Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism WOW!
Atheism WOW!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion...liams.html

I can't even fathom a land where the citizens think the disbelief in gods is a COOL thing.

I am not sure how I feel about that. I think people should be atheists because they have a true understanding and they don't see another viable, rational choice. That is why I'm an atheist, but what do I know?

Angel

Why are you an atheist? Did you start because it was the trend, and all the kids were doing it, and then get hooked? Hehe

I totally agree that atheism is cool, I just want it to be cool for the right, well-informed reasons.... and in America too.

Undecided

RE: Atheism WOW!
I think someone who says they are an atheist because it's "cool" is slightly retarded. I am an atheist because it seemed like the most true belief. Of course looking at the picture of this guy, he probably stays up all night wondering what's hip to the kids today.
If I die and god is real, im so screwed.
I'm an atheist because I was too bored by gods to believe. Unless they're the neat sexy pagan ones with cool powers and some hot actor with a great ass portrays them in a movie... ANYWAY.

Or maybe I'm just too skeptical.

Or actually because I was standing in the shower one day when I was 10 years old, having a good think (as I'm still wont to do) and remembered dad had asked us to pray for my sick grandfather. And realized that no one was really listening up there...except the voices in my head of course, but they've been quiet for a while now.
To clarify - I had no idea what "atheism" really was until about 2-3 years ago. I had never met an openly atheist person, so I hid my disbelief pretty well from everyone around me and just assumed something was wrong with me. When I met my two Richards, it was like someone loosened a tie around my neck. "Hey...we don't believe in god either. Take a chill pill. It's all gravy." I've never looked back.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Might I add into this conversation by stating.

Australia these days is becoming more than more non-religious, despite a record number of children being educated in schools run by churches (particularly by the Roman Catholic Church).

For instance many Christians I have heard are starting to complain about acceptability of anti-christian rhetoric in the public arena for example.

As I see Britain is even more secularized than Australia and the anti-christian rhetoric is even more common. That is despite the Church of England being the state church of England. Not that I believe this is necessarily a bad trend, however as more marginalized the Christian churches become in Australia and England. The more fundamentalist and fanatical in their faith they will come.
undefined
I was actually thinking about becoming Gay because it seems to be very "COOL" right now, and I always try to do what's popular and cool!

[Image: Evolution.png]

(October 5, 2011 at 10:22 pm)aleialoura Wrote: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion...liams.html

I can't even fathom a land where the citizens think the disbelief in gods is a COOL thing.

I am not sure how I feel about that. I think people should be atheists because they have a true understanding and they don't see another viable, rational choice. That is why I'm an atheist, but what do I know?

Angel

Why are you an atheist? Did you start because it was the trend, and all the kids were doing it, and then get hooked? Hehe

I totally agree that atheism is cool, I just want it to be cool for the right, well-informed reasons.... and in America too.

Undecided

Being Atheist because you want to be rebellious and different? I've never heard of an atrocity such as that! Dodgy

Quote: Why are you Atheist?

There is no substantial legitimate to lead me into believing that there is a god, nor will there ever be one. The bible is full of misconceptions, and scientific flaws which present a problem with the storyline of god; thus rendering it incapable of being a reliable FACTUAL resource. When people try to back up their reasoning for the bible with evidence, it is presented in a manner of Straw Man representations of scientific theories that are unreliable due to the improvisation that they are incorrect and have twisted metaphysics. These can range from misrepresentations of evolution such as leading questions like, "if we came from monkeys, how come monkeys are still around today,"; assertions that science is as much of a religious faith as Christianity; and/or misrepresentations about atheism and secular humanism being synonymous with immorality, communism, and/or mass murder.

Rational > Irrational

Quote:Did you start because it was the trend, and all the kids were doing it, and then get hooked?

I never head of this so called trend. Unless being discriminated by religious bigots is somehow cool? I was hooked on Atheism when I was born. Big Grin
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
I didnt become an atheist.
I never believed and have never found anything to sway me to become a believer.
All this religious marlarky with their gods and what not seem like a silly idea to me, always has.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I have always been an atheist, even as a small child I laughed at my gran's crazy ideas about god...

I was born to lose.
Cunt
At a very young age I felt that "this is bullshit" wasn't until the Teen years when all the xtian "friends" displayed their true colours did I solidify into atheism.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I never even believed in Santa...
Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27169 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12497 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12163 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10504 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12023 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38104 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack