Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outing onesself as atheis; family issues
Outing onesself as atheis; family issues
I've recently gotten tired of keeping my mouth shut, while people are making religious comments (very noticeable on FB, though I'm a member of many atheist groups there). So I've begun 'outing' myself recently. My comments on the topic are largely 'invisible,' it seems. I suppose a lot of people don't know what to say. I have had some support. If anyone gives me trouble, I'll just block them.

I'm not actively arguing with people expressing their beliefs, in most cases. Although, for instance, if I see a msg about the Pledge of Allegiance and its supposedly Christian history, I'll post a link on a separate message to some factual data that debunks it.

Fortunately, my 'real life' friends are cool. I weeded-out the extremists several years ago, and plan to keep it that way.

My brother and sister aren't an issue; he's an atheist, and she's mild Christian but highly tolerant.

I've decided, for now at least, *not* to tell my elderly, religious but well-meaning aunt. I don't want the poor thing worrying about my 'eternal soul,' and of course she's not going to change from her belief system.

Less clear is some cousins that I see a few times a year. They're nearing 70 years old themselves, and seem in heavy denial of reality (i.e. they're devout Christians). The woman would probably handle it, but her husband, I think, would be likely to barrage me with 'inspirational materials' in hopes of converting me. It wouldn't change my mind, but would be highly annoying. Frankly, I'm inclined to deal with them as with my aunt, though it's rather distasteful.

Feedback? Thanks in advance!

RE: Outing onesself as atheis; family issues
Make it a point to see them even less.

I've got cousins I like and never see them.
It's easy, when you feel uncomfortable, or when pressed, just tell them that you don't believe. Nothing to justify, nothing to prove, you just don't believe. It doesn't have to be a big deal. Any objection can be handled by stating that you find the argument less than compelling. If they insist on sending you inspirational material make inspired paper mache masks out of it. Makes good bird cage lining...and my personal favorite...I work it into compost..lol.

(I do actually have a drawer full of the more amusing ones, like the eye opening "Jesus Prayer Rug" optical illusion. Gift shop toy really, but it seems powerful to someone somewhere)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I say there is no need to go out of your way to let your beliefs be known, but if questioned, feel free to tell them. Family or not, they need to respect your right to have your own beliefs, so if they get pushy, stand your ground and tell them to back off. If they don't respect your right to believe what you want, then they don't respect you as a human being, and I see no need to keep people that don't respect you in your life.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
One thing I feel dead lucky about is never having had to do that. I was never christened or baptised or anything like that. My Mrs (who was) says it doesn't matter and so I'm tempted to show her this thread. However that would entail opening up a whole can of worms about which she is presently entirely ignorant - bless her!
I don't know that it would be a huge problem unless you only saw them on religiously inspired holidays. Are they visiting you, specifically? Or is it more along the lines of "the family meets here?"

If the latter, you can always get in the car and leave if someone gives you trouble. Generally family is willing to keep their mouth semi-shut for the sake of peace. Unless they're crazy like my aunt, who still hasn't gotten over me getting inked.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(August 24, 2011 at 8:44 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: I don't know that it would be a huge problem unless you only saw them on religiously inspired holidays. Are they visiting you, specifically? Or is it more along the lines of "the family meets here?"

If the latter, you can always get in the car and leave if someone gives you trouble. Generally family is willing to keep their mouth semi-shut for the sake of peace. Unless they're crazy like my aunt, who still hasn't gotten over me getting inked.

you got ink too summer?

whadayaknow ... yet another cool attribute you share with myself. Big Grin
[Image: Evolution.png]

(August 24, 2011 at 8:53 am)Cinjin Wrote: you got ink too summer?

Post #10. Contemplating my third. http://atheistforums.org/thread-5418.htm...ght=tattoo
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(August 24, 2011 at 8:56 am)thesummerqueen Wrote:
(August 24, 2011 at 8:53 am)Cinjin Wrote: you got ink too summer?

Post #10. Contemplating my third. http://atheistforums.org/thread-5418.htm...ght=tattoo

I guess I'm going to have to take some pics and get them on that tat thread. I have a half-sleeve (shoulder to elbow - nearly all the way around) a forearm and one on the opposite shoulder. Probably get more when I find the right design.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Speaking of my "christian magic file" I've alluded to before (can't remember who asked about it)

I have one of these in the drawer.

[Image: images4q.jpg]

Nothing like "inspirational material" that promises cold hard cash ($46,000 apparently, which I'm assuming is a check from god redeemable at any church)
http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultim...002087;p=1
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Family is always asking me to come to religious celebrations Tomatoshadow2 25 1811 April 11, 2023 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Standing up to family for what you believe in Tomatoshadow2 30 2319 May 4, 2022 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Family not accepting you're an Atheist UniverseCaptain 45 5334 October 28, 2021 at 12:51 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4437 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Thanksgiving and Family BrokenQuill92 18 3136 December 7, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: mordant
  Are US Atheists just people with daddy issues? Ronia 22 8822 August 20, 2017 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  How religious or nonreligious is your family? Casca 44 4246 December 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: camlov2019
  I Walked Away From Christianity, but How do I Walk Away From My Family? Rhondazvous 14 2806 October 31, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 6996 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Telling my family? CloverGrace 10 2035 August 28, 2016 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: KevinM1