Current time: 21st October 2014, 09:43

Our server costs $125 a month to run. Since November 2013 we have raised $280!
Please help keep our community online by donating what you can.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A question regarding proof
7th September 2011, 23:10
    3 years membership!
A question regarding proof
I had a dream about a pony last night.

Can my pony dream be objectively proven?
Rate user Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Kudos given by (1): fr0d0
7th September 2011, 23:32 (This post was last modified: 7th September 2011 23:33 by Rhythm.)
  17k posts! 3 years membership!
RE: A question regarding proof
I don't know, can it, provide your evidence.
“I find something repulsive about the idea of vicarious redemption. I would not throw my numberless sins onto a scapegoat and expect them to pass from me" - Christopher Hitchens.
Kudos given by (1): 5thHorseman
7th September 2011, 23:35
  9k posts! 3 years membership!
If all we have to go by is your word, no.
"It could be a miracle. It could be bullshit. The one thing we do know for sure is that it's a goddamn goldmine." - Frank, from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Kudos given by (1): Welsh cake
7th September 2011, 23:48
  1k posts! 3 years membership!
What an odd question. Of course you can't prove you had a dream. But by the same token, if you told me you had a dream about a pony, I'd be inclined to believe you, because I wouldn't see the point in lying about it. You could be lying, and you'd probably get away with it if you were.
7th September 2011, 23:51
    3 years membership!
I had a dream that I was a pony in someone else's dream. I was in your dream, OP. Prove I wasn't.
Kudos given by (1): Statler Waldorf
7th September 2011, 23:52 (This post was last modified: 7th September 2011 23:53 by Fred.)
    3 years membership!
(7th September 2011 23:32)Rhythm Wrote:  I don't know, can it, provide your evidence.

No evidence exists. I cannot prove it and neither can you or anyone else.
(7th September 2011 23:35)FaithNoMore Wrote:  If all we have to go by is your word, no.

That's all we have, so yes, the correct answer is no.
Kudos given by (1): Napoléon
7th September 2011, 23:54
No evidence exists, or you personally have no evidence?
“I find something repulsive about the idea of vicarious redemption. I would not throw my numberless sins onto a scapegoat and expect them to pass from me" - Christopher Hitchens.
8th September 2011, 00:02 (This post was last modified: 8th September 2011 00:06 by Fred.)
    3 years membership!
(7th September 2011 23:48)ElDinero Wrote:  What an odd question.

Not at all. Let's walk it out.

Quote:Of course you can't prove you had a dream.

Exactly.

Quote:But by the same token, if you told me you had a dream about a pony, I'd be inclined to believe you,

Why on earth would you believe something for which there was no evidence? That's crazy.

Quote:because I wouldn't see the point in lying about it. You could be lying, and you'd probably get away with it if you were.

There is no proof whatsoever for my dream pony, so of course I am lying. How could it be otherwise? There is simply no credible evidence for the existence of a dream pony, so anyone who claims to have had the experience is lying or delusional.
(7th September 2011 23:54)Rhythm Wrote:  No evidence exists, or you personally have no evidence?

No objective evidence exists.
Kudos given by (1): Ryft
8th September 2011, 00:10 (This post was last modified: 8th September 2011 00:20 by Rhythm.)
Sounds like a claim of absolute certainty. It's probably more appropriate to say that you have no such evidence, and are currently at a loss as to how to provide such evidence.
That being said, I've had dreams, many people report dreams. Ponies don't sound too far fetched do they. I definitely don't have any evidence to the contrary. There doesn't seem to be anything in this statement that is so far fetched as to require verification unless one needed to be technical, so I'd give you your pony dream. (I wouldn't raise my hand and swear that you had a pony dream on my life, but I'd swear that you claimed to have had a pony dream on my life)

PS: I don't think any of this means what you think it means, or supports some argument that you're going to attempt to make anyway.
8th September 2011, 00:35
  1k posts! 3 years membership!
Oh, I see, you were trying to trick me. Obviously not the same thing, mostly because whether or not you dreamed about a pony doesn't matter. Rather than say I'd believe you, it would be better to say 'I would think nothing of your claim'. If you made a claim that you dreamed about a pony and it became real, that would require further testing.
Kudos given by (1): Rhythm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Proof! rtfguy 50 1257 2nd October 2014 21:01
Last Post: TaraJo
  Proof of the soul? JesusLover1 50 1666 6th March 2014 16:23
Last Post: pocaracas
Wink Proof that God(s) can not exist. way12go 19 2170 19th August 2013 02:22
Last Post: bennyboy
  Burden of Proof Mark 13:13 213 20271 13th January 2013 00:38
Last Post: Stimbo
  Finally, proof there is no god! Tempus 6 1783 15th August 2012 04:17
Last Post: Minimalist
  I have proof of God, from God Himself. MuslimBrother 13 2943 30th May 2012 20:17
Last Post: whateverist
  Proof of existence of God jain.rahul 21 3771 15th May 2012 23:05
Last Post: rasetsu
  The Burden of Proof Atheistfreethinker 45 6799 24th August 2011 23:10
Last Post: Cthulhu Dreaming
  proof of end times? locboxx 87 18266 30th November 2008 23:58
Last Post: EvidenceVersusFaith

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)