Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A point for Christianity
A point for Christianity
Although I don't consider myself a Christian, I will do something I don't see many atheists do, I will consider the consequences of atheism and Christianity taken to their logical ends:

Atheism: If we truly adopted it, we would have human-controlled evolution, world dictatorship, and a kind of communism that would make Stalinism pale in comparison.

I say this because atheism removes "inailienable rights endowed by a Creator." It also, ultimately, destroys existential meaning which is necessary for human psychology. Without that meaning coming from religious ideas, the state would have to provide it in an extreme form of ...from each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Christianity, however, taken to its extreme would lead to a kind of anarchy where everyone loved one another as much as they loved themselves, and there would be no positions of authority or leadership. Everyone would be everyone's leader. I would not see, for instance, Tiberius, or Kyu, as other than myself. I would see them as part of myself and I would be part of them in their opinion. Everyone would do for each other and the human race would move toward a union with God.

I'm not saying the Christian Church is anywhere close to this. It is a horrible and hypocritical institution. I'm merely comparing the ideas of Christianity vs. Atheism.

IMO, both would ultimately lead to the end of the human race, and that may be why the Father doesn't allow either to succeed. I think He still has some stuff he wants to do with us.
RE: A point for Christianity
(March 28, 2009 at 2:44 pm)Edward Wrote: Although I don't consider myself a Christian, I will do something I don't see many atheists do, I will consider the consequences of atheism and Christianity taken to their logical ends:

Atheism: If we truly adopted it, we would have human-controlled evolution, world dictatorship, and a kind of communism that would make Stalinism pale in comparison.

I say this because atheism removes "inailienable rights endowed by a Creator." It also, ultimately, destroys existential meaning which is necessary for human psychology. Without that meaning coming from religious ideas, the state would have to provide it in an extreme form of ...from each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Christianity, however, taken to its extreme would lead to a kind of anarchy where everyone loved one another as much as they loved themselves, and there would be no positions of authority or leadership. Everyone would be everyone's leader. I would not see, for instance, Tiberius, or Kyu, as other than myself. I would see them as part of myself and I would be part of them in their opinion. Everyone would do for each other and the human race would move toward a union with God.

I'm not saying the Christian Church is anywhere close to this. It is a horrible and hypocritical institution. I'm merely comparing the ideas of Christianity vs. Atheism.

IMO, both would ultimately lead to the end of the human race, and that may be why the Father doesn't allow either to succeed. I think He still has some stuff he wants to do with us.

Don't you know that " the Father " probably doesn't exist?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(March 28, 2009 at 2:44 pm)Edward Wrote: Atheism: If we truly adopted it, we would have human-controlled evolution, world dictatorship, and a kind of communism that would make Stalinism pale in comparison.

No, no, no! Tongue
Atheism doesn't have anything to say about politics. Although it would remove the "inalienable rights from god", it wouldn't remove our evolved sense of morality. I don't believe in a god, but this doesn't make me want to take people's rights away. The argument you make is non sequitar. Atheism would just take god, heaven, hell, souls, prayers, etc, out of the legal system. It wouldn't destroy our built-up morality necessarily.

Human controlled evolution is not a bad thing! And although it isn't a goal of atheism, I do agree under an atheist administration it would be more likely to happen. What's wrong with it though? I mean seriously. Being able to enhance our species in ways which make us less susceptible to diseases, less susceptible to depression, less likely to develop chronic back pains. All of these advancements would be beneficial as far as I can see.

As far as dictatorship goes, this doesn't follow from atheism. As far as communism goes, this doesn't follow from atheism.

edward Wrote:Christianity, however, taken to its extreme would lead to a kind of anarchy where everyone loved one another as much as they loved themselves, and there would be no positions of authority or leadership. Everyone would be everyone's leader. I would not see, for instance, Tiberius, or Kyu, as other than myself. I would see them as part of myself and I would be part of them in their opinion. Everyone would do for each other and the human race would move toward a union with God.

By what definition of christianity is this achieved? For it seems in contrast to many teachings of the bible. And which bible interpretation will be taken? A fundementalist view will end our research in biology, geology, cosmology, etc, as the facts don't fit the fiction. If it's a non-literal interpretation, who's metaphorical interpretation is to be accepted as the truth? You'll have to make that clarification before the system can be accurately judged.
We don't need God in order to legislate inalienable rights. There simply doesn't need to be justification.
- Meatball
(March 28, 2009 at 2:44 pm)Edward Wrote: Atheism: If we truly adopted it, we would have human-controlled evolution, world dictatorship, and a kind of communism that would make Stalinism pale in comparison.

