Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skepticism Debunked!!! :P
http://www.victorzammit.com/skeptics/winston.html#4

But seriously; what do you all think?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJ7QA6UraSubYrmCW4YJp...Sax3cLx1iQ]
RE: Skepticism Debunked!!! :P
"Winston Wu"?

ROFLOL

Rubbish of course. When people use that argument, it is being flippant, but that's because the question 'Can you disprove God?' is so stupid and nonsensical. It doesn't deserve our sincerity.

If that person really pressed me and demanded I not be flippant, I'd ask him to disprove one of the other thousands of gods that are sincerely believed by many intelligent people, for whom there is as much anecdotal evidence, as per his criteria. The actual argument is rock solid.

His fifth point on that particular argument about not being able to prove what he had for dinner is a diversionary tactic. He's absolutely right, he can't prove to me what he had for dinner last night or what his thoughts are. But it doesn't matter because they are mundane claims. If somebody says to me 'I had pasta for dinner last night', I've no real reason to disbelieve them, and it's hard to think of a reason that they might be lying. Even if they are lying, what effect does that lie have? We're obviously happy to accept less evidence for more ordinary claims such as this. Once you start claiming things like there's a divine being who created everything and witnesses our every move, I'm not so happy to just accept this, since I can think of many reasons why people would make such a thing up and it's an extraordinary claim.
Oh there are low tech ways of figuring out what someone has recently eaten...........
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 24, 2011 at 3:20 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Oh there are low tech ways of figuring out what someone has recently eaten...........

So their claim is easily falsifiable, and therefore scientific to accept.Devil
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJ7QA6UraSubYrmCW4YJp...Sax3cLx1iQ]
These people will invent any argument to save their fairy tales, pronounce it "Good" and try to move on with their insane beliefs in the supernatural.

Fuck 'em all.
It never ends... never.

[Image: 198-infinity-it-goes-on-forever.jpg]
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
I'll bet he doesn't believe in evolution despite all the evidence.
And herein lies the hypocrisy, Wu accuses atheists of being too skeptical because we won't accept the "evidence" for his woo woo, but will happily reject mountains of proven scientific evidence for an old universe cos it doesn't fit into his little fairytale.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(October 25, 2011 at 12:19 am)Minimalist Wrote: These people will invent any argument to save their fairy tales, pronounce it "Good" and try to move on with their insane beliefs in the supernatural.

Fuck 'em all.

Agreed!
Quote:1) First of all, just because something hasn't been proven and established in mainstream science doesn't mean it doesn't exist or isn't true. If it did, then nothing would exist until proven or discovered. Bacteria and germs would never have caused illnesses until they were proven and discovered, smoking would not cause cancer until it was proven, the planet Pluto would not have existed until it was discovered, etc.

The first statement is an example of the classic theist 'word twisting', such as "Birds grew wings to fly." rather than the proper wording, "Birds fly because they have wings.".

Of course bacteria is responsible for illnesses, but before they were discovered and proven to exist, they were unknown and the cause could have been something else. "Ducks cause typhoid" is as 'valid' as any statement prior to proof. Pluto may not have been in orbit prior to discovery.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Punk Rock Skepticism chimp3 2 766 August 17, 2017 at 10:23 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Pretend skepticism snerie 2 738 June 18, 2017 at 5:16 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Teaching skepticism mihoda 14 2069 January 22, 2017 at 6:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Agnostic Skepticism- My Views RiddledWithFear 76 9079 November 17, 2016 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Pseudo-skepticism chimp3 0 965 July 21, 2016 at 4:43 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Needed: A new sub-subforum: "Skepticism, Pseudoscience & Just Plain Bat Shit Crazy" Whateverist 26 7701 February 16, 2015 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Confused Ape
  False skepticism CapnAwesome 35 11069 December 9, 2012 at 8:37 am
Last Post: Cyberman