Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did the flood really occur?
Did the flood really occur?
I bought an old book called The Bible As History by Werner Keller (New York, 1981). Yes, it's old, but it has the same general challenge the websites and the apologetics articles address, which is whether "the" flood was global or local. This book presents the evidence that a flood occured.

I will present the findings using quotes from the book, then my opinion of the article written by the website GodandScience.org. Finally I will give my personal thoughts.

“Actually it was by coincidence—during research into something quite different—that unmistakable evidence of the Flood appeared, as it were, of its own accord. And that happened at a place we have already got to know: at the excavation at Ur.” (p.44)The archeologist Woolley discovered the great kings of Ur.
“Directly under the floor of the tombs of the kings we found in a layer of charred wood ash numerous clay tablets, which were covered with characters of a much older type than the inscriptions on the graves. Judging by the nature of the writing the tablets could be assigned to about 3000 B.C. They were therefore two or three centuries earlier than the tombs.” (p. 45)Woolley dug beneath the floor of the tomb to find virgin soil, but found clay instead. “He carefully prodded the ground on the floor of the shaft and stopped short: it was clay, pure clay of a kind that could only have been deposited by water!” (p. 46) “Under this clay deposit almost 10 feet thick they had struck fresh evidence of human habitation.” (p.46) “The Flood—that was the only possible explanation of this great clay deposit beneath the hill at Ur, which quite clearly separated two epochs of settlement. The sea had left its unmistakable traces in the shape of remains of little marine organisms embedded in the clay.” (p. 47) “Other archeologists discovered a further important check-point near Kish, south-east of Babylon, where the Euphrates and the Tigris flow in a great bend towards each other.” (p. 48) “According to Woolley the disaster engulfed an area north-west of the Persian Gulf amounting to 400 miles long and 100 miles wide, looking at the map we should call it today “a local occurrence”—for the inhabitants of the river plains it was however in those days their whole world.” (p. 48) “Reckoning by the age of the strata containing traces of human habitation, and in this respect they are as reliable as a calendar, it could also be ascertained when the great Flood took place. It happened about 4000 B.C.” (p. 48) Woolley and another archeologist, Langdon, bickered about the time frame of the flood and their dating did not align. “In other words, Woolley’s “Flood” was obviously not of sufficient magnitude for the Biblical “Flood”, unless we assume that one of the flood catastrophes shown by archeology to have occurred in Mesopotamia had nevertheless had such a lasting effect on the inhabitants of those days that—with considerable amount of exaggeration—the tradition of a catastrophe to humanity could arise from it. Naturally, however, this supposition and the Biblical flood, at any rate a flood of the unimaginable extent described in the Bible, still remains “archeologically not demonstrated”.(p. 49)

Concerning the article titled: The Genesis Flood - Why the Bible Says It Must Be Localhttp://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/localflood.html

In this article Rich Deem lays out his reasoning behind supporting a local flood instead of a global flood. Take a moment to read the article to see what he has to say. I read the Scripture he mentioned (Psalms) and I also remember the account of the Tower of Babel, which I think is a good reference to the people of Earth at the time. I feel that it is plausible for the Lord to be speaking of the “whole earth” and mean the people in that remote area, which is similar to people currently saying, “everyone is sick”, when in reality they mean about three people in their personal circle are sick, not the entirety of the earth.

The specific verse in Psalms 104:9 “You set a boundary they [water] cannot cross; never again will they cover the earth.” I disagree when the article mentions that this verse makes it clear that the flood was local. I do not feel this is referring to the boundaries of the flood as it spread, but more so the boundaries of the water when it was first established at creation, and the fact that the Lord would keep his word to never flood the earth again, which pushes me closer to the idea that the Lord covered the entire earth in water, not just a certain area.

My Conclusion:
It’s clear that the brief evidence that has been presented archeologically from The Bible As History, the flood seems more local than global. I think that this heavy flood (400 miles long, 100 miles wide) does not have to be considered the Biblical flood, but should definitely be given some supernatural considerations as to its origin. I think that if a skeptic would decide to stake their opinion of the reliability of the Bible based only on what has been presented here for the account of the flood, that person is seeking to discredit the Bible without any real effort in their research. I think that this sentiment can be applied to some Christians (myself among them) who discredit evolution and other scientific theories without knowing the specifics of the issue. I feel that the research I am doing will provide a more educated response to some matters (creationism, evolution, young-earth and old-earth theories) and I would hope that it would inspire some atheists to have an educated response to Biblical things, which would mean exegetical and historical research, not just, “it doesn’t make sense, so I don’t believe it” that’s how too many religious people respond, don’t you agree?

So, did the flood really occur? According to what has been presented a flood did occur, whether it’s “the” flood will be up to the individual. Since none of us were present when this flood happened we either have faith that it was not the flood of the Bible or have faith that it was. We either have faith that the flood covered the entire world or we have faith it was local. Whatever happens, we must use our faith to decide for us because the evidence can only verify it happened, but cannot verify every detail, take the pyramids for example, as far as I know, we’re still having trouble understanding how they were built. Basically, it’s our understanding of the subject as a whole that determines what we’ll believe.

An Example:
Fact: Women lie.
My mother is a woman, therefore she’s a liar.
But from what I know of her as a person, she speaks the truth more than lies. In response to my understanding of her and experience with her, I believe my mother is honest.
This does not overrule the fact that she’s a liar instead belief allows me to extend trust that my knowledge of her is sufficient for me to continue being connected and in contact with her.
(My knowledge of God (based on understanding and experience) is sufficient for me to extend trust in the Bible and to continue being connected and in contact with the Bible and God, though some facts may oppose me.)

