Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dear Atheist Forums
Dear Atheist Forums
I did not discuss this with the staff before I wrote this, and I'm not writing it as a mod. This is an appeal to my fellow members.

Dear Atheist Forums -

When Shell invited me to join, I was nervous, apprehensive and excited. I had never been on a single forum before. I had barely interacted with strangers on the internet. I had only ever met two openly atheist people before and didn't know what to expect.

What I found was a community of individuals who make me laugh, who commiserate with each other, who support and encourage each other, who challenge and inform, who are willing to drink with each other on hangouts or chat when the chips are down, get outraged when bullshit happens and celebrate when humanitarian victories happen.

This goes for theists and atheists alike.

I won't pretend I didn't go through my own period of anti-theism and still get profoundly angry over things I see religion do. I do not believe in God and resent being told that I am less moral than the person who accepts Jesus or Allah or whatever. I won't go into a litany of all the things organized religion does; we've all heard it before. I am still against it, despite what I say below.

I also won't pretend that I don't consider myself a friend of some of the theists on here, and I WILL stand up and say I care about and adore them (and others in my life). I am aware also of the good things people have done in the name of religion, and what religion has done for some people. I don't agree that they necessarily needed religion to do it - I believe the seed of that goodness would have flowered with other types of cultivation - but that is neither here nor there.

For the most part - nay, for even the vast majority - the people on this site are good people. I don't care whether you necessarily believe what they do. At their hearts, they are humans struggling just like you do, individually.

There has been a growing trend of hostility on this site that pains me. I don't know if everyone is individually suffering more than usual and taking it out on forums, or if we're all growing disillusioned in some way, or...what.

I don't understand why it suddenly becomes so personal to see a bunch of people disagreeing with you over the internet. For the most part, the people on this site are adults. We ought to be able to 1) take disagreement in stride - if your beliefs (religion or otherwise) don't hold up under someone else's scrutiny, you have to decide why you hold to them and make peace with it; and 2) describe our disagreements with a reasonable amount of maturity that doesn't resort to calling someone evil, an idiot, a curseword of some sort, or a nazi.

I am probably one of the most easy-going "former" Jews you will meet, and it's starting to sicken me, btw, to see "nazi" tossed around. You are, firstly, acting no better than the people we mock on Fox News and secondly you are denigrating beyond measure an event we have yet to equal. You all know how passionate I am about the bullying of children and hatred of homosexuals and religious and economic bullshit I see from many of our American presidential hopefuls, and I'm telling you - none of it equals the systematic extermination of certain races, sexualities and religions or political factions.

We seem to have forgotten that many people come to this site for information or learning purposes. And despite recent arguments to the contrary, also for a sense of community. Not everyone comes here having already googled everything there is to know about atheism, religion, deism, secularism, or humanism. Not everyone has the time or resources to have found this information already. Not everyone comes from a background in which they have learned how to express themselves eloquently in writing to complete strangers. Theists may have come from a background in which preaching-type language was so normal they don't even recognize it anymore. It would be helpful if everyone kept their cool and made helpful suggestions to newcomers before jumping all over them - such as reminding them of the rules, pointing out what their language comes across as, and making sure new theists have seen our page for them.

The point of forums like these are to spread information and support. They are not merely a springboard for you to mock and belittle others.

I understand that the sentiment among atheists is that theists have a gaping hole in their logic center in regards to god, and that must make them stupid, but I'd like to point out that atheists are quite able to fall into the same trap with whatever their particular gris-gris is. Lack of god-belief does not automatically confer intelligence onto you, and belief does not necessarily make you an idiot. The head of the human genome project is a born-again, for chrissake.

I also understand that theists think we are arrogant and overwhelmingly asshole-ish. As has been stated before, we are sick of being treated worse than homosexuals or immigrants or various other religions. I do hope you understand how hurtful it is when you would rather us lie and even say we might not be religious but are "spiritual" in place of accepting that there might be a real, caring, loving person inside. It is insulting you would rather have a mask than our reality.

People come here who are on the fence. They will NOT be immediately convinced based on what you consider flawless logic or reasoning. Some of them may have heard all the tripe about us being this way simply for hating God. Some will have only found misinformation about a variety of subjects. Using a little compassion and empathy when you speak to others would go a lot - a fuck-load - further in the beginning when addressing them.

Save your vitriol for people who truly prove to be trolls - which you cannot always know within a few posts. Save it for people proven to be demonstrably and stubbornly ignorant, and for the charlatans who don't believe what they're peddling but try to profit off those they convert.

I admit I have been guilty of speech I probably shouldn't have let fly on this forum, and from now on will endeavor to continue refining my language and keeping it as civil as possible. I would ask, not as your Queen, not as a mod, but as a forum member who came here seeking what has become a loose family - please try to do the same.

It has been on my mind that maybe we should change some of the introductory/rule language to include other suggestions to help newcomers from the outset and I will be thinking about this and possibly take it up with the staff, but the real legwork belongs to all of us. Stop immediately calling people trolls, and try to get to know them first. For some of the longer-running members, stop being "butt-hurt" that they are still around. If you feel they are insulting in some manner, please talk to staff members - it's what we're here for. No one goes under our radar, no matter what you think. We are all on the staff because we're active members who try to read the majority of posts.

