Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you believe in god or math?
Do you believe in god or math?
Quote:Sure enough, people who went with their intuition on the math test were found to be one-and-a-half times more likely to believe in God than those who got all the answers right. The results held even when taking factors such as education and income into account.

linky link
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: Do you believe in god or math?
Math, of course.

Math is actually useful, whereas god causes problems that even Math can't fix.

I did not like math in school.

But 'god' sucks even more.
I don't believe in Math. Wait, what was the question?
Mathematics is brilliant. God sucks donkey dick.
False dichotomy ,nor does correlation equal causation.

Although I can do reasonably complex arithmetic in my head, did not pass maths after year 9. For years I thought it was because I was just too stupid. I found out via a wonderful tutor at university it was only because of the way I was taught. Quite simply, the method which suits the majority does not suit everyone..

With an IQ of about 100, the interest and a good teacher,just about anyone can be taught maths to undergraduate level.
(September 23, 2011 at 2:50 am)padraic Wrote: False dichotomy ,nor does correlation equal causation.

There is no causation. The article is only saying that those who use 'intuition' first, rather than logic/evaluation, tend to be the ones that believe in a god.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Neither. You can physically demonstrate the concepts of mathematics. No belief is required.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Math produces and outcome, whereas god doesn't.

Math- 1 points
God - 0 points
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
(September 23, 2011 at 8:59 am)Rhythm Wrote: Neither. You can physically demonstrate the concepts of mathematics. No belief is required.

One has to argue this point. Mathematics is entirely subjective. It cannot be proven in the physical world. There is not a 3 playing tag with a 4 in the world.
We have projected them. Math is useful, but not real. We use it as a device to simplify our thoughts with regard to the numerical relation of objects.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.
Mark Twain

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Math game Fake Messiah 47 3317 October 14, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  [Serious] What are your overall opinions on people who are idiots in math? Gentle_Idiot 41 5375 December 18, 2022 at 11:02 am
Last Post: polymath257
  I hate math Woah0 5 1036 September 25, 2022 at 5:10 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Math problem that is driving the Internet crazy GrandizerII 49 6972 April 27, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Explain the Math - Must Be Rocket Scientist to Participate. T0 Th3 M4X 13 1911 December 3, 2018 at 7:21 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Can you cut a cake fairly to solve this middle school math problem? Whateverist 82 13767 August 7, 2017 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Why Do You Like Math? Kernel Sohcahtoa 33 5991 February 5, 2017 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Great math interaction site for "beginners" (algebra, geometry, even calculus) GrandizerII 3 1470 October 20, 2016 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Can you solve this 6th grade math problem? pocaracas 52 10842 August 15, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Math Educations: who needs it, how much and when? Whateverist 49 13660 February 28, 2016 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: Chas