Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Jesus Tomb
The Jesus Tomb
I saw a documentary about the possible tomb of Jesus yesterday. Whilst opinion is divided it turns out the Jesus had four brothers and two sisters.

This is apparently well documented and taken as fact by most if not all biblical scholars.

How is it then, with all the discussions I've had with Christians this little fact has never been raised?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: The Jesus Tomb
Because then Mary is not virgin, and *gasp* how could the most revered woman in Christianity HAVE SEX?
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Its not, really, that important a point. How would it come up in conversation? '...and that is why I belive in Christ. By the way, he had sibblings.' woopidedoda!
Was it the documentary by Cameron? If it was it was well dodgy. Evidence was very circumstancial. That's why the christian world was shaken up by it, it was easily shot down.
If it was the Cameron (Titanic) documentary I can track down some refrence on its failings.
'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely? Jer 8:8
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. Groucho Marx
(September 4, 2008 at 9:42 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: Because then Mary is not virgin, and *gasp* how could the most revered woman in Christianity HAVE SEX?

Actually from what I've heard the children came from Joseph in a previous marriege but his former wife died.

(My claim is hearsay)
Yeah I have heard this too, I think they are mentioned in the new testament. Apparently Jesus wanted his brother James to take over the church and not Peter.
It's kind of hard for Jesus to have siblings considering he never existed and the whole story in the New Testament is nothing more than myth and mere fabrication.But if you take the bible as evidence (which in my opinion is very unreliable) then Jesus did have siblings.Here is the biblical passage that states it.And a brief explanation behind it.

Question: Did Jesus have brothers and sisters?

Answer: The scriptures are plain and decided about the fact that Jesus had brothers and sisters. "Is not this the carpenter's son?," the Jews asked, "is not his mother called Mary? And his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas? And his sisters, are thy not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?" (Matt. 13: 55, 56). It is evident that the Greek adelphos (brothers/sisters) is used in the case of Jesus' brothers and sisters in the flesh. There is also no evidence or reason to say that these were Joseph's children by a previous marriage.

As far as the tomb of Jesus goes no one knows where it is because like Jesus it simply does not exist.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

(September 4, 2008 at 11:59 am)Brick-top Wrote:
(September 4, 2008 at 9:42 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: Because then Mary is not virgin, and *gasp* how could the most revered woman in Christianity HAVE SEX?

Actually from what I've heard the children came from Joseph in a previous marriege but his former wife died.

(My claim is hearsay)

Either way kinda irrelevant to the point I was driving at, which is that Christian's tend to have a deluded opinion that Mary was a virgin up until her "assumption." The idea that any of their holy figures, Mary or Jesus, havign sex seems to piss off Christian's, which is in part why "The DaVinci Code" was so outrageous despite it being a work of complete fiction.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Actuly, there is a small group who belive a more diluted form of the 'Da Vinci Code'. Dan Brown spiced it up a bit to make an intresting story, but not complete fiction.
Well the whole myth of Mary being a virgin till death was perpetuated by the catholic church.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus tomb found! << click bait for religious>> ignoramus 17 2802 December 23, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  More "Jesus Tomb Discovery" Stuff DeistPaladin 16 6116 February 28, 2012 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Jesus is trying to tell me something; what is it Jesus? TruthWorthy 32 13054 February 5, 2010 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Dotard