Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying an Imac
Buying an Imac
Well, the Dell Inspiron desktop HDD shit itself (blue screen) and I cannot format it;get an error "canot format,HDD damaged". Had been playing up for weeks,with screen freezes.Tried everything me and my geek friends could think of,it's stuffed.

That's OK, I 'm fed up with Windows. Today I''m buying a new 27" Imac. This will be immediately by buying "Imac For Dummies"

Did some research and had a play ywith one; it's gorgeous and i want it.

I'm getting the entry model,which is plenty for my needs: Quad pocresor, 2.7Ghz, 4GB RAM (can always add more) 1TB hard drive. The rest of the specs are impressive,including the high definition monitor. Reviews on line are excellent.

The price; lists at $1919,ticket price is $1830. Should be able to get another 5% off.

I'm a little excited. Will give my impressions when I have it set up and have worked out how to use it.

HOT DOG!

RE: Buying an Imac
Mac guy here, you will enjoy. There will be a learning curve based on your experience with windows. There are things you have to do in windows that the Mac has already dealt with for you. No virus protection is needed for the Mac, but you can carry one and send it to a friend, so be careful.

Kudos on your choice. Enjoy! Clap
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Cool machines, though a bit pricey for what you get. My sister-in-law is an artist and adores both of her Macs. I also have a friend who is a professional photographer who cherishes hers. They seem to suit the art/music crowd pretty well.

Let us know what you think after a week or so.
Trying to update my sig ...
Well, I changed my mind,bought an Acer.

I bough a superceded Acer Aspire Z5761 all-in-one touch screen. It lists for $2687. I paid $1600.Plus I get $180 back from Acer.

Simply could not resist:

23inch touch screen. TV receiver, bluetooth,skype and a whole bunch of other stuff.

specs include:

Intel i7 processor 2600S

8GB DDR3 Memory

2TD Hard Drive

Blu-ray/super-multi combo drive

8 usb ports.

Video: NVIDIA GeForce GT420 1024MB

My old Pentium 4 is an Acer; I thimk they're good computers..

Oh ,it has Windows 7 Home Premium. (meh)

The ONLY thing I dont like so far is the(cordless) keyboard layout and the mouse:the arrows are in the wrong place and the mouse has limited functionality. I'm going to swap with my good set.

Overall, I'm so pleased I could just shit. Tiger
You'd get some good cast offs living next to Pad.
As someone who has owned 5 different Acer PCs & laptops, do yourself a favor & get the extended warranty.

YMMV, but my last Acer laptop died exactly 3 days the extended warranty expired. During the warranty I had to send it in for work as well. You would have probably been better off getting the iMac. My mother's has been going strong for almost 9 years now. (G4 lamp style iMac)
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
I've avoided Acers since I heard that the manufacturers warranty expires 24hours after you take delivery. You get a lot of bang for your buck.. but they never make it to my shortlist as a result. Asus.. a completely different kettle of fish. Sony have been known to re-badge them.
(October 17, 2011 at 1:09 am)padraic Wrote: Well, I changed my mind,bought an Acer.

I'm sorry!
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Eh I had an Acer Aspire back in '95. That thing was teal and it rocked. Pentium 75 overclocked to 90, ran for years and years, swiss cheese case design.

"...the illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world."

- Carl Sagan
(October 17, 2011 at 7:45 pm)paintpooper Wrote: Eh I had an Acer Aspire back in '95. That thing was teal and it rocked. Pentium 75 overclocked to 90, ran for years and years, swiss cheese case design.

Yeah, but that was 16 years ago.

"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  more trouble with the Imac; fredd bear 6 460 March 12, 2019 at 2:50 am
Last Post: fredd bear
  Buying a refurbished PC? ReptilianPeon 3 719 July 4, 2015 at 6:19 am
Last Post: bennyboy