And, in the name of the invisible pink unicorn who even Ryft respects, when you feel you're getting angry over something someone on this board has said, get up and walk away for a minute. Pausing does not mean defeat, and when you come back you might find you see what they're writing in a new light. There is no reason to let yourself get upset over something a person in another state, country or continent has said. No one should feel they have to leave this board entirely because of a hostile environment.

If you made it this far, I thank you. I normally hate writing things like this because I don't want to be a bitch or overbearing, but the direction this place is going makes me heartsick.

If you have the time to watch it, I'd like to leave a link to the video of Phil Plait's "Don't Be a Dick" speech, which might be food for thought.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badast...the-video/

And here, officially, I end my rant.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Dear Atheist Forums
Just WTF is going on here guys?? What has this Ausie missed out on??

WHy are you BOTH displaying distress?? WTF is going on?? Confusedhock:
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Er...what didn't I explain and how am I displaying "distress?"

(September 2, 2011 at 10:33 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Just WTF is going on here guys?? What has this Ausie missed out on??

Beats me, but she does have a point.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Yeah, I don't really know whats going on... I tend to ignore big posts coz I so lazy... So I must have missed something somewhere at sometime.
Cunt
(September 2, 2011 at 10:35 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Er...what didn't I explain and how am I displaying "distress?"

You're just giving that vibe, but it's good to know you're fine. Tongue
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
The whole tone of your "note" is one of distress over the status quo of the forum. Or am i reading something that is not supposed to be there??

Since when did this forum get all PC?? Vitriol is sometimes the only way to get through an argument. It doesn't happen often agreed, but it will happen..to assume otherwise is living in a childish lalaland. People are people they get agitated and for what ever reason (rightly so). I am confused as to the current spate of PC, "can't cope with this anymore" and "victim consciousness" ...this is an atheist forum it does NOT pretend to be a place where warm fuzzy bunnies come up to you and make everything better.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
You tell em sista!
Cunt
(September 2, 2011 at 10:33 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Just WTF is going on here guys?? What has this Ausie missed out on??

There has been a shit load of angst and vitriol here recently, it's gotten to the point where a lot of the people of contrary opinion who make this place more interesting are being deterred. This is primarily (and works best as) a discussion forum, as of late it's turning into less of a place for debate and discussion and more of a place where we sit around mocking people with contrary opinions, calling names, flaming and the like.

Something has to change, otherwise this place is going to be nothing but a conglomerate of similar minds with no diversity or discussion, just an angry mob who chases off the theists with burning torches and pitchforks.

For now I would appreciate if the members here try and be more empathetic and courteous to people who are new, either to the forum or atheism in general. For the time-being we will see if an appeal to the sensibilities of the members and launching new initiatives such as the blog and trying to restart some formal debates and other activities will change things, if the persisting decline in civility continues we might have to look to other solutions.
Kichi, I never once stated that you have to be all "warm fuzzy bunnies" about anything.

Actually, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

Do not read more into my post than is actually there.

I took a lot of time out of my work morning to write this, and likely won't have time till I get home to respond in any length to a lot of posts, so I'm going to clear this out now: I'm not telling you to NOT have vitriol - I'm asking you to give people the benefit of the doubt and to stop assuming things before you find out the truth.

I'm not in distress over the status quo. I'm sad because Adrian, who I respect and like very much, is disillusioned with the place he helped create. I'm saddened that someone as polite as CoxRox has decided to leave. I'm more than embarrassed by the actions of certain people who I actually do adore and agree with on many levels because they seem to have left off their usual humor and logic and have devolved into the same name calling we should be quite above.

I'm not asking for PC - I'm asking for empathy. If you don't know the difference, I don't know what to say. I'm not saying vitriol isn't necessary, as I clearly stated in the post.

Please reread what I wrote, before everyone jumps all over me, and take it at face-value. Most of you know me by now as a fiesty, dirty-mouthed and passionate woman who would resoundingly denounce all manner of bullshit. If you think I'm addressing you personally, or you are feeling overly personal about what I wrote, I would be more than happy to discuss it off thread with you - in e-mail preferably, as that's easier communication for me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Staff Foxaèr 28 4095 February 5, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My experiences with internet forums Mariosep 151 33820 June 24, 2017 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Atheist Forums Must Change Cinjin 47 8410 January 30, 2016 at 8:06 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Changeable skins on the forums Heat 34 5315 October 26, 2015 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Darkstar
Thumbs Up Kudos for such Great forums!! Orchids 24 6101 September 22, 2015 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Know any other atheist forums? -z- 57 20951 January 1, 2014 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Snidely Whiplash
  Christian forums? BloodyHeretic 6 3172 October 19, 2011 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Phaedra
  Mark all forums "read" StewartP 6 5484 September 5, 2008 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Tiberius