Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Kind of Atheist Am I?
What Kind of Atheist Am I?
I'll post my "conversion" story a little later, when I'm good and drunk.

But...reading the forum guidlines (yes, I'm THE guy that actually read them), I noticed there are different types of atheists. I've only recently embraced the label, so I'm not up to speed.

Here's my view in a nutshell:

I believe that science rules, based on the assumption that what is observable, and/or quantifiable is real. However, I find the assumption that what is not observable is not only real, but the magic behind the curtain, to be insulting to the advancement of our species.

I don't debate believers; I don't tell them they are wrong. Part of it is because I am a public school teacher in Texas, and "if word got out"...you know the rest. The main reason though, is I don't feel any compelling reason to explain to my dog how to make home made habanero-lime shrimp. The dog doesn't understand...they are focused on one thing. I don't feel the need to tell believers why they are wrong, because my belief-set exists with, or without anyone elses' approval. Believers, on the other hand, require others to "buy in"...or the religion goes away. Watching debates between Christians and atheists is very entertaining...but I cannot figure out WHY an atheist would spend his/her time trying to point out the obvious to someone, or a group, that is completely unreceptive. Who cares what they believe?

I find the idea of a diety laughable for a number of reasons. For one, it's counterintuitive to believe there is a magical space wizard that:

A. has "His" eye on us all, at all times...
B. is so thin skinned, if you refuse him, he "cast ye into a lake of fire for eternity"...
C. embodies (Christianity, for example) one of the youngest religions, and it's novel was written as a series of short stories by bronze age goat herders...
D. has never presented itself in any quantifiable manner...

Second...isn't it obvious, when browsing the hostory of religion...that it is simply a manifestation of our specie's lack of knowledge within a particular area? Gods have always been invented to explain that which science has yet to.

Lastly, religion, in my view, serves as a host for fears. I'm afraid to die...so I'll pick that option over there, that says I'll ive forever outside my body. I'm sick as hell...doctors are freaking out...maybe there's a divine hand that will step in, so I'll pray. Dear Aunt Sally died...how can I glaze over the mourning process and make it "easier"...those kinds of things.

As I stated in my forum-intro...I hope there really is a [G]od. I'm a science-nerd, and I love being proven wrong. I'm also supremely confident that I will not be proven wrong...because I cannot be.

There it is...I think that's about it. Feel free to ask me anything. Now that I've identified "where I belong"...I'd like to know what niche I serve.
Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata; hiding with the candy, hoping the children do not break through with a stick.
RE: What Kind of Atheist Am I?
Well, do believe there is no god whatsoever, or do you believe all of the man made gods are false but there might be a deist type god out there? The former would make you a gnostic atheist and the latter an agnostic atheist.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 10, 2011 at 11:02 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: Well, do believe there is no god whatsoever, or do you believe all of the man made gods are false but there might be a deist type god out there? The former would make you a gnostic atheist and the latter an agnostic atheist.

I believe the only [G]od IS the man made one, and thus, nonexistant in real terms.
Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata; hiding with the candy, hoping the children do not break through with a stick.
Psssst! Rhythm! We might have a different angle now for our "archetype" book...
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
If you're thinking what I'm thinking we could make a fortune at atheist and skeptic conferences.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 11, 2011 at 12:26 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Psssst! Rhythm! We might have a different angle now for our "archetype" book...

(September 11, 2011 at 12:34 am)Rhythm Wrote: If you're thinking what I'm thinking we could make a fortune at atheist and skeptic conferences.

Hi...I'm sure you can see me tapping on the glass wondering what the hell you're talking about in there...
(September 11, 2011 at 12:16 am)LunchBox Wrote: I believe the only [G]od IS the man made one, and thus, nonexistant in real terms.

Gnostic atheist aka strong atheist
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Adrian, help me out here...I'm trying to find the thread you made up (and I wanna say you had Ryft working with you, which is all sorts of gooey-butt-lovin'-hello-kitty-panty-wearin' weird) where you had a running list of all the levels of atheism...
I've come to a point in my life where I'm just going to have fun with whatever I am. So...might as well nail it down...no pun intended.
I swear I remember a post where it was all laid out just so you could have a label, if you wanted. I tried looking for it, but it's about 1AM where I live and I just had to answer some questions about circumcision to a group of skeptics that pretty much drained my brain for the night.

As for Rhythm and I, don't mind us. Like Macbeth's weird sisters we've always got some evil brew cooking up between us two.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  All kind of Agnostics people Eclectic 4 508 August 25, 2022 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  what kind of pet food do you like? Rico 15 3263 July 19, 2015 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What Kind of Atheist are You? AFTT47 89 11618 May 2, 2015 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  as an atheist, what kind of morality do you foster in your lives? ticktaka 34 6317 April 19, 2014 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  kind of isolated k2490 11 2284 June 21, 2013 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: k2490
  What kind of atheist are you? frz 40 8453 April 17, 2013 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: Brayton.l
  What Kind of Atheist are you? SavageNerdz 32 10298 April 6, 2012 at 9:22 am
Last Post: Tempus