Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientists find Megavirus
Scientists find Megavirus
A virus so big you can see it with an ordinary light microscope.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15242386

On the subject of pathogens I wonder if viruses were responsible for evolution?
RE: Scientists find Megavirus
You dig up some great news WC.
(October 11, 2011 at 6:39 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: On the subject of pathogens I wonder if viruses were responsible for evolution?

Viruses have undoubtedly played some role in the history evolution. Noted biologist Lynn Margulis (use to be Carl Sagan’s wife), the mother of endosymbiotic theory, has shown us that horizontal gene transfer was a big part of evolution. It is hard to imagine that viruses have not played an important role in our evolution considering that about 10% of human DNA consists of viral insertions. Margulis is on record as saying she believes horizontal transfer is probably at least as important to evolution as natural selection. That’s a controversial position, but so was her stance on endosymbiotic theory when she first published on it in the 60’s.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Quote:Margulis is on record as saying she believes horizontal transfer is probably at least as important to evolution as natural selection.

Wait... What about fucking jesus?!!!
(October 11, 2011 at 9:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Margulis is on record as saying she believes horizontal transfer is probably at least as important to evolution as natural selection.

Wait... What about fucking jesus?!!!

I don’t think sexual reproduction counts as horizontal transfer Min. So fucking Jesus would have little effect unless you got a retrovirus from him. Wink

You count your way and I'll count mine!
One theory for the origin of sexual reproduction was that it counters horizontal gene transfer.
That's what I call intelligent design!
(October 11, 2011 at 11:41 pm)Minimalist Wrote: That's what I call intelligent design!

No doubt.

(October 11, 2011 at 11:40 pm)Chuck Wrote: One theory for the origin of sexual reproduction was that it counters horizontal gene transfer.

Could be but like any successful biological entity viruses seem to have adapted in order to deal with that.

Quote:Coalescent analysis of HERV-K106 3′ LTR sequences representing 51 ethnically diverse individuals suggests that HERV-K106 integrated into the human germ line approximately 150,000 years ago, after the emergence of anatomically modern humans.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ado...ne.0020234

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Our Wold may end, according to leading scientists. Jehanne 8 499 April 15, 2021 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  PERVS beware, scientists are coming for you pigs! Alex K 4 841 August 13, 2017 at 3:50 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Scientists turn "straight" rats into "gay" rats. Foxaèr 20 5618 November 6, 2015 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Blowing Scientists Minds Blondie 34 6324 October 22, 2015 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Scientists discover warm blooded fish. downbeatplumb 4 1848 May 17, 2015 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  One step closer to proving abiogenesis? Scientists create "Near-Living Crystal" Ryantology 41 16354 January 31, 2015 at 3:47 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Scientists: 100 million worlds may have complex alien life in our galaxy pocaracas 14 5206 June 14, 2014 at 10:32 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Researchers Find More Evidence That Dolphins Use Names pocaracas 6 2199 July 25, 2013 at 11:02 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Scientists grow functioning kidney downbeatplumb 7 3627 April 15, 2013 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Crazy Evilutionists find new gaps in the fossil record! Cyberman 0 1123 August 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Cyberman