Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Marriage
Marriage
Would anyone here concidering to get married, even though it's clearly a religious ritual? I personally wouldn't.
RE: Marriage
There is marriage the ritual, and marriage which gives you legal benefits. That is not something to dismiss off-hand.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I would definitely still consider it, even if only to consider it as a symbol of love for another.

I certainly don't think marriage is unique to religion.
"I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability." Oscar Wilde
My Blog | Why I Don't Believe in God
I am married, what's more I got married in a church (C of E).

This, the fact that it was in a church, is something I deeply regret and hope to rectify this year when we retake our vows after 25 years with our 2 children as witnesses (and no preachers) Smile

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
I'd get married, but only in a state ceremony. Make it the most secular event I could.
Tried marriage and failed.
Story of my life!
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
I don't think I'm ever going to find anyone to marry, so probably not... lol. But besides that reason, traditionally marriage is something used to trap people into traditional roles. Since I'm not a traditional person, I don't see myself needing a silly ritual to validate love. love is love reguardless of that.
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
Actually, I personally think it would take the meaning OUT of a relationship.. (I can't speak for everyone of course - I'm talking at least for me personally anyway).

If two people REALLY love each other they wouldn't need to make some legal and/or religious vow or 'promise' or whatever. They'd just stay together naturally.

I don't really think love is really a narrow rigid thing that can be planned and structured! I personally think marriage kind of undermines the whole thing.

Love is a spontaneous, natural thing - it seems kind of fake (and also actually very like religion I think) to reduce it to a kind of thing like "Yes I promise I definitely really will stay with your for ever and ever and EVER. I promise!".

If two people REALLY love each other naturally, truly and spontaneously - they wouldn't need to make a rigid 'vow' or 'promise' - if they truly love each other - they'll just stay together naturally anyway.

I think marriage can be the glue that can hold two people together that actually aren't so serious that they'd stay together so long if they really loved each other that much... - but WEREN'T married.

And if they really love each other enough to stay together their whole lives - what's the point in making the vow as if it adds more meaning? I think it's more meaningful to stay together naturally and truly - without having to make a legal 'promise' or whatever...

And if it's done just for legal issues then I personally find that very lame and shallow/low and taking the meaning out of things again. But if it really matters that much to whoever does it just for that reason - then it's obviously none of my business.

EvF
(April 6, 2009 at 12:18 am)Rockthatpiano06 Wrote: traditionally marriage is something used to trap people into traditional roles. Since I'm not a traditional person, I don't see myself needing a silly ritual to validate love. love is love reguardless of that.

I agree. I think the promise is important. The commitment to each other. I hate the idea of relationships that don't have that. At any moment either partner can walk out.. it doesn't support 'family'. I had a mate who always used to say marriage is about babies. I didn't like that at the time but I see the sense of it now. If your intention is to make that sort of relationship then commitments are very important. It follows on into your future together.

This is what marriage should be about IMO. Luckily my marriage started like that.
i will never get married at the church, religious marriage is just a pretentious ritual
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Great marriage advice. Jehanne 52 12816 April 22, 2017 at 1:28 pm
Last Post: Crunchy
  Marriage Surnames Tiberius 84 8547 December 4, 2015 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Do you believe in Marriage? ErGingerbreadMandude 61 6783 November 1, 2015 at 4:20 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Marriage is a man and a woman living together rado84 46 7822 July 18, 2015 at 7:48 am
Last Post: abaris
  marriage Phatt Matt s 64 7934 April 12, 2014 at 12:51 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Gay marriage passes in England and Wales! Big Blue Sky 32 10713 June 4, 2013 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Right-wing writer kills himself after marriage equality passes Big Blue Sky 11 2916 May 28, 2013 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: dazzn
  Marriage outdated? Tea Earl Grey Hot 25 7007 May 19, 2013 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Snaghobaa
  NFL player supports gay marriage. Brian37 6 3647 September 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Atheist Marriage Rhizomorph13 22 6164 May 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist