Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is There Any Point In Solipsism?
Is There Any Point In Solipsism?
Some ideas, like solipsism, just seem completely pointless. Is there really any need for solipsism, or is it just a nice game you can amuse yourself with one lazy Sunday afternoon? I know nobody believes in it, because common sense always prevails, but I don't seem any reason to be trying to disprove it, because once we do, if it is possible, then we'll just say, "right, don't we know exactly the same things as we did when we started off?"
I don't think anybody wishes to live a solipsistic life, because that would just be insane.

RE: Is There Any Point In Solipsism?
No.

And may that bastard 'philosophy' die.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Solipsism isn't pointless; it's entirely accurate. We can't prove anything outside our own minds, because we experience everything through our own minds.

Philosophical solipsism is too often confused with metaphysical solipsism.
(November 1, 2011 at 4:41 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Solipsism isn't pointless; it's entirely accurate. We can't prove anything outside our own minds, because we experience everything through our own minds.

But surely common sense is too demanding; we can't help but listen to it, and believe in it. I know it exists because I can see it, touch it, hear it, smell it. It's surely insane to believe in solipsism, or even consider it being accurate. You can't escape reality; even if someone was a solipsist, they would depart from their delusion constantly.

Solipsism is technically true and it's stupid to spend any significant amount of time thinking about it.

...unless you write sci-fi stories.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(November 1, 2011 at 5:00 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Solipsism is technically true and it's stupid to spend any significant amount of time thinking about it.

I know you shouldn't think about it, because it's absurd. It's too imbecilic. I don't think it is technically true if we know that it isn't true in the first place. I don't think anyone should take it seriously, which is what I'm doing now Tongue

(November 1, 2011 at 5:09 pm)JollyForr Wrote:
(November 1, 2011 at 5:00 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Solipsism is technically true and it's stupid to spend any significant amount of time thinking about it.

I know you shouldn't think about it, because it's absurd. It's too imbecilic. I don't think it is technically true if we know that it isn't true in the first place. I don't think anyone should take it seriously, which is what I'm doing now Tongue

My old German teacher once said she would discuss it this way (her lines in pink).

"We can't know anything is real except that we exist and are experiencing sensations."

*smack*

"Hey, you just smacked me!"

"No, I didn't."
*smack*

"Hey, you just smacked me again!"

"How do you know? You just said you can't be sure of what your senses tell you."
*smack*

"Ow! Quit hitting me!"

"I'm not hitting you. Are you ready to end this conversation yet?"
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(November 1, 2011 at 4:41 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Solipsism isn't pointless; it's entirely accurate. We can't prove anything outside our own minds, because we experience everything through our own minds.

Far from interested as I am... What gives you the idea that it's entirely accurate? Mind describing it? Smile

As I've heard it defined previously... It is tripe. And it only becomes less sound the further they stretch it into metaphysics. It might well be that solipsism as you define it (and minus shit like I think therefore i am and if a tree falls in the Forrest does it make a sound) is quite accurate.

And I admit spite for solipsism due to the arguments Ive heard from them in the past. And a personal disgust for Renee Descartes. Heart
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I'm gonna run with it.

I cannot know anything outside of my own mind. Fortunately I'm not a solipsist and neither is the dreamworld I've invented for myself.

Now Sae, on the other hand....
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm)Vaeolet Lilly Blossom Wrote:

Far from interested as I am... What gives you the idea that it's entirely accurate? Mind describing it? Smile

As I've heard it defined previously... It is tripe. And it only becomes less sound the further they stretch it into metaphysics. It might well be that solipsism as you define it (and minus shit like I think therefore i am and if a tree falls in the Forrest does it make a sound) is quite accurate.

And I admit spite for solipsism due to the arguments Ive heard from them in the past. And a personal disgust for Renee Descartes. Heart
Yeah, I think ol' Rene had to just relax a little bit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the point of multiple types of ethics? Macoleco 12 1100 October 2, 2018 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  What's the point of philosophy any more? I_am_not_mafia 167 25509 March 29, 2018 at 10:22 am
Last Post: stretch3172
  A great point of hypocrisy and discrimination -By Ryan Higa(nigahiga) Heat 2 2688 December 17, 2015 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: Heat
  Moral realism vs moral anti-realism debate is a moot point Pizza 1 1024 March 7, 2015 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  The point to Human Existence? Role of Emotions. LostDays 33 6289 November 14, 2014 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  Is there any way to describe this belief? Adjusted Sanity 21 9875 April 10, 2012 at 5:36 am
Last Post: NoMoreFaith