Says who? I assume you base this on the usual Christian claim that communist Russia was atheism doing bad things? It wasn't BTW, it was bad people doing bad things? Would you like to invoke Hitler next? Or Pol Pot?

(March 28, 2009 at 2:44 pm)Edward Wrote: I say this because atheism removes "inailienable rights endowed by a Creator." It also, ultimately, destroys existential meaning which is necessary for human psychology. Without that meaning coming from religious ideas, the state would have to provide it in an extreme form of ...from each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

What inalienable rights? What creator? Survival is essential for human psychology ... sure we crave more but survival will do so we can fight for more.

(March 28, 2009 at 2:44 pm)Edward Wrote: Christianity, however, taken to its extreme would lead to a kind of anarchy where everyone loved one another as much as they loved themselves, and there would be no positions of authority or leadership. Everyone would be everyone's leader. I would not see, for instance, Tiberius, or Kyu, as other than myself. I would see them as part of myself and I would be part of them in their opinion. Everyone would do for each other and the human race would move toward a union with God.

Islam taken to its logical extreme might try to claim the same, and Judaism, and Hinduism, and Buddhism. Why Christianity? Personally I think it all sounds like idealistic rubbish based on very flaky assumptions (for a start that Christianity is a good thing or even based on good principles).

(March 28, 2009 at 2:44 pm)Edward Wrote: I'm not saying the Christian Church is anywhere close to this. It is a horrible and hypocritical institution. I'm merely comparing the ideas of Christianity vs. Atheism.

Atheism is not a philosophy, it's a label. Why are you comparing the philosophy of Christianity with a label?

(March 28, 2009 at 2:44 pm)Edward Wrote: IMO, both would ultimately lead to the end of the human race, and that may be why the Father doesn't allow either to succeed. I think He still has some stuff he wants to do with us.

Whose father? Mine's dead.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
I'd like to see the evidence you have that suggests that the religious belief of a country has an effect on the social nature of the country. There are bad people in every country, and a lot of them are Christians (heck, a lot of them are atheists too!). That doesn't prove anything other than religion counts for nothing when murderers go out and kill people.
Please back up your claim.

But you can't because surprise surprise studies have shown a STRONG positive correlation between secular countries and societal health.

Quote:RELIGIOUS belief can cause damage to a society, contributing towards high murder rates, abortion, sexual promiscuity and suicide, according to research published today.

According to the study, belief in and worship of God are not only unnecessary for a healthy society but may actually contribute to social problems.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk...571206.ece
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(March 29, 2009 at 4:40 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote: Please back up your claim.

But you can't because surprise surprise studies have shown a STRONG positive correlation between secular countries and societal health.

Quote:RELIGIOUS belief can cause damage to a society, contributing towards high murder rates, abortion, sexual promiscuity and suicide, according to research published today.

According to the study, belief in and worship of God are not only unnecessary for a healthy society but may actually contribute to social problems.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk...571206.ece

I read a book by Sam Harris about this. "Letter to a Christian Nation".

I found it extremely interesting that the evidence that christianity worked was completely contrary to what it should be. I mean, we might not be able to find empirical proof of god, but surely there would be some sort of sociological proof that christianity as a religion produced positive results in people. Sure, there's always a party pooper, but this time it seems there's more party poopers than not. Speaks loads about the existence of a god who can help people.
"I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability." Oscar Wilde
My Blog | Why I Don't Believe in God

I am not going to read on further on this post that I am quoting from here. This is enough - you fall right here - for me at least.

How many times does it have to be said that atheism is simply the absence of belief in God. It is ONE NON-BELIEF.

NONE of those things you say here have ANYTHING TO DO WITH ATHEISM.

EvF
I even get ticked when my friends claim something I agree with is related to atheisim. It's not.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what is the point? Drich 123 7251 September 19, 2020 at 11:04 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 6750 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Is There a Point To Living a Moral Life? ronedee 323 122786 July 14, 2015 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  What's the point of this life in Christianity? FreeTony 50 11357 March 5, 2014 at 1:28 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8461 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18220 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  What is the point of morality if you're a theist? Esquilax 50 12574 October 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: Owlix
  Point of worship? justin 18 5261 March 6, 2013 at 9:05 am
Last Post: John V