Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Prelude to Winter Deep Sky Objects
A Prelude to Winter Deep Sky Objects
This is an image I took last December 8, but never was satisfied with the results. I've reprocessed it, which I think gave much better results. Unfortunately, the image is slightly out of focus (the bright stars should not have double diffraction spikes), and the object isn't centered in the image. I am hoping to get a much better result this year, as this is on my re-do list.

[Image: New_rosettea-1.jpg]

NGC 2237 - The Rosette Nebula, in the direction of the constellation of Monoceros

The Rosette Nebula is a large, diffuse emission nebula located 3000 light-years away (so large, in fact, that I can't get it all in view at the focal plane of my telescope). The great abundance of hydrogen gas gives NGC 2237 its red color in most photographs. The wind from the open cluster of stars known as NGC 2244 has cleared a hole in the nebula's center.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: A Prelude to Winter Deep Sky Objects
Beautiful none the less Oro!!

Haven't heard of Monoceros constellation *waddles of to GFGI Big Grin
http://www.oneminuteastronomer.com/2425/...monoceros/
The Constellation Monoceros

December 13, 2010

We close out 2010 with a look at the constellation Monoceros. This dim constellation, which represents a celestial unicorn, holds no bright stars and is often overlooked for brighter Orion and Gemini and Canis Major. But don’t pass this constellation by. It holds more interesting deep-sky objects than Orion, and gives you many pleasurable moments of stargazing in the waning days of the year.

Monoceros occupies the barren gulf of sky bordered by Orion to the west, Gemini to the north, Canis Major to the south and Hydra to the east. Since it lies on the celestial equator, it’s visible to observers in both hemispheres. Seeing the outline of a unicorn in this dim patch of stars is nearly as challenging as seeing a real unicorn. If you’re in the city, you’ll find it hard to spot any stars at all. The brightest star in Monoceros is magnitude 3.9, and only four stars come close to 4th magnitude.

For those of us who AREN'T Astronomers...a bit of history and info.
http://www.dibonsmith.com/mon_con.htm

And the obligatory Wiki linky
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoceros
So now I'll keep an eye out for it here in Oz. Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Here is a widefield view of Monocros. Note the pink smudge near the center. That is the Rosette Nebula.

[Image: MW-Monoceros-s.jpg]
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Zen was at a place called Koorda (read NO Light pollution) He was totally awed by the "Blaze of stars" and the clear definition of the 'Milky way'

So Monoceros constellation is not visible to the naked eye at all??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(September 20, 2011 at 8:32 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Zen was at a place called Koorda (read NO Light pollution) He was totally awed by the "Blaze of stars" and the clear definition of the 'Milky way'

Yes, we were there on a night when our bit of the planet was pointing directly at the centre of the galaxy.

Talk about a river of light, it was stunning.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(September 20, 2011 at 8:32 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Zen was at a place called Koorda (read NO Light pollution) He was totally awed by the "Blaze of stars" and the clear definition of the 'Milky way'

In very dark skies, yes, if you know what to look for. You can also see it in binoculars.

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Some men give diamonds...you give the stars. Smile
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
But diamonds can be taken to the pawn shop.
Min, you're such a romantic.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(September 20, 2011 at 10:11 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Some men give diamonds...you give the stars. Smile

And when stars look like flowers, I give roses. Angel Cloud

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Sky God Was Not A Delusion Bard A Madsen 38 4354 November 25, 2015 at 11:36 am
Last Post: Bard A Madsen