Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists Cling to Science
Atheists Cling to Science
A brilliant video by eddygoombah. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfQYSEzvU_0

I could not help but head-desk at the end though at his former-friend's response on facebook. Wow...just wow. I'm underwhelmed by some Christians on the best of days, but that 'comment' on his wall really takes the cake. Talk about arguing with the hopelessly convinced.
RE: Atheists Cling to Science
This is a really thought out response, very clear and understandable. I would love for people to speak to me like this, so rational and open and gentle, even though the Christian was pretty mean with the initial approach.

I enjoyed that statement: Science learns.

"Jesus loves you, bro" hm...that wasn't the best response to his long and in depth note. I can see why some of the responses that I've made are upsetting sometimes...they don't hit on the big issue, sometimes. And sometimes I don't respond because I can't think of one positive thing to say.

But I liked this video. Thanks for sharing.
"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." Hebrews 11:6
I know for a fact that the non theists here on this forum made some very well thought out, gentle replies to you, salty. What turned that around was your disregard for facts, your mindless exemplification of your questionable understanding of what hurts people and doesn't, and your smartass responses to reasonable arguments.

He said "Jesus loves you, bro" because he's not equipped with anything other than the same baseless blahblah that he said in the first place, and the veiled truce he offered to his atheist "friend". Christians like him judge science without actually knowing what it is because their faith and their god is all they need to know, actual facts are just stupid and blasphemous. God is the fact, period, because if he's not the fact then what is? Science!!! That's what. Who would want to burn in hell with the queers and the scientists? Not theists, because they believe hell and god exist without question, and to admit being gay is a natural occurrence in nature and that science is the perpetual search and foundation of actual truth is to deny the word of god and to burn in hell.

Yes, science learns. God damns people for being the animals we are, and makes the worst thing you could do be something as wholly ridiculous as denying him because you're a critical thinker while viewing the universe and everything in it objectively. When you have faith that something is true without evidence, the need to learn what is backed by evidence becomes a neutralizer of faith and thereby defeating the purpose of faith.

I am sad for theists. Many of them will die having no real understanding of what they are and how much time they wasted in their lives worrying about what was going to happen when their lives ended.

My reply

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

undefined
I see. I do recall some people being really great when explaining their frustrations, but non one is like this guy because he's not wasting his time on insults of theist intelligence, instead he's explaining the reasons that people trust science in a clear and positive way. I love when people know how to express themselves without babying people and without being condescending. I see you're still working on that. I've also noticed your level of disgust with me is decreasing! Nice!
"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." Hebrews 11:6
Why do I feel that that "Nice!" was evidence of what you don't like in the words of others, Salty?

I think it is a great video. What I wonder is, how long does anyone's patience hold up in the face of arguments which, on the non-secular side, usually end at "because the bible says so." Science is a powerful thing, but it is difficult for it to stand around waiting for those who refuse to learn.

Trying to update my sig ...
That must have been my nephew that said "Jesus loves you, bro." That is something he would, and has, said. There is no talking to him. He is right and that is that.
binnyCoffee
(October 14, 2011 at 9:53 am)Epimethean Wrote: Why do I feel that that "Nice!" was evidence of what you don't like in the words of others, Salty?

I think it is a great video. What I wonder is, how long does anyone's patience hold up in the face of arguments which, on the non-secular side, usually end at "because the bible says so." Science is a powerful thing, but it is difficult for it to stand around waiting for those who refuse to learn.

Nice! = "kudos!"

I think you imisinterpreted my usage, which is normal when you can't hear someone's voice or see their face. The internet doesn't always do well with emotions. Actually, I think she authentically is being nicer to me and I'm grateful for it.

Thank you for expressing that as you did, Salty.
Trying to update my sig ...
Thanks for being so approachable and not just assuming my intentions are bad. I really appreciate that about you.