Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How i gave up the ghost
How i gave up the ghost
Hi. I have no doubt there is probably a very similar story to mine already written here, so I'll be brief as i can with this. I was born and raised a catholic, though my parents were never overly pushy or strict and never threatened me with hell fire, (we got told about that in school).
Anyway, religion never bothered me much until my early twenties. My first serious relationship had broken down and i was feeling very vulnerable and unsure about the world around me and my place in it. I decided to give faith another chance and consoled myself by cherry picking the new testament for a while, but it felt hollow and hypocritical to me, so I decided to really commit and to fully read the bible, both the old and new testaments. I would like to say that that did it for me, and i lost all my delusions right there, but unfortunately my indoctrinated mind didn't want to accept it. Nevertheless, the realisations I came to after reading the bible helped in making me want to seek out real answers about christianity's origins and true purpose (control), and over the following years i read and read and learned more and more, I went from dawkins to darwin, from hitchens to harris, from sagan to bertrand russell and beyond, and slowly but surely my brain began to wrent itself free from the vapour lock that is christianty and religion in general. There is a certain sense of freedom I got when i finally gave up the ghost, and everyday since has been a happy and free learning experience for me. bring on tomorrow Big Grin
RE: How i gave up the ghost
Welcome Jay,

Another mind free of the shackles! Excellent!
[Image: Evolution.png]

So glad that logic and reason won you over. I was catholic too, and have gone through a similar journey.

I love that free feeling! Nothing like it!

See Jay, the reason you lost your faith is you actually read the bible. I'm certain there would be more atheists if Christians actually read that fairytale nonsense. How could anyone be so stupid?

Welcome.
(October 11, 2011 at 2:10 am)5thHorseman Wrote: See Jay, the reason you lost your faith is you actually read the bible. I'm certain there would be more atheists if Christians actually read that fairytale nonsense. How could anyone be so stupid?

Welcome.

I know that's exactly what got me out of it.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Quote:How could anyone be so stupid?

They'll be along any time now to instruct you. The god gang are as dumb as bags of rocks.
(October 11, 2011 at 2:19 am)Cinjin Wrote:
(October 11, 2011 at 2:10 am)5thHorseman Wrote: See Jay, the reason you lost your faith is you actually read the bible. I'm certain there would be more atheists if Christians actually read that fairytale nonsense. How could anyone be so stupid?

Welcome.

I know that's exactly what got me out of it.

I, not so long ago, tried to believe, started reading Torah, threw it in bin after 70 ish pages.

Some people must be so scared of death or the minuscule chance of it being right that they just go along with it.
hehe, the last time I read through a portion of the Torah, I was doing it because I was playing along with a game of Rhythm's, which made it fun. But when I do it for real I have to keep pen and paper near by so I can furiously rant to myself about whatever I'm reading. And then commit it to a long e-mail to my wonderful long-suffering atheist friend who usually answers like Min does. That book is more full of holes than swiss cheese and nowhere near as interesting as Celtic or Norse mythology.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
+1 for using a nice word like "wrent" Jay Smile

There is no doubt about the purpose of a lot of people within religion being control, especially your inherited flavour.