Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neptune is REALLY really far away...
Neptune is REALLY really far away...
For our astronomy nerds...

Courtesy Mr. Phil Plait

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badast...-far-away/

Phil Plait Wrote:Mike tweeted about the image, and I oohed and ahhhed at it, of course. But then he tweeted again, saying he was also observing Jupiter’s moon Europa, but it was too bright to get good images using the monster 10-meter Keck telescope. It "saturated the detector" which is astronomer-speak for "overexposed".

That’s funny, I thought. Neptune looks fine in the image, and the random noisy grain in it makes it clear Mike wasn’t anywhere near saturating the image. Now I know Europa is closer to the Earth, so it should look brighter, but geez, it’s a moon, and a lot smaller than Neptune. How could it be too bright to image?

Neptune and Triton in infrared:

[Image: keck_mikebrown_neptunetriton.jpg]

Douglas Adams Wrote:Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Neptune is REALLY really far away...
I'm not an astronomy nerd, but that's awesome, nevertheless Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Phil is the man and posts or tweets some of the most amazing stuff.
Neptune is far away? Pfffft.. Thinking

Neptune is in our backyard, our solar system

It's all about relativity. From our point of view it is far away, I'll give you that Smile
but think of it from a universal scale Confused Fall
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
You appreciate terms of distance when you study far-away objects such as 90377 Sedna.

On this note, isn't Triton going to eventually collide into Neptune at some point in the future?
Wow, summerqueen! Sweet pic! I book marked that blog because it gave my brain the happy.

(September 19, 2011 at 2:58 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: You appreciate terms of distance when you study far-away objects such as 90377 Sedna.

On this note, isn't Triton going to eventually collide into Neptune at some point in the future?

Yes! Not any time soon. In between 10 and 100 million years the two will collide and Triton will be exploded into colossal rings around Neptune... possibly bigger than Saturn's rings.

If you can follow Phil on Twitter and Google +, I'd recommend it. He's the one that showed me this awesome bit that I posted in the Ice Caves thread.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Perseverance Lander minutes away from Mars. Gawdzilla Sama 27 1473 March 30, 2021 at 10:16 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  What Keeps Electrons Away from the Nucleus of an Atom? Rhondazvous 24 5602 January 14, 2018 at 10:46 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Far Too Complicated For Creatards Minimalist 4 1487 April 7, 2016 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
Rainbow There might be another copy of you 10^10^29 Metres away. theVOID 41 6977 July 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower