Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plants and Evolution
Plants and Evolution
http://aobblog.com/2011/11/rocks-versus-clocks/

From The Phytophactor

http://phytophactor.fieldofscience.com/2...eedfetcher

Quote:During a recent interaction with a student who expressed doubts about evolution, they contended “that the fossil record just doesn’t support evolution; it just doesn’t add up.” Translation: I really don’t know anything at all about the fossil record, but most people won’t argue with me because they don’t know any more than I do. Well, that isn’t the case with the Phactor. Do you have an example of where the fossil record just doesn’t add up? “There are too many gaps,” he answered. Like where? “Well, fossils just suddenly appear in the Cambrian,” he said. Do you know that the fossil record of life, microscopic organisms, actually extends back to well over 3 billion years? No, he didn’t know and was only parroting what he had been told, and as a pre-med student he had avoided all those organismal courses where he might have learned some of this. The issue of potential medical students who don't understand or accept evolution is another matter.
Most undergraduate students really don’t know just how extensive our historical knowledge of life is. Some of the publications can be rather overwhelming for undergrads, and especially for amateurs, but if you want to peek at one to give yourself some idea of what is actually known, and in what detail, the AoB Blog provides a description of some work published just a bit ago along with links to the papers. The particular paper highlighted attempts to compare ages of plant lineages based on the earliest known fossils (the minimum age) with ages estimated by various molecular clocks (rates of change in DNA) , which generally provide an earlier age, e.g., rocks versus clocks. A tremendous amount of scholarship is represented in this 45 page long scientific article. It takes me an entire semester to explain enough about plant diversity for this all to make sense.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Plants and Evolution
While we and other creatures were working on locomotion, plants mastered organic chemistry making life even remotely possible for the rest of us oxygen breathing parasites. The flora left its mark in every piece of the fossil record, and continues to do it's thing to this day.

Worship (large)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Every bush is burning, eh? Smile
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
When I went to primary agricultural school, in hindsight i was very much pissed off at the biology curriculum, because evolution was only taught in the last semester. Had they taught it in the first semester of the first year, the whole biology study would have been so much easier to follow. Biology make much more sense if you grasp the basics of the ToE.

Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aquatic plants. The Petunias died on impact. Succubus 17 2742 April 20, 2019 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Lemon Curry
  Nastic Movements in Plants thesummerqueen 14 5750 October 18, 2012 at 11:14 am
Last Post: jonb
Big Grin The Secret Life of Plants... KichigaiNeko 0 1605 March 17, 2012 at 9:42 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  The Secret Life of Plants KichigaiNeko 0 1303 February 10, 2012 at 6:06 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Fairchild's Mule, or Plants are Cooler Than Your God thesummerqueen 0 2931 January 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Plants are Awesome thesummerqueen 15 4435 December 12, 2011 at 3:59 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Bomb Detecting Plants thesummerqueen 8 2843 February 2, 2011 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen