champagne, rubber, plastic - all of these inventions or materials discovered by mere coincidence with no clear intent associated with their existence. Had these experiments and discoveries not been properly documented, present-day observers would immediately contribute these inventions to have a designer with a clear intent to define their current propose. The absence of a designer to structures with mathematical rhythm is a trait we all carry and very well may contribute to the emergence of supernatural explanations of life and intelligence.

Though this theory does not explain evolution, complex variation or adaptation, it does explore the psychological attributes which may contribute to our primitive beliefs. If it has failed to do so, further discussion may assist in exploring the aspects that do not work.
RE: The Congenital Model
Welcome.

I look forward to an introductory post and perhaps the odd one or two which do not bore me rigid.Tiger
(August 20, 2011 at 7:23 pm)padraic Wrote: Welcome.

I look forward to an introductory post and perhaps the odd one or two which do not bore me rigid.Tiger

ok sure. Let's see.... hi. That good enough of an introduction? My expectation would be discussion contributing to the topic. Not to start fires as a new user, but being new on one forum community does not entail unfamiliarity with the general model of posting a thread. I apologize if I bored you "rigid" but I do believe there are more colorful posts somewhere around here.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDuTtlnEWj1AgyE2sulxx...alQRgJAQdh]

Well....you did warn us.

Welcome.
(August 20, 2011 at 7:53 pm)Minimalist Wrote: [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDuTtlnEWj1AgyE2sulxx...alQRgJAQdh]

Well....you did warn us.

Welcome.

Indeed. Though I guess I could shorten it. Just doubt it'll convey my thoughts as clearly if I did so. Well worse comes to worse it'll become a relic on the bottom of the page by days end. No harm done. Cool Shades
Even though your points are perfectly valid, this is not really news Smile The fact that the humain brain is wired to find patterns has been known for a while.

But welcome Smile Enjoy your time here and for your own sake don't get Sae mad Big Grin

Welcome - wordy guy.

I will call you Ant. That is all.

[Image: Evolution.png]

welcome sir.
Cunt
Hi from Oz Ant. Welcome to the forum.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Very Model of a Modern Fundamentalist TheRocketSurgeon 12 3826 September 11, 2015 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: kramazeek
  God or Satan. Who is the better role model? Rokcet Scientist 20 11106 August 14, 2011 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Judas BentHer