Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would God really want?
What would God really want?
Reading through Mark Twain quotes(fanboy), I realized this one was similar to what I have thought many times over.

'The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it.'
-- Mark Twain.

Can an apparently supreme, all knowing deity, truly be so lacking in self respect, or so vain that it needs constant worship?

I think not. I think that if their was a deity of such power to make us, it would prefer people who use the god given intelligence to progress, not spending our lives stroking it's ego.

Wouldn't space in heaven be better give to those who have advanced mankind instead of pointless religious do-nothings like ayatollahs, priests who offer nothing but a total waste of life and time. Surely he would prefer the likes of Einstein, Darwin etc, people who challenged the way we think.

After they died, wouldn't he prefer to say 'well done my pet, you were a great human' to them instead of bootlickers?

Something fishy about people who think a supremely intelligent deity would like to be surrounded by mindless drones. Wtf would they talk about?
RE: What would God really want?
[Image: blasphemer.jpg]
I only said Jehovah.
but... but god loves us so much that if we aren't spending eternity licking his perverbial boots, then...

TORTURE FOREVER!

I'm still constantly bedazzled over the fact that a being singly intelligent enough, immortal, benevolent (supposedly), and so forth gives two shits about which humans are putting what into where, what foods they eat, or whether someone prays six times a day or whatever assinine territorial disputes we murder one another over.
You would think that these issues would be well beyond petty to a being like that.
Nope.

Eat bacon?

TORTURE FOREVER!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1tg46ScP8w
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
God, like his followers, despise knowledge and wisdom. They love ignorance, the stupid are gullible and so easily lead. The wise are independent on thought, and cannot be controlled. No wonder so many great minds were burnt at the stakes.

Why would a god want a population of zombies? Why despise the wise? Because god is a puppet, controlled by the gullible, who have become slaves to their own imagination.

If there is a god out there, I really don't think he'd be any where near as stupid as theists make him out to be. Not this self loving, corrupt dictator. Why send people to hell for questioning his existence? Also the whole all knowing thing is just so contradictive.
Total bollocks the lot of it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
That's so weird, 5th. I was reading Mark Twain quotes earlier today too. I try to read his Wikiquote page fairly often, usually gives me something worth thinking about, or at least to chuckle at.

I honestly think God would like gay people to stop being so darn queer and for pigs to remain off the dinner table and on the sacrifice table where they belong.
Aside from the logics and science why god does not exist, the philosophy of a wanting god basically disproves it's existence.

Why would a god want for anything? What could a god possibly need? What could possibly be gained. After absolute power and knowledge, what is left?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
You are all missing the very important fact that this "Jehovah" was crystallized by the 'down-trodden' and advertised to ill-educated and the poverty-stricken as a great equalizer. God doesn't want the elites - the elites had their own gods who extolled heroes and intellectuals. They wanted someone who would even the playing field by knocking down anyone smarter, stronger, richer, etc, in reward for their absolute faith...which might have been all they had to give.

It was a way to feel better about your own mediocrity, and still is. Years of listening to Christens explain away their lack in every other area except church attendance pretty much seals that opinion.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(October 18, 2011 at 6:31 pm)IATIA Wrote: Aside from the logics and science why god does not exist, the philosophy of a wanting god basically disproves it's existence.

Why would a god want for anything? What could a god possibly need? What could possibly be gained. After absolute power and knowledge, what is left?

LOVE!!!!
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
Quote:LOVE!!!!

Ah, yes....."love!"

Numbers 21

Quote: 34 And the LORD said unto Moses, Fear him not: for I have delivered him into thy hand, and all his people, and his land; and thou shalt do to him as thou didst unto Sihon king of the Amorites, which dwelt at Heshbon.

35 So they smote him, and his sons, and all his people, until there was none left him alive: and they possessed his land.

Such a "lover" that fucking god of yours.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6158 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 78539 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Enough of this crap, I want to hear directly from god Foxaèr 82 5610 December 22, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1398 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would you say to a god if you met one? The Valkyrie 37 4033 June 1, 2018 at 7:05 am
Last Post: brewer
  Would God be an atheist? Martian Mermaid 41 6829 November 16, 2017 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What would you do if you found out that I was God? Aegon 16 2540 October 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What would you do if you found out that God has nothing to do with religions? Little Rik 68 11592 October 8, 2017 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  What would you do if you found out God can't possibly exist? Succubus 21 4615 October 7, 2017 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why do far right Christian-Conservatives want to put Jesus in schools NuclearEnergy 41 8268 February 8, 2017 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Asmodee