Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weekend at the observatory revisited
Weekend at the observatory revisited
After looking at the data from IC 5146 that I took this weekend and comparing it to data I collected last year, I decided to do a little experiment. I combined all the data I had for this object using Deepskystacker to try to get the most bang for the buck, so to speak. I ended up with an image with a combined exposure of 1 hour and 36 minutes. This is my first attempt to combine data on the same object from two different sessions (something many more professional "amateurs" do often). Here is the result:

[Image: IC5146_1hr36ma-1.jpg]

The stars came out very nice, as did the nebula, although I had expected to see more of the smokey part of the nebula that rings the red part. Still, more of it is visible than either original shows. All and all, I think this is my best effort to date. Considering that our observatory location has average seeing compared to many top observatory locations, I don't think it is too bad.

Note to moderators: If this image is too large, feel free to adjust the size. I wasn't sure how to do it in your forum, and photobucket hiccupped everytime I tried to do it there.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Weekend at the observatory revisited
Thanks for the kudos, Ladies.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weekend at the observatory orogenicman 0 1588 October 23, 2011 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: orogenicman