Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speed-of-light experiments give baffling result at Cern
Speed-of-light experiments give baffling result at Cern
Quote:Puzzling results from Cern, home of the LHC, have confounded physicists - because it appears subatomic particles have exceeded the speed of light.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484

Is that an experimental error in calibration?

Should the results be confirmed, what does it mean?

One possibility is to look at the Lorentz transformations equations,

or

we have a problem with causality

or

we've been fooled into thinking all those years that Relativity is the correct theory to describe the universe at large scale.

or

some new physics in the making involved a concept unknown up to now.

Thoughts?

RE: Speed-of-light experiments give baffling result at Cern
I've been reading about this. I can't wait until they release the full rundown tomorrow. I love a good scientific controversy.

If you're spellbound by this, as I am, there will be a live webcast tomorrow in which CERN will be discussing the findings in the report. You can watch it here:

http://webcast.cern.ch/

Let's see if other labs reproduce the findings.

The bible makes a lot of claims that cannot be verified too. Shitheads the world over thus believe in it!
I hope it's evidence of tachyons, because that would be cool. Tongue
My father and I have suspected this for a long time, that there were particles of matter out there that could do faster-than-light travel. Naturally any such discovery which threatens to up-heave a century of physics will receive a lot of hostility from many scientists across the board, and that's putting it mildly. Tongue

Its a set-back if proven true but I'd rather throw out a hundred inaccurate science textbooks and write up new ones from scratch, than risk keeping out-of-date information that'll prevent us understanding reality better, wouldn't you?
An update on this:

Apparently the neutrinos were fired a distance of 500 miles, and traveled that distance 60 nanoseconds faster that light would have taken. It's not much, but it's still faster.
I'm taking a physics course, and I'm seriously considering emailing this story to him.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(September 22, 2011 at 7:07 pm)aleialoura Wrote: I've been reading about this. I can't wait until they release the full rundown tomorrow. I love a good scientific controversy.

If you're spellbound by this, as I am, there will be a live webcast tomorrow in which CERN will be discussing the findings in the report. You can watch it here:

http://webcast.cern.ch/

Thanks for the info. Do you know at what time?

(September 22, 2011 at 7:49 pm)Tiberius Wrote: An update on this:

Apparently the neutrinos were fired a distance of 500 miles, and traveled that distance 60 nanoseconds faster that light would have taken. It's not much, but it's still faster.

Calibration error should have given no more than 10 nanoseconds. That's why the team is worried and asking other team to verify their findings.

The website says 16:00 CEST.
Well none of this is a problem for quantum mechanics, they may have to devise a whole new branch of science to accommodate faster-than-light particles though.

Can anyone see the potential benefits of using neutrinos as a new form of communication? I mean, were we to fire them through the planet could it revolutionise Internet access?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Einstein Say Light is Massive? Rhondazvous 25 3162 July 8, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Puzzling thing about Speed of Light/Speed of Causality vulcanlogician 25 2650 August 24, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1878 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  An Interesting thing About Light Rhondazvous 14 2391 October 31, 2017 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 55352 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Does the Higgs Boson Give Mass to Other Bosons? Rhondazvous 9 1790 August 3, 2017 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Does the Higgs Boson Enforce the CCosmic Speed Limit Rhondazvous 14 3188 July 24, 2017 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Anti-Matter at CERN chimp3 24 3394 December 21, 2016 at 7:12 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Why Can't Anything Travel Faster than Light? Rhondazvous 48 5997 December 14, 2016 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Physics questions about light bennyboy 10 2546 September 20, 2016 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: bennyboy