Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unemployment. Honest debate.
Unemployment. Honest debate.
Reasons for unemployment.

Outsourcing.

Mechanization of remedial tasks.

Money.

Just flat out not enough jobs?

When you have a machine that takes 100 jobs, what 100 jobs get created? See my point? With population still rising, is this not a significant issue to be addressed?

We are such a service industry and without people to pay or want those services won't that also cause decline in employment as well?

I just want clean honest debate on the causes and fixes for unemployment, as it seems to be the major issue in the US today. At least the major issue in the majority of the public's eyes.

"...the illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world."

- Carl Sagan
RE: Unemployment. Honest debate.
Add in "Politics."
Until we can stretch on the idea of "the common good" there won't be any easy fixes. We have plenty of infrastructure to replace and/or repair at the moment. I know that there is a plan in place, but it seems to be lacking in execution. We also have plenty of room for research associates and competent teachers/students.

Physical infrastructure and education, surely two areas where any amount of borrowing is likely to pay dividends. If we're going to borrow, why not borrow for these? If we're not going to borrow, why not cut fundings to other programs with the express intention and guarantee of those funds going into these two areas? Rather than searching for top down fixes to problems we could crowd-source (bottom-up) from our newly invigorated pool of academia, while leveraging the improvements to infrastructure to realize their innovations.. Wouldn't this foster the generation of wealth no matter how we went about it?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Well over here in my town, shops and the like get an average of around 180 CV's(resumes) per week, that tells me there ain't enough work around. Industries have to make cuts because of the economy, people have less money on them as bills increase, and so less money on other things. Companies notice that it's items are going unsold and notice there are serious reductions on sale. Profits fall. Redundancies will reduce losses by reducing the company's bill to maintain it's services. Redundancies increase unemployment, increased unemployment means more people on the doll, more on the doll means the government has to pay out more. The government continues to bring in foreigners, foreigners go on doll, doll bill increases. The level of unemployed goes up further.
Something like that I fink. Tongue
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Actually, companies are rolling in cash but would rather spend it to influence elections and bribe lawmakers than hire people.

Corporate profits have never been higher and tax rates on the rich/business cocksuckers have never been lower.

Still, they eliminate jobs and then have their republicolibertarianazi hacks "blame" Obama.
Very classy new avatar btw Min, big fan.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I've never liked or trusted the rich.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(August 30, 2011 at 2:13 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Very classy new avatar btw Min, big fan.

All hail, Min!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Min_%28god%29.

(More than you'll ever need to know about the only god worth worshiping. )
I'm just blown away how people can't see the truth. But then again... I'm on an atheist forum, most people here seek truth, hence the reason for being here.

Our voting system needs to be changed. Electoral college eliminated. But really are politics the biggest issue? I don't think so. I think the hindrance of technology and adhering to old
ways of doing things are what is slowing us down.
Why 5 day work weeks?
Why 8 hours a day?

Example. All hypothetically but I think truth is in it.

It takes one man 1 hour to build 1 toy car.
It takes one machine 1 hour to build 10 toy cars.

If you were meeting production goals at 1 toy car an hour, once you implement machines, you have to scale back your whole operation.
It now only takes 1 machine to do the jobs of 10 men. So 10 men lose their jobs. Yet the production remains the same.

Take this theory and apply to all sorts of jobs and tasks, and you end up with a lot of people being replaced. YET all production remains the same. So does that not just generally mean... we the people just basically have to work less now... with the advancement of technology we as humans have to work less to provide us with the same quality of life.

Everyone that works 8 hours a day now only works 4, so one job turns into 2... Money issues aside because with this logic, yes all salaries would be 1/2. But I don't think money in general is out biggest issue because money is tangible.
Does this not make sense in a way? I don't want bashing just honest criticism or agreement.

"...the illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world."

- Carl Sagan
So would the government top up the wages to a living standard?
I certainly could not survive on 1/2 of my wages without help.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An honest question for the Republicans Foxaèr 26 1280 November 20, 2020 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Political debate via meme Foxaèr 287 22288 November 4, 2020 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Anyone watch tonight's debate? Brian37 19 841 October 23, 2020 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Figbash
  Why I Might Watch The Next 'Debate' BrianSoddingBoru4 28 1664 October 22, 2020 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Trump vs Biden debate WinterHold 95 6407 October 3, 2020 at 12:39 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  New ‘Debate’ Format Suggestions BrianSoddingBoru4 14 1065 October 1, 2020 at 8:41 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Anyone watch last night's debate? Brian37 9 856 September 30, 2020 at 9:28 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  This is why outside this forum i don't debate Politics Amarok 27 4267 January 31, 2018 at 2:09 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Honest Abe. Stonewall Jackson. Jack the Zipper. Fireball 22 2057 December 5, 2017 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Lets end the great weed debate dyresand 21 3704 April 28, 2017 at 12:07 pm
Last Post: mlmooney89