Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howdy From Texas...The Bible Belt!
Howdy From Texas...The Bible Belt!
Greetings.

I have come to realize, much to the chagrin of my lovely wife, family, and friends, that I can finally attach the label of "atheist" to myself.

I have, for a great many years, simply considered myself a free-thinker, immune to silly ideas of magical powers, and an invisible space sheriff. I do not begrudge believers, nor do I wish to lead them astray from their adopted, or perhaps more correctly, imprinted beliefs. I respect and appreciate the historical significance of theism, and say "the pledge" every week day...including the "one nation under [G]od." part. As you may have already inferred...I am a teacher. More specifically; a science teacher. In Texas. The "Bible Belt".

Therein lies my conflict. I teach science. I live in the world of objective reasoning, surrounded by yet another world of subjective 'truth'. I get answers to questions such as, "What is the source of all the energy that sustains life on our planet?"...and I always get at least one student who answers, "GOD"...instead of the rational answer of, "the sun". I find myself hiding any semblance of my realistic beliefs to avoid being branded as "evil", and subsequently losing my job...masked in a puree of administrative audits, and technical, improvised missteps.

I can see my initial post is bordering on a rant, so I will leave it as it stands. I'm looking forward to discussing objective truths with others, here. I have avoided labeling myself as an "atheist" for many years, as I see it as a bit rediculous to brand myself with a term regarding that which I do not believe...much like classifying myself as a "non-scrapbooker"...or a "non-minivan driver".

But...I am here...so HELLO!
Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata; hiding with the candy, hoping the children do not break through with a stick.
RE: Howdy From Texas...The Bible Belt!
Well, there had to be one...........

[Image: texas-atheist.jpg]

Welcome, Tex.

How the hell can you stand it down there?

Welcome lunchbox, that must surely be one of the toughest jobs on the planet, teaching children of the stupid and ignorant. Kudos sir.

Hey! I'm a bible belt atheist too, so I totally feel your pain. Feel free to let it all out here! I do.

There is no shame in being an atheist. Shame is an invention of religion anyway, so fuck it, be you.

Welcome! See you around! Smile

Here's another - I'm in North Carolina. But you're not alone - one of my dearest friends lives in Plano and he's almost as snarky an atheist as Min.

Big welcome, and may you find solace here.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Hey LunchBox! Kick back, relax and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Hey LunchBox.
While I disagree with your views - I respect Powder Toast Man.
[Image: Semiotic-1.png]
Pollitics | Religion | Headline News | General Chat
Welcome sir.
Cunt
Welcome aboard bud, I absolutely share your frustration in attempting to communicate the demonstrable concepts of science to the superstitious and magically inclined that seem to be everywhere one turns.
(@ the bit about the sun..anything but the obvious answer eh...lol. How we have even made it this far is beyond me)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Thanks for the welcome. I'm actually not interested in trying to convince believers that they are "wrong". In fact, although I enjoy watching the debates, I find them utterly pointless. Taking a step back from these debates, one has to acknowledge that the believers must promote their agena, or their religion dies. "Atheists" have no such agenda, or "calling"...and that set of ideals continues if all believe it...or none.

I have a friend that is now "certified" to teach the apologetics classes at his church. Apologetics...I dare not open my mouth in regard to that subject around my Christian friends, as I am afraid I will unleash the fury of the PEARL model (physical evidence and reasoned logic), and set them into a defensive stammer. Apologetics is a bastardization of science, and it uses REAL science, although at times "cherry-picked", to justify, and promote dogma.

But, I do enjoy healthy discussions...unfortunately, these are hard to have with someone who will not budge from what they have been told is "true". I hope there is a God...that might be nice. But, I don't see it as a reality. It's a strange thing...a dark-hearted atheist open to pretty much anything that can be observed and quantified...versus...a light-hearted, bubbly Christian, standing firm on a belief for which there is zero evidence. Yet...the "atheists" are the close minded.Thinking
Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata; hiding with the candy, hoping the children do not break through with a stick.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Howdy Munch 19 1214 May 2, 2019 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Howdy Icy 23 2165 July 22, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Howdy Imaginaryfriendless 35 4908 July 22, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Howdy from Texas! brian1570 71 7139 September 8, 2015 at 1:22 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Howdy! thehedglin 15 2478 August 30, 2015 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: MTL