Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talking to Christians
Talking to Christians
So this weekend I traveled with my college football team out of state for a weekend of football. On the way from our hotel to the stadium, it was about an hour and a half drive.

I was sitting with my good friend, and somehow he started talking about God. He is a hardcore Catholic, so I thought it would be a good idea to have fun with this guy Wink I can't remember every single thing we discussed, but I'll summarize what he said. Quotes are not exact, but I'm using them to let you guys what was said.

First, he told me, "Look at these trees, God had to put them there for a reason."

I started trolling him a bit asking him some simple questions, then he told me "Asking too many questions is what causes atheism. Some questions aren't meant to be answered. Let's just end the conversation because you're giving me a headache."

I lawled when he told me this. XD

But like a minute later, he started talking about the bible.. Oh wow, what a mistake he made Tongue

He told me how the bible was the "Word of God" and how God is perfect and the bible is perfect and how God is an exception to everything; time, existence, etc. He continued to add that God made man in the image of himself but man is not perfect because of our sins, which makes us flawed.

So I asked him, "So you are telling me God wrote the Holy Bible?."

He them goes on to tell me "No it was written by man over the course of years through inspiration by God."

So I then ask, "So, man wrote the bible? How could the bible be perfect? It can't be the 'Word of God' if man wrote the bible. If man was flawed, then the bible is flawed too. It's the Word of Man; created by man."

Then he tells me to stop questioning and that some things aren't meant to be answered, again Tongue

Somehow a few minutes later we talk about it again, this time about faith. I ask him, "Why can we prove everything there is to know? Except god?"

He tells me you just gotta have faith. He tells me you can't prove there is a God, and to stop questioning it.. Haha what a moron. ROFLOL

Anyway, we end up talking about heaven and hell a bit later. Another mistake. I ask him, "So who goes to hell? Do the Muslims go to hell? Do the non believers go to hell?"

He tells me, "It is not my place to tell you who goes to heaven or hell, that's God's decision."

So later he talks about his grandparents are Baptists, and that just because they aren't Catholic like him, they are going to heaven because they believe in the Christian God.

I ask, "Didn't you just say 5 minutes ago it is not your place to tell me who goes to heaven or hell, that it is God's place, and yet here you are, telling me that your grandparents are going to heaven?" Angel Cloud

So he ends it, tells me to just forget about it, and that the conversation should have never started and that I'm giving him a headache.

Cmon now... Wow, some people. I just had to share this story with you guys Tongue
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
RE: Talking to Christians
And I hope you feel much better about yourself now?
Mehmet, I've seen three posts by you now, and they've all irritated me. Why don't you hop over to the Introductions forum and make a wee thread and tell us a bit about yourself so we can understand a little more about where you're coming from?

Loading, good stuff. Sounds like you defended your position robustly, and you know if the shoe was on the other foot and you'd started talking about how great it is being an atheist, he would've been coming back at you. I wouldn't want to spend a long journey having to listen to God nonsense either. Who's your college team, by the way?
Seriously - what game plays at a stadium that doesn't have a hotel within an hour and a half's drive? Big Grin
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(October 2, 2011 at 10:00 am)ElDinero Wrote: Mehmet, I've seen three posts by you now, and they've all irritated me. Why don't you hop over to the Introductions forum and make a wee thread and tell us a bit about yourself so we can understand a little more about where you're coming from?

Loading, good stuff. Sounds like you defended your position robustly, and you know if the shoe was on the other foot and you'd started talking about how great it is being an atheist, he would've been coming back at you. I wouldn't want to spend a long journey having to listen to God nonsense either. Who's your college team, by the way?

I don't understand why you were irritated by me. I hate to do introductions, but I assure you that you'll get to know me in time.
(October 2, 2011 at 9:52 am)Loading Please Wait Wrote: So he ends it, tells me to just forget about it, and that the conversation should have never started and that I'm giving him a headache.

Yeah, thinking can be so hard sometimes.. Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Because your handful of posts have either been little snide digs like the one above, or illustrate your ignorance of atheists. I've responded to you in another thread on a couple of things, so start there. It's polite to do an introduction, especially if you're going to jump in feet first to start peddling stupid bullshit about atheists and atheism, but it's your call.
(October 2, 2011 at 10:05 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: I don't understand why you were irritated by me. I hate to do introductions, but I assure you that you'll get to know me in time.

It doesn't matter if you like to do it or not, you're supposed to. Otherwise few will give you the chance to be known.. Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(October 2, 2011 at 9:55 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: And I hope you feel much better about yourself now?

He was the one who brought it up, I just questioned him and he kept bringing the subject back up! Tongue

(October 2, 2011 at 10:00 am)ElDinero Wrote: Loading, good stuff. Sounds like you defended your position robustly, and you know if the shoe was on the other foot and you'd started talking about how great it is being an atheist, he would've been coming back at you. I wouldn't want to spend a long journey having to listen to God nonsense either. Who's your college team, by the way?

I'm in the band for Nicholls State, I play the tuba and we're in the Southland Conference, which is Louisiana, Texas, and Arkansas. Not a big conference at all.

(October 2, 2011 at 10:04 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Seriously - what game plays at a stadium that doesn't have a hotel within an hour and a half's drive? Big Grin

We stayed at a hotel in downtown San Antonio Friday evening and walked around the Riverwalk and all over downtown San Antonio. We played Texas State, which is in San Marcos, Texas. A decent sized town but with San Antonio a little over an hour away, we just stayed in a hotel that opened up to the Riverwalk in San Antonio.

Seems I'm giving an introduction more about myself now! Tongue
Should have put I'm in the band, not on the football team ha.

The thing is, where I'm from over half of the population is Catholic.
My friend didn't even know I was atheist until today and I've been knowing him for over a year now.
He is a good person, and he even told me that I am a very kind, and caring person.
I guess he thought all atheists were evil or something Devil
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
I had a long talk with my catholic grandparents yesterday. They told me they don't believe in hell and neither do most catholic priests. I started thinking about it and realized that in my 19 years of mass attendance, I rarely heard the word hell. I started digging deep into my memories and the first time I heard of hell as a place and not as a "cuss word" was in 1990 when I watched the movie Ghost, with Patrick Swayze. I asked my mom where those creepy shadow people were taking the bad guys, and she gave me sort of a run down. I was 7 years old. I had heard of heaven and purgatory, and was always told that the worst people paid for their sins for spending eternity in the absence of god.

Luckily, there was no doctrine of fiery lakes in my childhood... then I might've been even more fucked up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Talking animal books LinuxGal 2 488 October 16, 2023 at 8:20 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Talking to mormons Ferrocyanide 31 2920 October 9, 2020 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7809 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why did god only make exactly the number of talking animals that he needed? godlessheatheness 41 8549 March 26, 2017 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Who was "he" talking to? Idontbelieveit 137 21689 February 14, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31244 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51170 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Oh NOES! Talking Animals In Fantasy Stories Nope 13 2868 February 27, 2015 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 15806 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  talking snake justin 16 7591 February 11, 2013 at 5:33 am
Last Post: Confused Ape