Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vindication of the Multiregional hypothesis for human origins
Vindication of the Multiregional hypothesis for human origins
With the discoveries of modern humans being descended in part from previous human species (Neanderthals, archaic homo in Africa and Asian "Neanderthals"). The whole out of Africa theory is becoming under a serious challenge and the multi-regional hypothesis for the origin of humans might very well be vindicated. I for example used to be until recently die hard out-of-Africa, however I have had to reconsider that position on the basis of evidence uncovered (particularly through DNA studies).

Any thoughts from others on the forum about these recent developments in theories on how homo sapiens originated.

undefined
RE: Vindication of the Multiregional hypothesis for human origins
Well, it would probably be more accurate to state that we would have to modify the "out of africa" story. As our earliest ancestors are still only found there. Not exactly a wholesale replacement, and something that happens all the time in science. Think newtonion physics to Relativity.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I think the notion that all modern humans derive the predominant portion of the genes from very recent migrations out of Africa has not been significantly challenged. The notion that there was no interbreeding between the out-of-Africa population and local population is completely unnecessary to the validity of OOA hypothesis.

One might say so long as all major modern populations derive at least 50% of those genes which makes them homosapien from recent migrations out of Africa, OOA stands. Recent discoveries merely suggest not 100% of all of our genes came exclusively out of Africa in a single migration.

So recent discoveries chipped away at superfluous icing on the OOA cake. It hasn't even come close to touching the essential substance of OOA.
I have to disagree with you, Chuck. As late as 2007 they were still insisting that OoA ( as written - not as you wish to amend it) was conclusive.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...161829.htm

Quote:The research confirms the “Out Of Africa” hypothesis that all modern humans stem from a single group of Homo sapiens who emigrated from Africa 2,000 generations ago and spread throughout Eurasia over thousands of years. These settlers replaced other early humans (such as Neanderthals), rather than interbreeding with them.

OoA is the theory of a single common heritage for all of humanity. You can't chip away such a big piece of it and still say the theory remains intact. They must now revise their theory to account for the findings of the Neanderthal genome project which was released a mere two years later. No one held a gun to their heads and made them say that there was no interbreeding with HNS. That is a self-inflicted wound.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Okay. Interesting Hypothesis Minimalist 2 721 August 29, 2016 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Origins of sex discovered: Side-by-side copulation Dolorian 4 1583 October 21, 2014 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Resurrected protein's clue to origins of life downbeatplumb 4 1733 August 8, 2013 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Captain Colostomy
  The Red Queen Hypothesis Full Circle 4 1559 July 18, 2013 at 9:21 pm
Last Post: Full Circle
  The Mosaic of Human Origins pocaracas 4 3214 May 3, 2013 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Origins of the pale skin color in Europeans Justtristo 30 14458 September 21, 2012 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Evolutionary Origins of Marriage Justtristo 0 1464 June 15, 2012 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  Origins of Us BBC documentary 5thHorseman 12 5308 October 19, 2011 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: HeyItsZeus
  Critique of new creationist book on "Origins" Secularone 3 1922 November 3, 2009 at 6:20 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  The Evolutionary Origins of Hiccups and Hernias leo-rcc 0 1523 December 30, 2008 at 8:11 am
Last Post: leo-rcc