Based on my understanding of God as revealed in the Bible I believe that the Flood took place around 4,000 BC. I think it’s convenient to say that it was local because then the Egyptian civilization could still be moving and growing, unharmed, while all the other wicked people are washed away in this huge restricted flood. I would rather stick to the original idea that the Flood was worldwide and that the animals needed to be aboard the ark because God wasn’t going to let the others survive. I think that a local flood would rarely maroon a boat on a mountain and I also think that constant rain for 40 days and 40 nights would cause a lot more rushing water than just 400 miles long, 100 miles wide.

This is what I have come up with.

Salty (Q2: Did the exodus really occur?)
"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." Hebrews 11:6
RE: Did the flood really occur?
No. It didn't.
If I die and god is real, im so screwed.
In other words, you found evidence that floods occur, which is of course not in dispute. Evidence for the biblical flood, global, the giant boat, the rest of the fairy tale?

Also, why, and please tell me you actually thought about this, do you think that a supernatural explanation for a flood deserves consideration when the causes of floods are understood in great detail and do not require divine intervention?

I sent you a great link detailing evidence based objections to a global flood, the entire narrative in fact. You didn't address any of them. You've simply responded here with "I believe.". I have to say that this is the most disappointing thing I've yet experienced on this forum. I think you should have taken more time on this. Perhaps you'd like to take another crack at it? What you've presented here is not an educated response, nor is it anything even approaching what I would consider the kind of research that any adult should be capable of. Why did you even research the subject if you were going to defer instead, completely, to the narrative in dispute?

To summarize......WTF Salty?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
No. Jonah getting swallowed by a whale and surviving for three days inside it is more 'probable', and I use the term very very generously because its biologically impossible for most whales' anatomy to accomplish said feat, like Blue Whales for example, and Sperm Whales' lack of air cavities mean even if it happen you'd die of decompression sickness and/or asphyxiation within minutes.

(September 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm)salty Wrote: An Example:
Fact: Women lie.
False. Women like men have the potential to lie.

Quote:Salty (Q2: Did the exodus really occur?)
Nope.
I don't understand why people think that you have to have a magical flood to have water covering a large portion of the earth's surface ??????

It's an odd assertion. "Water leaving behind debris and fossils must be a Biblical flood." Why can't it just be fucking water?
[Image: Evolution.png]

If you can even ask this question, you need to swim up through the muck of christianity right now and surface for some fresh factual air.
The whole global flood thing never happened. The boat for one would never float, it would be too big. Wooden ships buckle and sink if built too big. Also 7 million species couldn't all fit on a single wooden ship. Inbreeding would present another problem. So would lacking environmental conditions for many animals. Also there'd be no room for the food and with little space, animals will become frustrated, plus a complete lack of hygiene.

Unless you can solve each of these problems (which isn't possible), you might as well give up on the idea.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(September 28, 2011 at 2:45 pm)Ace Otana Wrote: The whole global flood thing never happened. The boat for one would never float, it would be too big. Wooden ships buckle and sink if built too big. Also 7 million species couldn't all fit on a single wooden ship. Inbreeding would present another problem. So would lacking environmental conditions for many animals. Also there'd be no room for the food and with little space, animals will become frustrated, plus a complete lack of hygiene.

Unless you can solve each of these problems (which isn't possible), you might as well give up on the idea.

What?! They couldn't fit millions and millions of species of animals on the ark and redistribute them back to their specific places of origin??!!?!!

I'm shocked!!

[Image: liar-animated-animation-liar-smiley-emot...-large.gif]
[Image: Evolution.png]

I knew it was too good to be true. If the conclusion you have drawn begins with 'I would rather stick to the original idea...' then you haven't learned a thing. You actually said 'even though facts oppose me'. Don't you understand how crazy this is? Imagine if someone told you 'I believe that the Earth is actually made of rubber and the Sun is actually a lightbulb suspended a mile or two above Earth, even though some facts oppose me'.

This is cognitive dissonance. You cannot just ignore facts because you find them inconvenient and contradict a book that was written before people had a thorough understanding of these things! Well, you can, but it's really really stupid.
Floods happen from time to time so evidence for floods is easy, now a global killing mega flood with ark etc that is just silly.

Did the biblical flood happen.

Certainly not as described. I do think that it might be based on a historical flood that was just exagerated greatly.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Noahide Flood LinuxGal 67 3442 December 7, 2023 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: Huolpoch
  Did Moses really write the first few books of the bible? T.J. 30 2143 November 19, 2021 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  So, what would an actual 'biblical' flood look like ?? vorlon13 64 14608 August 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Flood destroys Tony Perkins' house drfuzzy 14 2084 August 18, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: brewer
  Evisceration of the mythical Global flood goodwithoutgod 13 3248 October 17, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  I have a question about the Great Flood ApeNotKillApe 32 7127 September 28, 2015 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Did this really happened? Zidneya 5 1986 June 8, 2014 at 8:18 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Noah's Flood vs Aquatic Fauna Duke Guilmon 15 5715 April 28, 2014 at 10:29 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Noah's Flood vs Population bottlenecks and the foundereffect Duke Guilmon 1 1392 April 27, 2014 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Did God fire an Angel or Did an Angel just quit? The Reality Salesman01 50 20074 July 22, 2013 at 11:47 am
Last Post: Godscreated